Gen 3? I should've waited to upgrade - maybe

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Popeye1959, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Zion, IL
    So I hear now there is a Gen 3 in the works. I hear tell they are bringing back the threaded receiver for the bolt tube nut to thread on to. I wonder what else they will upgrade?

2. Feldwebel Wolfenstool

Feldwebel Wolfenstool Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Would be nice to have a small stash space in the buttstock for batteries. allen keys, pull-thru, brush, etc...

TJB63 likes this.

3. dred

dred Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Gulf Coast Texas
    @Popeye1959 ... can you link or share your source. I'm just a simple man that has learned to trust my skepticism out here in interspace.

It's great news if there is actual meat on the bone :yum:.

4. Shoothemoon

Shoothemoon Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Mexico, Missouri
    Popeye where are you?

5. SixPackABS

SixPackABS Active Member

Jan 22, 2018
    The Gen3 will have 3 mag tubes?

6. Brasky

Brasky Active Member

Jul 22, 2017
    A model with a detachable barrel that you can swap from 9 to 40 would be awesome but I won't get my hopes up

850sub likes this.
  7. Shoothemoon

Shoothemoon Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Mexico, Missouri
    I agree that would be great. The bolt would also need changing.

8. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Things I would like to see on a Gen3, but probably never will:

1. Picatinny rails on the SIDES of the forearm, so a light/laser clamped on there won't get in the way of the folded assembly, nor would it obstruct one's grip;
    2. Factory-available clamps you can mount on those side rails where you can mount a spare magazine (although I just got an awesome idea for mounting strong magnets on the sides of the forearm to perhaps get the same result ... hmmm...);
    3. A thicker charging bolt handle/knob;
    4. Either taller sights OR some kind of factory-installed THICK rubber padding on the buffer tube. As it is and always has been, the sights sit too low and there is no drop to the stock (necessary due to the buffer tube, I know) to make it easy to get your eye lined up with the sights without scrunching down uncomfortably tight against the receiver ... and then it mildly "punches" you with every shot. Even with the aftermarket rubber "pad" I installed on mine to help with the feel of that thing knocking you in the cheek with every shot, it still sucks. A thicker rubber insulator would be the cheaper and simpler solution, rather than tall sights that would require redesigning the folding latch mechanism, but either would still be nice as a factory feature;
    5. Some kinda factory-available recoil butt pad, perhaps even incorporated into the stock design, itself ... especially on .40 S&W models. At the very least, could we get a ROUNDED buttstock? The S2K in 9mm doesn't recoil THAT much, but those squared-off edges DO NOT feel good against your shoulder after awhile, especially if you're not wearing a coat or something at the time.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

9. TJB63

TJB63 Active Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'll throw my 2 cents in on 'improvements' I'd like to see,
    (1) Butt-stock storage space as stated above.
    (2) Thinking of the Ruger PC9 Carbine - Go with interchangeable Mag-Wells for Glock, S&W, Beretta, Springfield etc..then it's just a matter of buying the module you want.
    (3) Some type of Cheek rest other than just the bare metal tube
    (4) a better method of Red-Dot attachment that still allows for the carbine to be folded with scope attached. (Thinking something like the red lion rotating hand-guard here.)
    (5) Steel mag release like the PF9

All in All though, I can't knock it for what it is, Kel-Tec did a great job with the Gen 2 as is and most of my thoughts could or have been be addressed by After-Market companies with the exception of the Mag-well interchangeability.

10. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy Member

Feb 14, 2018
    I agree 100%. While I really do like my RLP forend (the fit/finish is great), it is kind of a shame someone had to figure out an after market solution for a problem that a good majority of sub2k owners will have to deal with. It is also a shame that Ketec didn't really fix this issue at all with the gen2. Sure, some are fine with just iron sights, but of all the pics I've seen here, almost everyone has some type of red dot/scope.

My 2 cents on this is to skip the fixed factory iron sights for a 2 piece rail that extends the full length of both halves of the rifle and offer flip up rail sights. Then, change the orientation of the folding hinge so that instead of the barrel folding up (and in the way of a scope), it flips to one side leaving the top rails accessible when folded.

Aside from that, the only other thing I'd think I'd consider an improvement would be if they could figure out a way to keep the charging handle from reciprocating upon firing while still maintaining the simplicity of this type of blowback action. Basically just dreaming on that one.

11. Caseylain

Caseylain Member

Feb 5, 2018
    A side folder wouldn't work. Think about the forces at work when you fire the gun. They are mostly up, down, back and forward. Placing the locking points at the top and bottom stabilize the barrel vertically where most of the strain will be. The top hinge is shaped like a triangle for a reason.

They will need to come up with something like the RLP forend. Though hopefully cheaper and lighter. Even a simple hinged, flip out of the way top rail would be nice.

12. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy Member

Feb 14, 2018
    You very well might be right. I just figured if the recoil and muzzle rise works on a up/down and front/back planes, then a side fold joint would actually remove the weakness by not allowing any bend on the same planes. Theoretically, there should be very little lateral movement unless the carbine is unbalanced, so a laterally folding joint should see little firing force. I'm no engineer though.

13. Caseylain

Caseylain Member

Feb 5, 2018
    It would depend on how it locks up. If the barrel is physically seated against a metal receiver in a very tight and secure manner it might work. In the Sub as it is, the only 2 points where the barrel assembly and receiver assembly are physically contacting enough to provide support IS the hinge and lockup.

14. sailsail

sailsail Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Maybe it is just an upgrade to make the tube threaded? Not a gen three.