Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a letter today that there was a security breech that involved mcarbo transactions between May 19 and June 7. Credit card info, email, etc appears to have been taken. Oh boy, they are offering credit monitoring. Gee thanks mcarbo. Yes that is sarcasm.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Heh
Green Black Yellow Head Text
. I figured out years ago how to handle that. If you buy stuff online from small companies, it is inevitable that the card will get boosted sooner or later. No problem.
I have one CC that I use ONLY for online stuff. (I call it 'Stunt-Monkey':D)
When (not if) it gets boosted, I just have them torch it and send me another.
They know when it went off the tracks and are telling ME about it so I'm not out a dime.
Since all my other stuff is running on other cards there is no interruption and no loss of security.

p.s. anyone that uses a debit card online, should have a full psychiatric exam
Green Text Font Line Design

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Same here I have an on-line card only and not surprising that in 2 years it was hacked 3 times. 2 weeks ago some tried to make 10 different charges on it but with a 45 dollar balance on it they didn't get far!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I do the exact same thing. I have one card just for on-line places like this.

I guess what irks me a bit is I did not get an e-mail from mcarbo themselves. The letter came from the company handling their on-line store.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I, too, have a credit card for Internet purchases only which, as has been said, allows you to shut down that line of credit without affecting the rest of your life. I like to use PayPal also when possible, and ApplePay is starting to catch on. Man; they all want to make it easy to spend those dollars!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been the victim of identity theft which is worse than just having a credit card compromised. The problem with breeches like this is when they get other personal information tied to that credit card. They now have enough to call the credit card company and change the address and then order a new card. Then when you have to call to try and fix it, you practically have to supply a DNA sample because the info you are providing is not the new info they have on file. I had one credit card that I had a passcode set up for when I call in. But yet someone was able to convince them that they forgot it, and they had enough other info to "prove" they were me. I had one hell of a time getting that fixed.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I have been the victim of identity theft which is worse than just having a credit card compromised. The problem with breeches like this is when they get other personal information tied to that credit card. They now have enough to call the credit card company and change the address and then order a new card. Then when you have to call to try and fix it, you practically have to supply a DNA sample because the info you are providing is not the new info they have on file.
exact same thing happened to me. Culprit was a Sunpass employee, cuz I registered the card there just before it happened. Now, NO one can open a new card in my name, including me, cuz I have a block installed with credit company. Even when I lifted it temp, Amazon wud not give me a cred card

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.