Getting a P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by whutdidyousay, Mar 14, 2010.

1. whutdidyousay

whutdidyousay New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I'm buying a P3AT that has only had 1 mag thru it from a friend that wants to order a new toy... what do I need to know about them and what are the different "Generations"
    I already own a PF9 that rides in my pocket 24/7 unless I'm asleep, so I'm no stranger to Kel-Tec

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If it is current production, (2nd generation) it will have the same extractor set up as your PF9. That's about all you need to know. It was probably made a month or two before he bought it. There have been no significant changes in a couple years. Don't pay too much as a NIB blued one can be had for about $250. Parkerized and hard chrome guns go for about $20 - $30 more.

3. whutdidyousay

whutdidyousay New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    OK, Thanks....
    I'm paying $250 for it with 2 boxes of defense ammo and 190+ rounds of JHP... prolly not the best deal in town, but it's a friend and he'll make it up sometime....lol

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Oh, that's a good deal, IMO.  First, the gun is essentially new, right?  Second, 2 boxes of SD ammo probably cost $50 and 190 rounds of JHP, even cheap stuff, would be pushing $100 or even more.  You're doing fine, in fact, you may be actually paying $100 or less for the gun. :)

5. 2_E_L_O

2_E_L_O New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    That sounds like a steal, man! Let us know how you like it. I'm loving my PF-9 so far....so a P3AT may be my next purchase!

6. whutdidyousay

whutdidyousay New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    So far I like it alot. I'm getting ready to put my tractiongrips on it right now... I won't be able to shoot it for 2 weeks, but I'm sure it will be great. it sure is nice walking around with my G27 IWB, PF9 on my belt and P3AT in my pocket... I've ordered an ankle holster for my P3AT.

7. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    That's a great deal. Just don't fall in the water with all the iron you're carrying ;D

8. 2_E_L_O

2_E_L_O New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Jeebus....You're an army of one!

9. whutdidyousay

whutdidyousay New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Jeebus....You're an army of one!
    [/quote]

Nope I was a Boy Scout.... Always be prepared....lol

FYI I got the Tractiongrips on and it's like night and day! for $5 you can't go wrong! look them up up in the trading post and order them! The black rubber ones look like factory and feel MUCH better than that stinkin grit tape!

10. 2_E_L_O

2_E_L_O New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Nice work. I have the KTAddOns rubber slip-on sleeve on my PF-9 but I didn't install the little foam pads that come with it. They seemed a little overkill since shooting the PF-9 with the raw grip didn't bother my hand at all. I haven't had a chance to shoot after adding the rubber sleeve.

I plan on taking a CCW course on 3/28 so I'll have to get to the range for a little fun/practice before then!

11. whutdidyousay

whutdidyousay New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    don't know about those grips... on my PF9 I have the Hogue Handall Jr. ..... not that it bothers me, just to keep the gun from slipping... but I might get the Tractiongrips for the PF9 so it's less bulky.

Wait, did I just say PF9 and bulky in the same sentence?.....lol.... Must be getting used to the P3AT!

12. streakpi

streakpi New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    You got a fantastic deal brother! Hell, I bought my P3AT for $219 and 2 boxes of 50ea ammo for $26 each! Ugh. Enjoy the gun!

13. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I agree, with all that ammo. basically you're giving about a hundred bucks for the gun. Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm all for a back up gun, but a back up to your back up.... I think I'd rather replace the third gun with some mags for the other two.

14. whutdidyousay

whutdidyousay New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I forgot to mention that I carry 2 mags for each gun also..... lol Sometimes 3 depending on my coat I"m wearing at the time.

15. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    i own a pf9 p3at p32. if i desired i could carry all three with no discomfort .