Getting acquainted ...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Dec 25, 2009.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I spent a couple hours playing with the P3AT; I had done the F&B yesterday.
    I removed the mold marks from the trigger guard and trigger; it makes a difference.
    Then I addressed the magazine problem; it required a healthy slap to engage the catch.
    Having read that the catch is plastic and the mag should not be slammed in, I decided to take a closer look.
    The front of the magazine well was higher than the back; Laying a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface I dragged the bottom of the gun 25-30 times across the sand paper, cleaned the edges with a X-acto and now it is perfect !!!

I am starting to realize that this little pistol, inexpensively made, can become a "custom" if I do my part. :)

Next, the front sight; need to make it visible at night.

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    "Getting acquainted ..." With the gun or the folks here at KTOG? :)

Have you shot the gun as yet? Find I really like shooting my P3ATs, the grip pads, grip sleeve and pinky mag extensions actually help make them fun guns to shoot.

Take care...

3. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Would those grip pads and sleeves be similar to the ones available from ktaddons? I found that site through this board and I've been thinking about procuring some or something similar. Would like to know how those or similar have worked for people on here. Thanks in advance.

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I have Traction Grips on mine. (www.tractiongrips.com) Don makes a high quality product that eliminates any slippage of the gun in your grip---what little there might be. I don't use recoil absorbing pads though because I don't really think the P3AT needs any help.

5. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I agree, Hogue grip sleeve, keltec mag extension, trimmed off a little makes the gun MUCH easier to shoot. Recoil isn't really that bad though I dont think.

6. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009

Both !!!

Looks like there is a lot to learn on this board and I feel comfortable enough to forget my flame proof vest ;)
    This evening, I did the heat shrink thing, looks really good.

I'll try to go to the range next week, will give a full report.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Yes, KTADDONS is what I have on both my P3ATs. First tried the Hogue grip and although it looked neater than what I have now it just didn't work out for me. I forget why the Hogue didn't work for me, it was several years ago.

Take care...

8. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Thank you sir. I was debating whether or not they would be worth sanding my grips and now I know they will be. As for that hogue, a friend told me it required alot of cutting to fit it properly but it felt too fat and slick in his hand when he was done.

9. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    It does require some cutting to make it fit, that part is a fact, thats just how it is.  The feel of the grip is personal opinion, the only way to know if its for you or not is to try it and develop your own opinion.  If you can check out someone elses thats a great free option.  If not, its only 10 bucks to try your own.   I know I have spent alot more than that on something only to find that I dont like it and it was a waste of money.  For what its worth, I have heard/read of alot more people who do like them than don't.

I personally enjoy working on stuff, so the cutting and fitting work with the grip was enjoyable to me. The self customizing with the guns is half the fun in my book.

10. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    jfl

The Houge grips do make the gun easier to shoot but also does add some resistance to pulling it out of your pocket if you are using a clip. Not much of a problem if you have it in a pocket holster and use a thumb high on grip and index finger pull on the gun. Index finger alongside the slide and not in the trigger guard! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Please don't "slam" the magazine in or you'll wind up with the same problem that MD has. You will wear out the mag release very fast. Press the mag release in while inserting the mag, then release the mag release after the mag is home. Also, press the mag up then the mag release when extracting the mag. Just makes things alot easier.

11. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I agree; actually I just discovered this. The P3AT is the first gun I really worked on (except for installing a "Ghost" trigger on my Glocks).
    I ordered the Hogue grip ... we'll see.

12. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I learned this on my first day on this forum ;D

Didn't think about that !!!
    Thanks for the info.