Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kel-Tec RDB Generation-2 (KTOG Suggestions)

Perfecting a Bullpup Rifle is about listening to owners and improving on a great design with positive input. All ideas are appreciated.

(1). Numerical reference points to accurately 'dial-in' adjustment settings on the gas port is - very much needed.

(2). NiB (Nickel Boron) option on Bolt Carrier Group & Internals would be good for those around moist/humid & salt water conditions.

(3). Brass catcher.

*These are just a few, but let's hear what the forum has to say about things they would like to see done for a better G-2 product.

**Thanks shooters for reading & responding to my 1st thread posting.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Improved firing pin/bolt design with fp spring. Been hearing too many reports of firing doubles.

A handguard assembly the mounts to the lower and not the barrel to eliminate poi shift.

Ejection port dust cover that will open if the bolt cycles. Like an AR.

Better barrel.

Better bolt release

Most of all better QA

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'd like to see it also chambered in .300AAC BLK. All it would take is a different chamber reamer, everything else should be the same.

Edit: Of course the bore would be .30 and not for .223.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Geat post idea!

Ambi side eject. Forget about the down eject.

Hinging lower and bottom BCG removal.
To ease the field stripping and jam clearing process.

AR grip options.

A GOOD firing pin.

Make all foregrips available to purchase.

All stocks have integrated QD sockets.

But stock pad made in Magpul pattern to accept LOP extensions.

Upper receiver and BCG slide rails more affixed to the barrel trunnion to reduce flex and alignment problems.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just out of curiosity..
How much would you pay for a bullpup with these upgrades/changes?

Right now,the Rdb is the best/only @ $650 556 bullpup on the market.
Everything else is closer to 2k.

If they released a Rdb2 with all of these upgrades/changes, would you jump on it now or wait till then came down (at all) in price?

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I would wait for the field reports and reviews to come in, about a year, then bite. sure, Id pay 2k for a higher spec RDB.
So, I guess the next logical question is, there are other BPs out that are higher spec that I could get for 2k now. Why don't I shop those?
I suppose I like what KT is doing, the direction its going wirh this platform, an American owned and operated company and i support them when they offer up a unique product.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would wait for the field reports and reviews to come in, about a year, then bite. sure, Id pay 2k for a higher spec RDB.
So, I guess the next logical question is, there are other BPs out that are higher spec that I could get for 2k now. Why don't I shop those?
I suppose I like what KT is doing, the direction its going wirh this platform, an American owned and operated company and i support them when they offer up a unique product.
That's easy.

Desert Tech MDR might be more your speed (1:8 twist bbl..side eject..integrated qd)

K&M m17 has a 556 bullpup too but it's more an update to the older bushmaster m17...I belive it does take ar pistol grips

At least until Keltec releases another bullpup..But at 650..The Rdb will be king of the bullpups in this price range

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
That's easy.

Desert Tech MDR might be more your speed (1:8 twist bbl..side eject..integrated qd)

K&M m17 has a 556 bullpup too but it's more an update to the older bushmaster m17...I belive it does take ar pistol grips

At least until Keltec releases another bullpup
It would be a close second to a TAVOR X95

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
yes, the twist rate and the Wylde chambering are tempting.
I would have to see how the MDR breaks down. I know the X95 rear but plate opens and everything but the barrel slides out. in terms of field maintenance, that's very impressive.
I could overlook the twist for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd hope they keep the downward ejection, it is after all what makes the RDB, the RDB. It is what makes this rifle such a dream from a reloading perspective...

I have really only 3 gripes with the rifle as it is -
  1. Firing pin - I'm with Rogue on this. Safety is of primary concern and while MANY rifle designs utilize a free floating firing pin without issue (AR-15 & Mini-14 among them) a titanium pin might be a good idea. I was told by KelTec CS not to be concerned about it, but if my Mini-14 can get away without touching that primer until the trigger is pulled, I'd like my RDB to do the same. No problems yet, hoping it stays that way!
  2. All-Weather option - honestly this was the reason when given the choice between AR and Mini several years back that I went with a Mini-14. I just hate rust and you can't tell me that the RDB wouldn't look badass dressed in black Zytel with brushed stainless steel!
  3. Caliber options - I'd settle for 300 Blackout, but would love to see SAAMI approval of 277 Wolverine and KelTec jump on board to help get that round the love it deserves. Near 6.8 SPC performance without the bolt and magazine headache!

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's easy.

At least until Keltec releases another bullpup..But at 650..The Rdb will be king of the bullpups in this price range
Does the MDR have adjustable gas?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeah FD, 6 is plenty. When the MDR first came out they had 3 and that was too few and folks were having problems.

More adjustments, like the RDB, can be problems as well. It has also led to problems with other rifles.

The problem, if it can be called that, with an improved RDB is that it's already been done with the MDR, Tavor, and such. Increasing the price and going up against them while still having the design issues the RDB has I don't think would sell. A range gun, OK I can see the RDB being that. A HD gun, that too (suppressed) and I've used it in that role, but to be in the same league as the ones I mentioned it will fail IMO. The cost as compared to what it is just isn't there. Understand that while I write this and own one and like it, but one must be clear on just what price niche and role the gun is intended for.

Having written that I have no doubt that KT CS keeps track of exactly what gets repaired and works on solutions with their suppliers. It's much less expensive to make a firing pin that won't break and not be returned than to make a slightly less costly one that will require the return of the gun and rework it to make it right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am unaware of any actual "Generations" of the RDB. This is more or less a wishlist for things some people might like to see on an updated version of the rifle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just purchased my RDB a week ago and haven’t fired it yet. How do I know which generation rifle I have?
Only one 'generation' currently, this is all wishful thinking for features folks would like to see on the platform.

Mostly they really are extra parts that could be bought such as a replacement rear ejection port section that could allow your choice of side-eject instead of downwards eject is an obvious example, other calibers that can fit in the normal AR-15 magazine footprint is another, and a different firing pin design that's more suitable for ammo with sensitive primers since the RDB is finding some degree of success in target shooting now.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts