G17 high cap Mag Summary

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Gaujo, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gaujo

Gaujo Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Guys I searched and couldn't find a really good summary of where we stand with mags. I'm looking at high cap mags and want to buy about 4 or 5. I'm looking for feedback on Gen 2 G17 magwell fit please.

Choices:
    • Glock 33rd
    • ETS clear 31rd
    • Magpul 27rd
    • Magpul 21rd
    • KCI 33rd knockoffs
    I saw someone say the ETS are too tight, and another say they drop free. I also saw multiple reports the the magpul 17 does not drop free. Some said they thought it was because the 17 mag is so light. Is that true, and does it apply to the magpul 21 and 27?

If you guys will reply about specific mags I will roll up the feedback in a summary for posterity, and maybe it will be worth a sticky eventually. Please reply like this

MAG TYPE: (If glock please list generation)
    DROP FREE: (Y/N)
    FEED STEEL: (Y/N)
    RELIABILITY: (1 = bad to 10 = never failed)
    QUALITY: (1 = rough to 10 = well finished)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. VegasSub2K

VegasSub2K Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Have the Glock and Magpul high cap mags and have never had any issues with either, both in my Sub 2K and my Glock 17.

3. Gaujo

Gaujo Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Do your magpuls feed steel case?

4. VegasSub2K

VegasSub2K Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I don't buy steel cased ammo as per KT's recommendation re: Sub 2K but I have used it in my Glock 17 pistol without issue. I prefer brass casings personally.

5. Brasky

Brasky Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Purchase the factory Glock mags. Watch midway USA for sales and they can be had for $25 shipped. Mine feed anything and everything.

My ETS 31rd mag gave up after about 200 rounds and now the follower consistently sticks

6. yamadog35

yamadog35 Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I have the 32/33 rounders from Glock, SGM, and ETS.

All have worked perfectly for me in my Gen2-G17 sub as well as in my AR-9 and my various Glock pistols. In my Sub the ETS don't drop free but pull out easily (they do drop free in my AR and pistols). I highly recommend the SGM mags. They are steel reinforced and look pretty much identical to the Glock 9mm mags. I use 12 round SGM mags in my two Saiga-12 shotguns and those work flawlessly as well and have help up to high numbers of rounds. Bud Guns has the SGM mags in stock at the moment for a good price. I just bought a few more. Oh, and I don't run any 9mm steel cased ammo.

Edit: Came back to add this . . for any serious work, certainly carry or home defense, I always stick to the Glock factory mags. The other mags are great for pounding the rounds through at the range.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  7. Bagger

Bagger Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Coastal South Carolina
    In my Gen 2 Sub 2K I have used Glock, Magpul, and ETS magazines, all without any issues. I was hesitant to order any of the ETS mags but they were less than $14 each for the 31 round mags. They don't have steel feed lips so I don't know how long they'll last.