Getting a new P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dboat, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I have spent a fair amount of time reading a lot of posts in the forum. I have found a new HC P3AT that I will be ordering tomorrow, (since today is a holiday), and will expect to receive it fairly soon.

When I get it, is a fluff and buff a necessity with the new ones? or is this really a Gen 1 issue? Since I am not a person that even handles guns very often, not sure that I would do a good job of this. So should I get a gunsmith to go over it for me? Or is this something that I just need to go to the range and shoot it a couple of hundred times over the course of 4 or 5 visits? I did read where most are saying dont shoot it at the range more than 50 times at a visit.. the gun really isnt made for that type of shooting.

Please advise
    Dana

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I field stripped mine, removed the factory lubes and performed my own lube routine and fitted it with a cut down Handall Jr.

Other than that, I manually cycled the slide a few dozen times, dry fired it with Snap Caps a few dozen times then punched about 100 FMJ rounds through it at some paper.

I have a laser on order for ir and plan to put another 100 FMJ though it then pick some defense rounds and attach it to my key ring. ;)

As for stopping at 50 rounds I think that's a personal comfort issue.

3. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    It's not that fragile. But it is a special purpose gun. Remember John Malcovich in that movie with Clint Eastwood where he had the two shot wooden pistol? He could have had any pistol in the world but needed one that served that work duty. I don't think he wanted to take the wooden thing out and put 500 rounds through it testing it.
    Well that's how I look at mine, it is for carrying a lot and not shooting much after break in. It's not made for a lot of range time.
    And I never did a fluff. Just lubed it and shot it. It's fine.

4. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    You won't have problems with your chrome model, but I definitely recommend at least taking it apart before you shoot it so that you know what it should feel like to take it apart. And, as long as you have it apart, why not do the lube? No fluff&buff needed for the chrome ones.

5. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Thanks guys.. I really appreciate it..

Dana

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    +1 on the purpose of these guns

They are not range queens. If I put 2000 rounds through either of mine before they close the casket I will have lived a very long time, and that's at ~100 rounds a year for maintenance and practice.

I liked that movie.

In The Line of Fire http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107206/

I think it was a plastic/ceramic composite ... http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a950519.html

Sorry, get caught up in these things sometimes ... it's amazing what Hollywood can invent in a world without physics . :D

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    In the line of fire that's it. Glad somebody else liked it too.

I too had an adjustment dealing with this gun. I was used to my tank Ruger. Then I thought of Malcovich and his wooden or plastic pistol, and it hit me. That is my gun, it's purpose is to be as powerful and light as possible for 7 shots. That's it really. Something I can carry everyday and can get off 7 shots. Then it can break in the Evidence room for all I care after it has saved my life. And
    Nothing else comes close to this gun.
    The new ruger? even if it's great it's still an ounce heavier. I don't want an ounce heavier. An ounce is a silver dollar. Since this is my front pocket carry I don't want the weight of a silver dollar extra. I don't want an extra mag, or a laser sight, or an extended mag. I want the lightest, smallest 7 shot lifesaver made.
    My 7 shot lifesaver. My Malcovich machine. I own it and love it more everyday.

8. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I'd like to join Dana in saying "Thanks guys!" I just bought a new chrome model and had some trepidations over the new gun. Your posts have helped assuage my concerns.

Gary

By the way, I haven't received it yet but, when I do, I'll strip it and lube it as many of you suggested.

9. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    another newbie question..

what are snap caps and where do you get them?

Dana

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Snap caps are dummy ammo with the primary purpose to absorb the impact of the firing pin so that trigger control can be practiced with out worring about damaging the gun.

a gun store will have them, sometimes they are sold in the trading post here