Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Suggest you take a look at some of the cloth/material holsters out there as well.  I am really fond of this:

from www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com.  Do a search for that website link here on KTOG and you will find more discussion about them.

I now have about 6 holsters including several beautiful custom molded leather ones and the one you see above is still in my top 3.

Edited to add: I was thinking you were looking for "low $" stuff so I didn't say anything about it more specifically but since KMan answered you I thought I ought to be more clear and direct that the pocket holsters at K&D Holsters www.kdholsters.com are the beautiful custom ones I have and are the reasons why the one I showed above is #3...

-Scott

·
Registered
430 Posts
patrickstickler said:
I've been considering the other Galco pocket holster

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=774&CatalogID=391

I wonder if anyone has any experience with that model, and any clue why it is double the cost of the other.
The original holster linked to appears to be made from suede leather. That's what they mean in their description: "premium center cut steerhide." In fairly short order, it will become soft and very pliable - kind of like the Uncle Mikes nylon holsters. Suede leather is tanned by, in part, chromium salt. The fuzziness of the suede retains moisture and grit for an extended time, thus exposing the metal parts of the gun to harmful elements.

The other holster is made from the top layer of the hide. It's veg tanned and is a much better quality leather (for the most part - depending on who does the tanning) and makes for a higher quality holster.

·
Registered
394 Posts
K-Man said:
The original holster linked to appears to be made from suede leather.  That's what they mean in their description: "premium center cut steerhide."  In fairly short order, it will become soft and very pliable - kind of like the Uncle Mikes nylon holsters.  Suede leather is tanned by, in part, chromium salt.  The fuzziness of the suede retains moisture and grit for an extended time, thus exposing the metal parts of the gun to harmful elements.

The other holster is made from the top layer of the hide.  It's veg tanned and is a much better quality leather (for the most part - depending on who does the tanning) and makes for a higher quality holster.
K-Man is the authority. I have several of K & D holsters and they are as good as you can get.
I would have more but I am an impatient man.

I did not know about the harmful elements but I will certainly heed his advice.

The Galco does stay in my pocket when I draw and it is light weight. I guess that is what was meant by cheap leather. But it works.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Drawing from the pocket pal is extremely easy once you get used to it. I usually carry with a slightly different configuration than in the picture which is even easier. I use the +1 on the magazine in the weapon and a standard, no extension magazine in the extra slot. That leaves LOTS of room to get your fingers around the weapon.

One of the things I like about pocketting is the ability to have the gun in my hand in anticipation. But even if I didn't I can get my hand in and draw pretty fast depending on what I am wearing.

I used to boot carry a fair amount in the same holster shown above using the clip to keep the weapon at the top of my boot but I realized that I was kind of screwed if surprised. Now I pretty much carry pocket or www.smartcarry.com depending on what I am wearing and how bad I need to conceal or concealing is less of an issue IWB with K&Ds mini defender.

-Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.