Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to try out some different HP defense ammo in the PF-9. First up was PMC Starfire HP's that I had for a while now. Got them cheap while working at the pawn shop last year. The PF-9 hated those. FTF every follow up shot. I wish I could remember the other brand that I tried.......no help at all to anyone here, but the "mouth" was to wide, and would also FTF.

Hornady Critical defense, as many of you know, had zero issues, and Winchester Black Talons actually feed well too. :D

Immediately went out and bought Hornady for the P3AT as well!!

Oh yeah, had one FTE from the P3AT. I let my grandfather shoot it, and he thought there would be no recoil, so he limp wristed the crap out of it. lol. Once he got used to it, there were no more problems!!

I was relieved, because of all the negative comments I see on here and other forums, it starts to take an actual psychological effect on me, and I was doubting the gun(s) even though they have not failed me. I know that sounds dumb, but as long as I continue too have no issues, then it will alleviate my doubts.

Once I am done and back in the US for good, I plan on joining the IDPA. Then I will put the PF-9 to work in that environment! I cannot wait.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I recently used up some old PMC starfire rounds that I'd had since about 92. They too had a couple of misfeeds. Nose would go up so the whole thing was nearly vertical. Same day I used up some "ancient" S&W hollow nose ammo. Almost every round had to have multi strikes before it went off. After that I went to my Fed and WWB and had no more problems. Even some old WWB soft points that my PF9 ate like good soup. Wish they still made them.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
First off, thank you for your service.

Critical Defense is usually one of the most reliable JHPs, its a solid preformer in most ways and a good choice IMO.

The cheap Remington 115g JHPs that come in boxes of 100 are usually very reliable as well. They may not expand and/or penetrate as well as the CD but the testing I've found has been good for a cheap JHP. I keep my PF9 loaded with them, I will get a more modern ammo at some point but I'm not in a rush.

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1 on the Remington UMC 115g JHPs. Very reliable. They've been my carry and practice round for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love the Critical Defense... low flash, nice recoil for follow ups.... not too terribly expensive either. You can get the zombie max a little cheaper its the same design with a brass case.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They actually have bullets called Zombie Max? This zombie crap is getting carried away, I have never encountered one.(zombie or bullet)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I love the Critical Defense... low flash, nice recoil for follow ups.... not too terribly expensive either. You can get the zombie max a little cheaper its the same design with a brass case.
One small caution about the Hornady "Zombie Max"... while they are fun, and function identically to the standard Hornady Critical Defense, I would NOT suggest carrying them away from a range environment. Believe it or not, some prosecuting attorneys will make a case against a self-defense shooter based on something as simple as carrying ammo "designed to kill zombies". The shooter would have to prove that they didn't carry this stuff just looking for someone to use it on. Yeah, it's a silly argument, but convictions have been made on less of a case than this.

That being said, +1 on standard Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. They are my own #1 choice and my daily carry round.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One small caution about the Hornady "Zombie Max"... The shooter would have to prove that they didn't carry this stuff just looking for someone to use it on.
I have not bought any.....only grinned at the marketing skills....but from what I have read it is not head stamped in such a way as would be obvious to said lawyer to have any legal arguement ammunition (pun intended).

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's it, all this talk. Now I have to buy some Zombie Max to fire. I didn't want to but you guys had to talk about it, lol.

Here is Hornady's disclaimer:

Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!

·
Registered
110 Posts
FYI, my PF-9 feeds Speer's Gold Dots perfectly. Another one to try if you are so inclined.

And thanks for your service to our country.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
I would think that a GOOD lawyer would make mincemeat of any IDIOT lawyer who might attempt to nail you with a statement like "You used Zombie ammo on a real person?!"

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Actually, I'm stocked up on .22lr for the zombies. Since you have to hit them in the head anyway, why choose a high powered round? That adds nothing but expense, more recoil, more expensive guns, and limits how much ammo you can physically carry. .22LR should do the job just fine! I don't have a supressor, but I would think it would be easier to keep .22LR quiet in zombie-town than it would be to keep something like .223 quiet. And unless you want to ring the dinner bell, quiet is the name of the game!

:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts