G19 gen2 SUB-2000 issues...anyone experience these?

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by evi1joe, Sep 24, 2018.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe Active Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Brand new gun. I have the following problems:

1) My front sight post had to be moved 90% to the left side to be on at 17 yards--it wasn't THAT bad until I started trying to shoot steel plates for speed, and then it was annoying.

2) IF I slap my 17rd or 33rd mags in my Gen2 G19 SUB-2K, the mags will go TOO HIGH, and the bolt will then slam into the mags, and not push the rounds forward. I wondered if I could have re-installed the mag release upside down, but it doesn't seem possible or if it would cause this issue. ** -- I installed the M*Carbo steel feedramp and curved trigger (but the trigger is too short and forces my finger to move up--it lands naturally right on the point--so I'm switching to the flatter trigger).

2. Steve Saunders

Steve Saunders Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    I have a G17-based model purchased in July (2018). I had to adjust windage, but not to the extent you report. I currently run a red dot on an adjustable height QD riser and performed the rear sight mod to allow it to fold forward (I know, wasn't part of your question/issue).

I've only run the supplied Magpul G17 magazine and it's twin that I purchased at the same time as the weapon. I've not had any issues, but then these magazines don't protrude from the base of the grip like a G17 or 33 round magazine would on your weapon.

My weapon is basically stock, other than a bolt tube cover and recoil buffer from Tacticool - and the red dot an rear sight mod.

Best of luck!
    Steve

3. evi1joe

evi1joe Active Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Okay.
    AFTER I polished the bolt-weight and bolt a bit, AND lubed it up a LOT, what I'm now seeing is that EVEN THOUGH the magazine CAN go too high, that when I release the bolt by knocking it out of the locked position, it will USUALLY knock the magazine back down and rack a round into the chamber. Sometimes I still have to pull the bolt back and release it a second time.
    So I THINK it's "breaking in", but I have a question:
    ** CAN OTHERS INSERT A GLOCK 33rd MAG (or 17rd in a G19 S2K) INTO THE GUN WITH A LITTLE FORCE AND THEN THE MAG WILL HAVE TO BE PULLED OUT MANUALLY WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE MAG-RELEASE? (That is, it gets stuck up in there pretty good and definitely, won't drop free.)
    -----

I'm still sending it in for the front sight post (which I think is canted a little--why else would my front sight post need to be all the way over to hit center at 15-17 yards?).
    I included some M*Carbo stuff for them to install. Gun goes out tomorrow since I ran out of time today.

Steve Saunders likes this.
  4. RDHart

RDHart Member

May 19, 2018
    Yes I have had the same magazine problem as you. It is caused by using magazines longer than the stock magazine. "The base plate is the mag stop as it rests against the hand grip when inserted."

I use the ETS 22 round magazines and they will jam if over inserted. What you have to do is insert them on a closed bolt. As Kel-Tec intended or buy/make a indexing collar or “magazine sleeve to put around your magazines.

Here is a commercial example.

https://www.glockstore.com/Magazine-Sleeve-For-Glocks?quantity=1&color=1

hope this helps, Roger

3wbdriver and evi1joe like this.
  5. evi1joe

evi1joe Active Member

Sep 22, 2007
    My fear is that, while firing, I'll go to rest the gun on the mag or hit it and accidentally knock it up too hard (and into the way of the bolt).
    I hate to put sleeves on all my mags (and wish there was a simple basic rectangular sleeve), but the gun will mainly be carried with just one G17 mag and G18--33rd--mag, so that would only mean two sleeves.

6. RDHart

RDHart Member

May 19, 2018
    Well I’m just rambling here, but recently I've been thinking.

My sub2K is a G17 version and I've got six ETS 22 round magazines “transparent Smoke”. I'm wondering if I should cut one apart and take sections of the polymer from the front “Bullet end” & back ”Primer end” cut into small pieces say half inch long and glue them to my other 22 round magazines. Test for Placement location by inserting a loaded magazine with the bolt closed. Then cycling cartridges to see that they are feeding correctly.

I could mark this magazine with a scribe then glue a section piece on the front and back side of the marked magazine to act as mag stops. With a good “chemically matching” polymer glue the joints would be permanent and you would have to look close to even notice what I had done….

Now I know glueing polymers can be tricky. I haven't tried in many years. But I understand the glues are fairly common now...

evi1joe likes this.
  7. evi1joe

evi1joe Active Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Ah, a makeshift over-insertion tab.
    You could probably find a material that would work without sacrificing a mag. I'd think any strong material would work.

I guess, most of the time, most people are going to be inserting on a closed bolt; however, I leave my bolt locked open to the rear with a mag inserted at home. When I got to the range and slammed the mag-release downward, it slammed into the rear of my mag and didn't load a round--very disconcerting.

HOWEVER, I WILL say that after polishing it and coating it in lube, it seems to generate enough force to actually PUSH the magazine DOWN and out of the way--so the bolt MUST have an angle on it where it is HITTING the rear of the magazine.

BUT since I ONLY have a G19, I could totally glue an over-insertion tab onto my mags.

8. Steve Saunders

Aug 5, 2018
    I've been struggling to NOT ask this question, but now I give in. No disrespect intended, but why buy the G19 version if you were going to use the longer G17 and G33 magazines? I can wrap my head around buying the G17 version and trying out the 33 round 'fun sticks'. Just asking. ;)

Patriot one and evi1joe like this.
  9. evi1joe

evi1joe Active Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Heh, no offense taken.
    My reasons, in order-->
    1) While I DO have 5-6 G17 mags and 5-6 33rd G18 mags, I have like 20 G19 mags, because the only glock I still own is my G19. SO I figured it might be best to get the one that would hold ALL my mags, versus having a G17 SUB-2K and accidentally grabbing a G19 mag somehow.
    2) It was $379 brand new with free shipping. The G17s I saw were like $439.
    3) It's a TINY bit smaller, and one of my bags holds it but just barely with a G19 mag in it (though I'll likely find a slightly bigger bag). My preferred carry method will be with a G17 in the mag and a 33rd mag with three ranger-bands holding the mag to the side of the handguard.

10. Steve Saunders

Aug 5, 2018
    Fair enough. I have a Glock 17 - but I don't use my OEM Glock magazines in the S2K. I use the supplied Magpul and 2 additional Magpuls that I purchased with the weapon. Why not my OEM magazines? Somewhere I read the S2K magazine catches wear on the magazines and I want to ensure they work when I need them to work.

Patriot one likes this.
  11. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    6,000+ rounds through my most fired one and I haven't seen any wear on the 8 or so Glock factory mags that I use. I don't use extended magazines in any of my G22 versions so I don't have any trouble with smacking the magazine home either. But I also cannot recall this particular problem being reported before you and RDHart in my many years here as a member.

Of course on the Sub2K with no last round hold open I rarely have the bolt locked back when inserting a fresh mag. It is a split grip with some flex allowed.

For the OP, maybe you need to rethink your manual of arms where just the Sub2K is concerned? I know on my P3AT I keep the mag release depressed while dropping AND inserting a fresh magazine because that mag catch is plastic, and will eventually shave down if I don't. I found the metal feed lips on the P3AT magazine are quite sharp and I adapted my magazine exchange on that gun accordingly. On my Sub2K I stopped slapping the charging handle out of the hold back slot after I had one break while shooting through a magazine. Whether doing the cool slap thing contributed or not I cannot say, but I'm sure it didn't help. So I simply stopped doing it.

12. RDHart

RDHart Member

May 19, 2018
    Yes I have at least a few bad habits, probably from spending 60+ years with a .22... As in after firing the last round I always check to be sure it wasn’t a dud. And wind up locking the bolt open before inserting a fresh magazine.

For the Sub 2k it's not the best way to do it I realize that....

RDHart ?:^)

3wbdriver likes this.
  13. evi1joe

evi1joe Active Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Yeah. Keeping the bolt closed won't be a problem. I don't have anything else to do (optic is auto-on when a mouse farts within a few feet of it), so racking a round into it won't be an issue (especially now that I've got a nice, smooth metal feedramp).

ARE there any reports on these liking lighter or heavier ammo? I was planning on shooting 115 and 124 American Eagle for practice, and using 124 HST for HD or truck gun. But sometimes I do find deals on 147 or flat-nosed WWB.

14. Steve Saunders

Aug 5, 2018
    All I've fed mine is 124 American Eagle and S&B. No issues. I would expect it to digest 115 too. Most likely candidate for me for that would be Winchester White Box (WWB).
    Steve

15. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    In general they seem to prefer a heavier weight bullet since both the 9mm and the 40 S&W versions use the same recoil spring. But once they are well broken in the 9mm's should feed pretty much any weight you give them.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I have had mine out in a long-long time due to the front sight being so far out of whack. I just ****es me off that I have to send it back to the factory to get the updated one installed.

Mine is a G17 version, Magpul mags don't like to come out. Last time I shot one I had to pry it out.