Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Id like too see a free floated barrel design for accuracy if this thing cud shoot nice groups it would sell even better right now i cant get mine under 4 inches ive only had it a week and have put 300 rounds thru it of different weights brands etc.My rear qd pin broke off a piece on the stock on take down so maybe better plastics or better reinforcement of the qd pin places i know im not the first person for this to happen too but ive had the gun for a week and it already broke and this is only the third time i took it apart.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have no idea how it would be accomplished, but a mag release forward of the trigger would be nice. On a statis range I've never engaged the magazine release "trigger" by mistake but running my RDB at a competition once. I had to plant my feet and lean hard to my left to clear a wall from its left side. In leaning over, I accidentally hit the mag release without knowing it, and as I walked off my magazine slipped out and I looked like an idiot. Now I'm paranoid because I constantly feel my shooting hand wrist rubbing against the side of the mag release

·
Registered
1 Posts
The RDB addresses the primary problems with a Bullpup design very well. Trigger and ejection being the top two. Another is the free-floating barrel. Separation between the handguards and the barrel assembly would be great. The bolt release could be better, a rocker style catch should work. and an ejection port door that closes after each shot would prevent crap from getting in behind the bolt and also allow for a brass catching system. KT did show a brass catcher at one show but if you tip the RDB down brass ends up behind the bolt and causes a failure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd like to see it also chambered in .300AAC BLK. All it would take is a different chamber reamer, everything else should be the same.

Edit: Of course the bore would be .30 and not for .223.
I second the 300 BO but a barrel conversion kit, would love to shoot it suppressed and subsonic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd hope they keep the downward ejection, it is after all what makes the RDB, the RDB. It is what makes this rifle such a dream from a reloading perspective...

I have really only 3 gripes with the rifle as it is -
  1. Firing pin - I'm with Rogue on this. Safety is of primary concern and while MANY rifle designs utilize a free floating firing pin without issue (AR-15 & Mini-14 among them) a titanium pin might be a good idea. I was told by KelTec CS not to be concerned about it, but if my Mini-14 can get away without touching that primer until the trigger is pulled, I'd like my RDB to do the same. No problems yet, hoping it stays that way!
  2. All-Weather option - honestly this was the reason when given the choice between AR and Mini several years back that I went with a Mini-14. I just hate rust and you can't tell me that the RDB wouldn't look badass dressed in black Zytel with brushed stainless steel!
  3. Caliber options - I'd settle for 300 Blackout, but would love to see SAAMI approval of 277 Wolverine and KelTec jump on board to help get that round the love it deserves. Near 6.8 SPC performance without the bolt and magazine headache!
I second the downward ejection.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I second the downward ejection.
I third the downward ejection. That, the mag release, the bolt release, and the safety switch make for a more ambidextrous manual of arms than any other rifle I can think of. Many people think that's not necessary, but those people clearly don't do left/right shoulder transitions or prepare for possibility of their dominant/shooting arm being occupied or unavailable.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I third the downward ejection. That, the mag release, the bolt release, and the safety switch make for a more ambidextrous manual of arms than any other rifle I can think of.
The Desert Tech MDR has even more bilateral controls with a charging handle on both sides and not requiring disassembly to change it over. But it's a lot more $.

I 4th the downward ejection. It was one of the things that sold me on it precisely for shooting either righty or lefty. The MDR also handles righty/lefty ejection extremely well in it's original version.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't believe nobody has brought up the rifle's furniture.

This is a competent weapon encased in the kind of plastic clamshell you would more likely find on a toy gun than a real one. The takedown mechanism needs work as well, since the existing pins will burn a perfect circle in your hand after sustained fire.

(Also the end user needs to be able to scoot that bolt forward, or engage the charging handle in a way that reciprocates, especially since it's buried.)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can't believe nobody has brought up the rifle's furniture.

This is a competent weapon encased in the kind of plastic clamshell you would more likely find on a toy gun than a real one. The takedown mechanism needs work as well, since the existing pins will burn a perfect circle in your hand after sustained fire.

(Also the end user needs to be able to scoot that bolt forward, or engage the charging handle in a way that reciprocates, especially since it's buried.)
I have not but have a Lucky Irishman fore arm. Then again I do not abuse my rifle. I set the scope in and the hunt is on. I see people just run mag after mag, But I prefer to save my ammo when I need it. Of coarse that is me, I'm not downing any one, each to his own stroke.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have not but have a Lucky Irishman fore arm. Then again I do not abuse my rifle. I set the scope in and the hunt is on. I see people just run mag after mag, But I prefer to save my ammo when I need it. Of coarse that is me, I'm not downing any one, each to his own stroke.
Believe me, it's the first thing I bought, but it doesn't address the issues in the back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Believe me, it's the first thing I bought, but it doesn't address the issues in the back.
Never had a problem in 2 years +, hunt hogs from my truck, deer from a stand but never had a heat problem. But then again I most likely fire one shot. Once I have downed what I am after that is it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Geat post idea!

Ambi side eject. Forget about the down eject.
I agree. The worst thing I've read about the RDB is by the fellow here who ran the bolt many times believing he had cleared it, then had a ND. Bottom ejection is a parlour trick that conceals function unduly and necessitates the hammer design.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree. The worst thing I've read about the RDB is by the fellow here who ran the bolt many times believing he had cleared it, then had a ND. Bottom ejection is a parlour trick that conceals function unduly and necessitates the hammer design.
Are there any bullpup rifles that can be shouldered on the left and right without disassembly? I have tried on the Tavor and breathed in a hell of a lot of cancer

·
Registered
393 Posts
Are there any bullpup rifles that can be shouldered on the left and right without disassembly? I have tried on the Tavor and breathed in a hell of a lot of cancer
Well...The Fs2000 (its forward eject) can be but it's kinda fat compared to the rdb (dont think it's made anymore)..

Mdr with its version of forward eject side panels..But its spendy..

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's nice that it can be fired from either side, as is, and it's great that it's less gassy even for right handers. I don't think that is worth an action that shrouds it status in mystery.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's nice that it can be fired from either side, as is, and it's great that it's less gassy even for right handers. I don't think that is worth an action that shrouds it status in mystery.
Normal steps 1-3 of disassembly when the rifle is already shouldered takes only a couple seconds, and... there's the entire chamber layed out in front like a revolver with the cylinder taken out. Safety, pop the forward pins, tug the trigger assembly down to clamshell open, HOURK there's your entire action only a few inches in front of your face, layed bare and accessible.

If anything I'd like to see an extra 'interior cover' that prevents the bolt carrier from springing out further when you first remove the assembly but lets you see the whole action still, just a bit of thin stamped metal to retain it so it doesn't feel like you're about to drop the internals on the ground if you do that motion shouldered.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Normal steps 1-3 of disassembly ...
I should have been clearer. My reference isn't to disassembly, but to a shooter checking the status of the action while the arm is assembled.

For each of the following:

Ruger MKII pistol
Ruger 10/22
SKS
AR
AKM
High Standard
SIG 239
SIG 220
Savage 110
Remington
700 Marlin Biathlon
CZ452
BRNO4
Walther PPK
EAA Witness
Browning Highpower

...checking to see that the arm isn't loaded involves pulling the bolt back and looking at the chamber to see that it is empty.

The fellow who posted the ND story didn't blame the arm, but it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that this arm isn't designed to make that sort of check easy or practical on a range.

I don't disagree about the sense that disassembly would be tidier if I didn't have to account for the full travel of the recoil spring, but that's a quirk to which I can adjust. People complain about the disassembly of MKII Ruger pistols, but once one understands what is going on inside, it's easy to master the quirk.

I don't think the inability to view the chamber with the arm assembled is merely a quirk.

The RDB is a neat item. The adjustable gas block is something for which AR guys pay about a $100. The trigger is great. I am not left handed, but I admire the easy with which the charge handle can be re-oriented. Mine shoot steel cased ammo without issue, and ti gives me pretty good off hand accuracy.

All things equal, I think a modernized FAMAS or SAR-21 would be a better rifle. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
327 Posts
...checking to see that the arm isn't loaded involves pulling the bolt back and looking at the chamber to see that it is empty.
It's the one major issue with bullpup designs (which none of the ones you listed are), but my thought was that the first (and quickly reversible) steps of disassembly essentially are the 'chamber check' in the case of the RDB due to a large chunk of the lower stock being taken up by the ejection chute.

It's a compromise, no question, and it's not as helpful 'on the workbench' either, you're dead to rights there.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts