Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I recently purchased a KSG. Took it out. Brought home to clean, dissassembled it and then the issue began. Upon assembling it back the mag tubes seem to not go far enough to be screwed in and there is a gap between assemblies when I push hard enough to get the screws to actually work. Starting to think I have a faulty product.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
I would think you put it back together wrong...seems to happen a lot.

Someone should be around to help you before long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same Problem

I am having the same problem; brand new out of the box; disassembled and lubed before shooting; the above post shows the picture from the manual demonstrating the gap that I see when I try to reassemble; had to tap barrel assembly not so gently on carpeted floor to get it to seat enough for screws to even engage; but once engaged they barely turned a full turn (in half turn increments) before I cannot tighten them anymore; at that point there is no play between the two assemblies (which is suppose to confirm full seating); the gap that I am seeing between my assemblies appears larger than any possible remaining depth available in the muzzle seat; is this an outdated photo in the manual, perhaps from the prior generation? anyone else have screws tightened all the way with no play, yet a gap still showing between assemblies that appears larger than the space/depth available for seating in the muzzle seat? thanks for any responses

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
anyone else have screws tightened all the way with no play, yet a gap still showing between assemblies that appears larger than the space/depth available for seating in the muzzle seat? thanks for any responses
I may be be wrong about this so I will preface each one with "I believe".
"I believe" that the problem comes from the old days where you disassembled a pump shotgun by first removing the barrel and the last thing you did when you reassembled it was to put the barrel on.
"I believe" the KSG is opposite and the first thing you do when reassembling it is to marry the barrel to the magazine tubes and receiver.
"I believe" that people may be trying to reassemble the barrel to the receiver with the trigger housing, bolt or rear stock piece already in the receiver.
"I believe" that it is not possible for it to go together that way:eek:.
The official manual with assembly instructions is online HERE in PDF form and shows the same picture of the 'gap'.
"I believe (this link is different:))" that the mag-tube plugs were changed in the newest models to try to make improper assembly nearly impossible.

If I'm wrong, I'm certain a 'true guru' will show up to correct me and we will all have the :quote:correct:quote: answer:D.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thx for response: fyi, I just followed the steps in the manual; what is interesting/confusing is that when the gap is present, the stop actuator is in contact with the welded cross bar on the magazines; since the cross bar is part of the barrel assembly and the stop actuator is part of the receiver, with no room for further movement, I don't see how the gap can be closed; anyway, the firearm is off to keltec per warranty; little frustrating right out of the box; scrump

·
Registered
4 Posts
follow up

thx for response; fyi I followed the steps in the manual which entail joining barrel and receiver assemblies prior to putting the other stuff back on; what is interesting/confusing is that with the gap present, the stop actuator is in contact with the welded cross bar on the magazines, so any further movement of the two assemblies towards each other cannot happen; anyway, the ksg is off to keltec per warranty coverage; brand new out of the box - a little frustrating - but I have had much more expensive stuff not work coming right out of the box too! scrump

·
Registered
563 Posts
One thing I noticed on my own KSG, was that the barrel fits TIGHT to the receiver. As such, I pretty much have to walk the barrel off using the two screws, about 1/3 turn at a time. Going back on, same thing I have to get both screws tight, press the barrel on some more, tighten screws some more, press barrel... you get the idea.

After a few disassemble/reassemble sessions, I was able to see the wear marks, and give those spots a very VERY light "finesse", and now the barrel goes on and off with zero issues, just work both screws until it seats.

YMMV

·
Registered
4 Posts
my mistake

oops! my mistake - the stop actuator and the bar it abuts on the magazines are part of the receiver assembly, so no mystery there; took the ksg back to seller and they tried unsuccessfully to reassemble it; so it's on it's way back to kel-tec for warranty "repair."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.