Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
The MDR also has a tiny window to check the chamber. Or, like the RDB it can be turned over for full inspection with the bolt back. At least I think the RDB can do that once the mag' is removed, and who clears a semi-auto without removing the mag'?. The safe is locked and it's been awhile so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I should have been clearer. My reference isn't to disassembly, but to a shooter checking the status of the action while the arm is assembled.
OMG I looked up those rifles and they sure would not win if there was a beauty contest. And I imagine break the bank comes to mind.
For each of the following:

Ruger MKII pistol
Ruger 10/22
SKS
AR
AKM
High Standard
SIG 239
SIG 220
Savage 110
Remington
700 Marlin Biathlon
CZ452
BRNO4
Walther PPK
EAA Witness
Browning Highpower

...checking to see that the arm isn't loaded involves pulling the bolt back and looking at the chamber to see that it is empty.

The fellow who posted the ND story didn't blame the arm, but it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that this arm isn't designed to make that sort of check easy or practical on a range.

I don't disagree about the sense that disassembly would be tidier if I didn't have to account for the full travel of the recoil spring, but that's a quirk to which I can adjust. People complain about the disassembly of MKII Ruger pistols, but once one understands what is going on inside, it's easy to master the quirk.

I don't think the inability to view the chamber with the arm assembled is merely a quirk.

The RDB is a neat item. The adjustable gas block is something for which AR guys pay about a $100. The trigger is great. I am not left handed, but I admire the easy with which the charge handle can be re-oriented. Mine shoot steel cased ammo without issue, and ti gives me pretty good off hand accuracy.

All things equal, I think a modernized FAMAS or SAR-21 would be a better rifle. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I should have been clearer. My reference isn't to disassembly, but to a shooter checking the status of the action while the arm is assembled.

Ruger MKII pistol
Ruger 10/22
SKS
AR
AKM
High Standard
SIG 239
SIG 220
Savage 110
Remington
700 Marlin Biathlon
CZ452
BRNO4
Walther PPK
EAA Witness
Browning Highpower

...checking to see that the arm isn't loaded involves pulling the bolt back and looking at the chamber to see that it is empty.

The fellow who posted the ND story didn't blame the arm, but it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that this arm isn't designed to make that sort of check easy or practical on a range.

I don't disagree about the sense that disassembly would be tidier if I didn't have to account for the full travel of the recoil spring, but that's a quirk to which I can adjust. People complain about the disassembly of MKII Ruger pistols, but once one understands what is going on inside, it's easy to master the quirk.

I don't think the inability to view the chamber with the arm assembled is merely a quirk.

The RDB is a neat item. The adjustable gas block is something for which AR guys pay about a $100. The trigger is great. I am not left handed, but I admire the easy with which the charge handle can be re-oriented. Mine shoot steel cased ammo without issue, and ti gives me pretty good off hand accuracy.

All things equal, I think a modernized FAMAS or SAR-21 would be a better rifle. Just my two cents.
To your final sentence..

Isnt that what the Tavor is..A modernized military bullpup?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I looked at the two mentioned rifles, and they would not win a beauty contest, and must likely break my bank.

Ruger MKII pistol
Ruger 10/22
SKS
AR
AKM
High Standard
SIG 239
SIG 220
Savage 110
Remington
700 Marlin Biathlon
CZ452
BRNO4
Walther PPK
EAA Witness
Browning Highpower

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I had my way, I would make the following changes to a "Gen II" RDB:

1) Redesign the cheek guard to take Magpul cheek risers from the factory (like the Dan Haga Designs version)

2) Redesign the buttpad to take Magpul buttpads for greater variety and additional LOP choices

3) Redesign the magazine well to come lower and be flared internally

4) Modify the pistol grip to have removable palm swells / back straps for shooters with larger hands. Better yet, change the shape and angle to make the pistol grip compatible with Magpul MIAD backstraps and MOE grip cores.

5) Go back to a firing pin design incorporating a firing pin spring

6) Improve the buffer pad design to reduce the chance of the action spring guide not aligning in the pocket during reassembly

7) Change all 'hook' type sling attachment points to QD sockets

8) Feed ramps polished from the factory

9) Reduce the number of gas settings to 10 or fewer. Add numbers or index marks to the gas adjust knob

10) Loctite all fasteners from the factory

11) Discontinue the chunky factory handguard and replace with a slimmer, lightweight MLOK polymer version with integrated QD sockets. Instead of 1913 rail along the bottom, replace with MLOK at 3, 6 and 9 positions. Add 45 degree MLOK slots where the handguard extends past the gas block. Add MLOK slots to all polymer handguards going forward

12) Switch to a .223 Wylde chamber and 1/8 twist barrel.

13) Increase the width / surface area of the bolt stop buttons to make them easier to depress and give the shooter more leverage

·
Registered
327 Posts
If I had my way, I would make the following changes to a "Gen II" RDB:
Honestly by and large that's spot on: Shift to industry de-facto standards. Magpul has basically become that for a lot of comfort-and-fit items.

Also agreed on the foregrip, it's one reason I went with a -C model myself instead of the 17. Especially with the KS7 pump handle having all those lovely M-Lok slots for folks that want them it really makes sense to add them where possible now. I'd even go further and say ditch most of the stock sling mounts, put an M-Lok slot there instead.

Rail works on the top for optics/sights, but anything else M-Lok is taking over with good reason for all the various kibble folks may want.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I really don't understand why KelTec didn't add MLOK to the RDB handguards. Even if they kept the same chunky shape and the 1913 rail on the bottom, it seems like a major missed opportunity to add modularity to the design and allow owners to add flashlights etc.

The fact that they could put it on the KS7 and the Sub 2000 shows that they're fully capable and aware of MLOK, so maybe they just didn't go for it because they produced too many handguards or they need to pay off their mould expenses. Who knows.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You pretty much nailed it at the end, the RDB molds were made ages ago. The KS7 seems to be when they've accepted/adopted M-Lok and taking the 'put a slot anywhere we can' mentality now.

The new "RDB Defender" has a metal foregrip that's literally nothing but M-Lok slots, though that foregrip only fits with pistol-grip trigger housings without breaking out the dremel.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
The MDR also has a tiny window to check the chamber. Or, like the RDB it can be turned over for full inspection with the bolt back. At least I think the RDB can do that once the mag' is removed
The RDB had a hole in the wall between the eject chute and mag well that is aligned to allow a view into the chamber, or at least as good as you're going to get.

To add, yes, just about any malfunction needs to be cleared with magazine removal and chamber inspection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kel-Tec RDB Generation-2 (KTOG Suggestions)

Perfecting a Bullpup Rifle is about listening to owners and improving on a great design with positive input. All ideas are appreciated.

(1). Numerical reference points to accurately 'dial-in' adjustment settings on the gas port is - very much needed.

(2). NiB (Nickel Boron) option on Bolt Carrier Group & Internals would be good for those around moist/humid & salt water conditions.

(3). Brass catcher.

*These are just a few, but let's hear what the forum has to say about things they would like to see done for a better G-2 product.

**Thanks shooters for reading & responding to my 1st thread posting.

All I want is a 6.5 Grendel conversion (should just be barrel and bolt I believe) for my RDB-C!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another point I would like to make would be that checking the chamber on the rdb generally is quite a pain as you have to turn the entire gun upside down, so I would like a gen two to include a sliding cheekweld which could expose the chamber for quicker clearing of malfunctions and chamber checks, something akin to that on the br18 rifle.
BR18-Chamber.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an RDB Defender, and the handguard is a step in the right direction, but they need to find a better way to mount it, and the top rail, that would be my first change - some sort of more secure free floated handguard that attaches to the top rail

Add QD points instead of sling loops, it would have been stupid easy to do, and I'll update tomorrow after I change mine out

modular grip/pistol grip

larger bolt release

decrease LOP, I took about .25" off my Defender model, another .5" and it would be money

Anyone know why the barrel has that big bulge in it about 10" in? I'm not sure what purpose it serves

A poly carb window for the chamber or some other way to check

·
Registered
15 Posts
A poly carb window for the chamber or some other way to check
Honestly that's a pretty good idea for a chamber check mechanism as well. I just don't know if there are any transparent materials capable of withstanding the heat and pressure required for such a purpose.

And regarding a gen 2, the rdb is actually modular enough, that imo, it's possible for someone to make add on parts such as a clear window for a chamber check and an ejection port cover on the lower receiver. I think that this gun, with better distribution would actually be a really good alternative to an ar-15 with it's modular nature and potential for add on parts.

Also, a free float barrel would be nice for a gen 2 as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One thing I would like to see is for KT to continue improving on the RDB platform but with not just civilian but also military audience in mind. Things like chamber check, clearing malfunction, and reliability in harsh conditions are just some of the aspects that the current RDB lacks for it to be considered a more tactical weapon.

Another thing is the ergonomics of the weapon, evidently the US military won't consider something that's too different from the current M4/M16 ergonomics, so I would like to see the mag release moved the front of the trigger like it is on the M4/M16. Many bullpups rifles are already doing this, like the X95 and F90MBR, both are military rifles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1 Copy the X95 mag release
2 free floated handguards
3 Slightly thicker barrel for the Defender
4 Numbered adjustments

That's all folks

41 - 60 of 65 Posts