Getting a P3-AT Ready to Carry

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sprinter1, Mar 2, 2008.

1. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    A friend of mine has wanted a P3-AT, but didn't want to break one in and made me an offer for my carry P3-AT that I couldn't refuse. I was going to start carrying my PF9, but after a couple of days found it to be bigger and heavier than my old trusty P3-AT. So yesterday I picked up a new blued P3-AT and headed to the shop to get it ready for carry.

I start by fully racking the slide about 100 times to seat the slide and frame followed by dry firing (with snap cap) about 50 times. I then completely disassemble and remove all burrs and sand and polish all the metal parts. I then CBN (Cobalt Boron Nitride) plated it. While it was plating I sanded all the plastic parts and removed the seams and then polished the seams. I also remove about an 1/8" from the end of the trigger and sand and reshape the trigger for better comfort.

After putting it all back together I added some Energy Absorbing Grip pads and a Grip Cover. I then headed to the range....50 rounds of Wal-Mart cheap ammo and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dots without a glitch. Needless to say this is ready to carry.

It is worth the time up front to shorten the break in and have a smooth as silk weapon.

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: New P3-AT

Now that is a DELUX Fluff and BUff! :cool:

3. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC

Believe you know what you're doing! :)

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

That is the way a pistol should be assembled ;)

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

sprinter1,

That's a very detailed F&B! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Obviously you have the tools and the talent to do it.

For those that can't or don't want to try it themselves, would the cost be too high for you to offer it as service?

Bobo

6. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

Bobo,

I already offer the Energy Absorbing Pads and Grip Covers plus the CBN (Cobalt Boron Nitride) plating which includes the polishing. I don't have a BATF License, so I can't receive the frame to work on.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Just curious

why don't you plate the assembly pin, and extractor?

8. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

It actually looks better with the assembly pin not plated. The point on the extractor is critical so I don't want to mess with it.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I agree with the head looking better, but how about the body so it would be CBN against CBN in the barrel lug or would the dissimilar metals be slicker as you have it.

10. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

The CBN is very slick and I use a dry lubricant so it doesn't really matter on the pin body.

11. boatnsc

boatnsc New Member

Sep 22, 2007

HEY Sprinter, did you get your web site up and running for info, maybe l missedit...also can you redo a nickel plated gun

12. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

I hope to have the web site up this week. We have to remove the nickel plating before adding CBN, which will be an additional charge. If you have additional questions or would like to place an order, you can send me a PM or use this contact page: http://www.aglaser.com/grips/contact.html until the web site is ready.

13. boatnsc

boatnsc New Member

Sep 22, 2007

Thanks for your response :)

14. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008

Sprinter you did a beautiful job, that CBN looks soooo nice. Do you do it only on Blued slides or can it be done on both Parkerized and HC.

15. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

It not only has a nice look it has several benefits over Nickel or Chrome plating, it is not yellow colored and does not stain like Nickel, it is non porous which Chrome is porous and can let the base metal rust and show on the surface of the Chrome. It is also harder than Nickel or Chrome and it has built in lubricating properties.

We can remove Parkerized, Nickel or Chrome finish for a $40 additional charge.

16. Re: New P3-AT

Very Nice Sprinter!

I wish more of us would post like this to encourage new KTOGers to fluff and buff. Now the plating... that is indeed impressive.

[​IMG]

17. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL

From the name of this thread I thought it was a report on the "Elsie Pea"  ;)

Jim

18. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

Is the thread name better now :)

19. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Spent my lunch at the range today and fired another flawless 50 rounds. I'm firmly convinced if you give this inexpensive baby a little TLC before firing it you don't have to fire 300-400 rounds to have a very reliable weapon.

20. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Sprinter,

You did an awesome job on it. I am sending you a PM.