Fuselier nickel plating

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TX380, Oct 9, 2008.

1. TX380

TX380 New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Based on recommendations from you guys, I sent my slide and both mags to Jack Fuselier for nickel plating. I know you guys like pictures, so here are some before and after:

BEFORE - slide rust!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER - nickel!
    [​IMG]

Here's my blue P-11 mag next to the nickel 380 mag for comparison
    [​IMG]

And the finished product
    [​IMG]

The work looks great; you can see the pitting where the rust was, but Jack mentions on his website that nickel will show that sort of thing. Overall I am very pleased and glad I did it.

I did have one small issue that I think deserves mention - after I reassembled the gun, I found that it would not chamber properly from a full mag. The slide would get hung on the way forward at the point where it contacts the back of the round to strip it from the mag. A slight bump to the back of the slide and it would chamber. If I only loaded 3 or 4 rounds, it was OK, and it happened with both mags. I finally noticed that there were scratches on the brass casings (I was cycling the same 6 rounds over and over), and figured out that the mag lips were cutting into the brass. I spent a few minutes beveling the front of the mag lips with a file, and now it feeds like new! If anyone has the same symptoms after plating, this might be the cause.

Thanks for the recommendations to nickel plate (no more rust worries). Now I just have to make it to the range to see how she shoots!

2. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    That looks really nice. Had I not found a chrome P3AT to buy, I would have gone the same route you did with having it plated by Jack.

3. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    My P11, P3AT, and P32 slides are all plated by him. :cool:

4. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Great looking job...

John

5. Legionnaire

Legionnaire New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Jack does excellent work. I have one of the early, first generation P32s that Jack did before it even had 100 rounds through it. That was what, nine years ago? It has stood up very well. You did good!

6. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    +1 on a Jack job. His work is excellent at a very reasonable price.

7. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    9 years ago-- I'll say the finish has held up well. Did you use your gun as an everyday carry gun?

8. baa5000

baa5000 New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    do most people prefer this over the Cera-hide from CCR? looks like its only $40 which isn't too bad and seems harder than the nickle

9. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    do these guns rust that easily? if you keep them well oiled will they still rust like that? i hate rust and dont want even a little pit but i dont want to get it plated.

10. WADave

WADave New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    If you carry next to your body and sweat, at all, the gun will rust.

edit to add: I only clean and oil my gun after it is fired, which sometimes can go a while.

11. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Some folks have a body chemistry that will rust steel in minutes. Some folks have a body chemistry that won't rust steel no matter what. Most of us are somewhere between these two extremes. If you have a rust problem you will know it.

Just oiling works for me. In fact I don't oil it very often at all actually. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If you are going to carry a P3AT I might suggest a slightly more frequent regime. They like to be DRIPPING with lube and grease and failures will exponentially occur if they get dry or grimey.

-Scott

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It depends greatly on your body chemistry. I don't live in a high humidity area and I could keep a weapon with me for weeks without it rusting. Others go a day and start to see surface rust. But then I did keep mine safely in holsters so they were not up against my skin directly.

-Scott