Getting a P3-AT...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by pookieguy, Oct 16, 2007.

1. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Wow, first of all, I was quite surprised this board is still around and quite active!!
    I remember posting here years ago when I owned a P-11.
    Nice to see you are all OK! :)

Anyways,
    The bad news is that my P-32 was recently stolen. The good news is that after visiting Kel-Tec Website, I was
    surprised to find the .380. Man, it has been years.

With that said, although it was unfortunate that my trusty P-32 (never ever jammed!) was stolen after so many
    years, at least it is more reason to buy a .380.

OK...the questions! :eek:

I will probably go tomorrow to purchase one. Before I posted, I did quite a bit of research the past couple of days and browsed a bunch of posts on this forum.

I think I like the design of the Second Gen model and will look for it. Is it safe to say then that if the extractor has the button screw, it is a SG? Just want to be sure because they told me they have one in stock for $252 but I haven't seen it yet.

Second question...
    Looks like the preferred ammo for this little gun are the Corbon DPX. Is this correct? What ammo are you all using for carry? (not range shooting)

The third question..
    After browsing this forum, I came across a user who sells the "Nitesiters". Anyone using them? How exactly do they attach and will they work with the SG model? Based on pics alone, looks like they will only work with the First Gens...

I'm sure I have more questions, but that is it for now!
    Good to see you guys again!

2. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    I use Corbon and it works fine.

Yes, the extractor button head screw is a dead give away for a 2nd gen model.

Don't know about the night sights.

3. kaltectom

kaltectom New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    I don't think that you are going to find a NIB first generation. Sounds like a reasonable price that you got........

4. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    [​IMG] Welcome back to the forum pookieguy. I could be wrong but I don`t think that you will find many fans here of night sights. Look around some on the forum and you will see many ways to improve the point of aim. ;)

5. Nitesiter

Nitesiter New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Heya! Well i went and found a bunch of photos of the .380 and yes, Nitesiters will work on them. In the instruction packet i send i actually use a Kel Tec to show how they're put onto guns with smaller sights.

You shouldn't have any issues with them at all.

Dave Presley
    Nitesiters

6. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Dave,
    Good to know! Yes, I placed an order for them this weekend.
    If you could send those out ASAP, I would appreciate it as I
    scheduled a tactical course in the next few days where one of
    the guns used will be the P3-AT. Would like to have them by
    then.

Thanks again,

--mike

7. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I would suggest getting a hard chrome model, other than that, keep it lubed and it will keep shootin'.

8. Nitesiter

Nitesiter New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I'll be shipping them out first thing monday morning and it takes 2 to 5 days to get there. I had a gun show this weekend so was unable to get any orders out on saturday. My apologies!

I hope you can get it in time.

Dave Presley
    Nitesiters

9. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Dave,
    I did get your Nitesiters today (Thursday actually).  Thanks.

The good...

Nice concept and clever packaging.  Install was easy, with the exception of the
    front site on the P3-AT.  Instructions were pretty straighforward and I did install
    it properly but skeptical as to whether or not the front will hold up over time.
    Rear sites, however, are perfect and the "dots" were just the right size when you
    take the time to position them properly.  

Also installed them on my Para .45, which I would like to say were a perfect fit.

The bad...

Nothing related to the actual product, but to be quite honest, I was quite irritated
    by the fact that the product does not ship with enough to install on three guns.
    In fact, it was short just one extra "dot" for install on three.  

Although minor, I still can't get over that and don't understand why...sorry!  >:(  

Anyways,
    For ten bucks, it is really a no-brainer.  They work as advertised and I'm very
    pleased with them so far.  Heck, you can "charge" them by simply pointing a
    high intensity LED keychain light on the sites for just a couple of seconds.  Even
    without the illumination, it is obviously much better than not having them on.

I'm not sure why most here are not fond of night sites.  I've used tritium night
    sites on a few guns over the years and were quite pleased with them.  Regardless,
    I do recommend these to anyone looking for an alternative that does not put
    a hole in your wallet.

Great product...

--mike