Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I questioned even posting this review as I'm not sure how it will be received. I will preface the review by saying I am a bit of a perfectionist myself and tend to seek out flaws.

I mailed a p3at slide and 2 mags to Jack Fuselier to be plated on October 25th. I got them back today. I consider that a great turn around time especially since it seems like mr fuselier is more of a hobbyist helping us out than he is in it as a business. Overall I'm pleased with the plating job but I'd like to give a fair criticism for those debating their different refinishing options.

The magazines are done beautifully. I can't find a flaw on them, although the plating did make me realize they are both cracked and the crack on one is probably twice the size of the crack on the other. I hope the crack stops and I won't have to replace the magazines.

The slide....well on the whole its good. Jack's plating color comes out pretty matte gray. It doesn't have the same yellow hue to it that my nickle sig p226 does. I much prefer mr fuseliers. That said I'd like to see a little more sandblasting action before the plating. Like many of you I had my sights painted with a dollop of model paint. I expected this to be removed with the sandblasting but it was not so not all of my slide is plated. Also the depths of the serrations noticeably missed getting plated in some places.

For as thorough as he is with repeating the packing information several times I wish there would have been a notice on the website saying that budget plating is like budget car painting; its good, but plan on doing the prep work yourself. I would have taken the 10 seconds to pop the paint off the sights with a knife had I known. I also would have liked to see the slide serrations get a full plating.

Overall its a pretty good finish and I'm sure it beats the pants off the keltec blueing. If you're looking for a top quality finish I'm afraid I'd have to advise you to spend a little more and send your slide to someone like tripp. If you want a tough finish on a budget and don't need it to feel high end, I think this is great option. It matches our affordable but not elegant guns if you will. Its pretty much nitpicking but I would have liked the slide serrations to no longer be showing blueing.

And now for the pictures. Please forgive the close up pictures, i don't have a macro lens for my camera and didn't want to go to a lot of lighting trouble so they aren't perfect.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I for one appreciate your review. These are the first detailed images I have seen of Mr. Fuseliers work. Looks to me that you called it like you saw it.

It also seems apparent that a little owner prep work could result in a super plating job. Did you bring your concerns up with Mr. F?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't think there was anyway I could have prepped to get plating in the serrations short of sandblasting it myself. The sites thing is do-able though.

And no I didn't contact mr fuselier. I feel like I got a fair $25 plating job and am just trying to offer up a fair review of the workmanship. If I had paid $50 I would have been sending it back without a doubt but I feel like I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I doubt that many of us have a sand blaster but seeing the results, I would certainly invest in a bottle of that Birchwood Casey Blue & Rust Remover before sending mine in for plating (be sure to spray with WD-40 afterwards). IIRC, Jack is in his mid seventies and I wonder if he can see down in those little crevices. I noticed the buttonhead is black, a call to Kel-Tec customer service could likely get you a silver one, like I have on my hard chrome.

Wilson – who’s recommending you email Jack to see if he can fix this oversight

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Nice review, nice photos!

Thanks.

I would have been a bit disappointed also, but as you said, you got your money's worth.

I think I'd talk to Jack about it if it were me. He might be interested in knowing about it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to update and say jack emailed me back. I didn't ask permission but I certainly don't think he'll mind me quoting him as I'm quite wrong.

You are correct. That probably isn't bluing, it probably was
caused by hydrogen bubbles clinging in the grooves and preventing
plating. That happens under the slide also when I can't dislodge
the gas bubbles but there it doesn't matter.

Sorry I missed that and I will certainly strip it and redo it.
Jacks an A+ guy in my book.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I have never had to do any prep work on my own before sending to Jack.

I have never had a problem either, but I like the fact he did not fight it, and will make it right.

That makes him very stand up in my book.

Nice fair, accurate, review.

good job.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brett30030 said:
Do you have to strip the mags before sending?
Does he do the recoil spring guide rod and the frame pin too?

Thanks
I just sent the mag tubes.

He did the frame pin also. I did a little reading before I sent it in and I found a post on here saying something about not doing the guide rod because it might flake or something like that. He'd be a better source for the word than I, but I didn't bother sending it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.