Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Kel Tec P-3AT. It shoots fine for 20/30 rounds. Once the gun heats up from firing it starts hanging up. Sometimes it's a total FTE, others the empty hull fails to clear the breach.

I tightened the extractor - I doubt that was the problem. The nut turned less than 1/2 turn. I noticed a huge gap between the bolt and the barrel.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
yup same problem with mine works fine for about the first 40 rounds then fails to eject about evrey other round I take it home clean it n it cycles about another 40 rounds cant figure out whats causing this

·
Registered
718 Posts
40 rounds through a mouse gun is a lot of shooting. I usually get 60-70 before issues crop up but if I do a quick wipe down of the rails and add some lube it will start working fine again for another 50-60. Polish the chamber with some 600 then 1200 then 1500 and you will probably get a few more than 40. These guns are on the edge of what is possible. Once they get dirty or dry they will act up, it's just the nature of them. They were never intended to be range guns that can go 100's of rounds between cleaning. If it shoots through 40 without any issues then I would consider it working fine. Your never going to defend yourself with anywhere near that many shots.
Also if you turned your extractor screw 1/2 a turn it was loose. Doesn't seem like much but it's enough to make a difference. Back it all the way out and add a drop of BLUE locktite to the threads.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
Also if you turned your extractor screw 1/2 a turn it was loose. Doesn't seem like much but it's enough to make a difference. Back it all the way out and add a drop of BLUE locktite to the threads.
I have seen less than a half turn make a difference. +1 on the locktite.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
P3ATs can't handle the soot build up until they get broke in. I found that Rem UMC is especially bad about building up soot.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
rebootit said:
40 rounds through a mouse gun is a lot of shooting.
I agree. And I find 380 ammo to expensive to use as range fodder. Now that my P3AT's are broken in I shoot what I'm carrying and maybe one or two more mags then put it away and shoot something else. If I can get two mags down range without a failure every time I take it to the range I call that 100% reliable. I have different expectations for other guns but this is what I expect of my P3's. So far I have three 100% P3AT's.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
My P3 has been flawless...I shot 37 rounds today and had 2 FTE.
Got home.. checked it out.. and the screw was about 1/8-1/4 turn loose.
Took the opportunity to do a complete clean and hit it with some Loctite.
I’ll bet its flawless next time :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts