Getting the P-3AT running smooth?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bigpov, Feb 15, 2008.

1. bigpov

bigpov New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I'm new to Kel-Tecs and was pretty leary about getting one after most of the reviews that I had read. As I started learning more I found out about the second generation and was hoping that they had taken care of some of the ftf and fte problems that were plaguing these pistols. Since most of you guys are owners and seem to take lots of pride in them I was wondering if I could get a little advice. As I have read in a few different Threads here there are some things that can be done to help them to run smoother without so many hiccups. The problem is, I haven't found one thread yet that actually goes into detail what those modifications are. Can you guys help? Even pointing me to a different thread would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG,

I would first recommend you just
    -field strip,
    -wipe it down with cleaner,
    -pull a brush through the bore,
    -scrape down any rough edges on the parts that slide together (if you have any)
    -wipe it down with oil lube, and
    -put heavier lube (grease smear) on rails, barrel lug notch, hammer face.

Then
    -load up a magazine,
    -rack the slide to load a round,
    -bump the back of the slide to ensure slide went into battary, and
    -shoot it 2 or 3 magazines, ignoring any time you have to bump the slide or clear a stuck spent

Then repeat cleaning/lube/shoot again

If you are having failures more than bumping first round, try to observe and post the problem you are having and specific details can be provided

3. bigpov

bigpov New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

4. k9cop

k9cop New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    i took it out of the box.  loaded it up and shot 200 rounds with it.  had 4 fte's out of the first hundred rounds and the last 60 or so rounds were trouble free.  didnt do any fluff and buff or special lubrication.  mine is a 2 generation and they seem to have most of the kinks worked out of them.  in my pocket all the time with 7 corbon dpx rounds in it.

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome BP and K9, but K9 don't you know that the sun will not come up and your perp will laugh at you and tie you up with his gangsta cloth if you don't have FMJ in that P3AT  :)  

-Scott (who likes to poke fun at the tiger - which isn't nearly as funny with recent events in the zoo)