Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing some FTEs, but they have been progressively going down each trip out which I think is due to me doing a much better job cleaning the sub each time after. My first trip I had double digit FTEs, second trip I had significantly fewer (7-8). This last trip I shot flawless the first 125 rounds or so and then had about 4 the last 50 rounds.

When I got home I noticed the bolt was a tad dry and I remembered at the range my hands were getting extremely dirty just from pulling on the charging handle. This got me to thinking if I hadn't lubbed the bolt enough last time I had cleaned it and wanted to pose the question to the forum if this story adds up.

A decent amount of lube to start and as the night progressed and putting more bullets through it got dirtier and drier? Is that possible and if this is the case, how liberal should I be in lubing my bolt? It just seems as if the story adds up because my previous 2 trips to the range the FTEs were more frequent and would happen randomly whereas this last trip it only happened towards the end of the night after I had ran close to 125 rounds through it.

FYI - I have been using Hoppes. I'm contemplating being very liberal with the lube or using something different, possibly CLP or even 5/30 synthetic oil.

Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
Sounds to me like you are nearing the end of your break in. I prefer to lightly oil the bolt as it's my opinion any excess lube is just a residue magnet for that blowback action. Others prefer to run theirs what they call "wet". I'm sure you will find a happy medium through experience. It never hurts to just add a couple drops of oil in the charging handle slot if you are running a long range session.

Choice of lube is pretty much a preference thing. I like Militec or Remoil.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
How many total rounds now?

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
About 200 rds is the norm. Some take more, some less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm at 500 rds exactly with only 3 fte and one ftf. The ftf I, guessing was from snotty blazer ammo. I've run 180 grain ammo 40 sw ammo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I prefer to lightly oil the bolt as it's my opinion any excess lube is just a residue magnet for that blowback action. Others prefer to run theirs what they call "wet".
Something just came to mind. Are you lubbing before each trip out to the range? It had been about 3-4 weeks between trips and I know when I cleaned it and when I lubbed it I went with a light lube and did not lube it again prior to going out to the range.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
Something just came to mind. Are you lubbing before each trip out to the range? It had been about 3-4 weeks between trips and I know when I cleaned it and when I lubbed it I went with a light lube and did not lube it again prior to going out to the range.
No. In fact, early in my first one's life I made several ranges trips and shot about 400+ rounds without cleaning it. Just to see what it would take. At that point I could "feel" the action dragging slightly from sludge buildup, but it was still working fine. I finally cleaned it after that trip just from a sense of guilt. Had to experiment though. For the forum..... :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I hope my sub2k will be my 3rd trip to CCR. Most are not, but i am firm believer in their plating of all metal pieces. It will take less lube, stay cleaner, operate better, lots easier to clean, stains will not stick, 1000 hour military salt bath certified. It will have performance. I just got my (2nd pistol)P3AT back from CCR," ccrrefinishing.com"it is a totally different pistol since returned to me. Keltec has high respect for CCR. Its like cheating!

I always send post photos of CCR to my friends at keltec. They answer my emails.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
It's okay. He speaks in shorthand. He'll be back. ;)

CCR is a metal finish company, but I don't have any contact info for them. Maybe these guys?

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/

·
Administrator
31,987 Posts

·
Administrator
31,987 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
ccr is not off topic, it has to do with fte, ftf, etc... it helps with lube and makes all pistol run better. Take time to read their web page.. I have 37 post on here about CCR..Wonder why DOC left this web site? He turned me on to CCR, and yes i had to hunt ccr on google.

google to find stuff! I have too searched for things on this web site (ktog)that are not clear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts