Fun at the Range - But 3 FTE's

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mhiland, Apr 17, 2009.

1. mhiland

mhiland New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    I just got back from the range with my (fairly) new P3AT.  I put 50 rounds through it - five at a time.  (I load a snap cap first in the mag - to prevent any accidental dry fires - and don't bother loading an extra round in the chamber at the range).  I was shooting Rem UMC 95gr and had 3 FTE's.  

It's still in the break-in period I suppose, since I had only put about 100 rounds through it prior to this session.  I was alternating between five aimed/controlled shots and five quick-fire shots.  I never had an FTE during my quickfire drills, when I was trying to get off five shots as quickly as I could.  I had one FTE when I was using my weak hand, so I'm sure I limp-wristed it that time, but I'm not sure what happened with the other two.

Could it have been the cheap ammo?  (I didn't shoot any of my actual carry ammo this time, since it's getting harder to come by these days.)  It was well lubed and greased.  I also noticed that I was getting some smileys (most noticeably on my snap cap).

Other than that, I had a great time at the range.  I may be one of the few people who actually enjoys target practice with the P3AT!  I'm a fairly strong guy with smaller than average hands and skinny fingers - so it's actually quite comfortable for me to grip.  To be honest, with my small hands I have a harder time shooting some large caliber handguns than I do the P3AT.

After 50 rounds, I did have some hand fatigue but I still managed to go on and out-shoot most of my co-workers (this was an after-work company outing) and take home some prize money!   :cool:

2. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Were the FTE's near the end or the beginning of the shooting trip?

What exactly was the "Cheap ammo" you were using?

It was good that you were well lubed and greased but it might be good to check around (I think goldenlok's website has a good oiling page for the 3at) and make sure you were lubing the right spots.

Couldn't tell you about the smiley's.

50 rounds is pretty impressive. 3 or 4 mags I start to fatigue with my 3at... :'(

3. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    Check the extractor bolt for looseness. If it is loose, get some blue or purple Loctite, apply it to the bolt threads and tighten bolt back.

4. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    If the fte's were toward the end of the 50. It was probably just dirty.

Also good advise. After everything else has been eliminated you might want to do a f&b. Smoothing out the chamber a little helps with extraction.

Are they hiring where you work?  :D

5. mhiland

mhiland New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for all the good advice.

I was using Remington UMC 95gr.

The FTE's were actually early on, so the gun was clean, but could I have had "too much" oil? It wasn't dripping or anything, but I was pretty generous in the amount of oil I applied less than 24 hours before my trip to the range.

Interestingly, I never had an FTE on the first round loaded in the chamber (usually 2nd or 3rd round).

6. Loganspawn

Loganspawn New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I have the same isue and everything writen here tells me run more rounds. Fluff and buff so I will. I think Im up to about 150 rounds. Hope It will work better soon. I have Sigs for my full size handguns and never had 1 problem yet. Thousands of rounds fired. I suppose thats easy for a 30 ounce weapon. Dont get me wrong I love my p3at but at this point dont want to have to trust my life with it. Keep on it and think positive. I am believeing in all the faith of the regulars here have and trusting what they say.

7. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas
    I don't have those issues gues I am luckey. I have an 07 model grey and blue. Last time I fired it i put a 150 rounds of Fiocchi hard ball down range no miss fires no matter how I fired it. I love that Fiocchi stuff so does both of my Kel tecs. Now I am down to 1 box of 50 Fiocchi and 1 box of 25 critical defense rounds so no more range :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(