FTE on a 1st gen P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by clint_lnl, Aug 7, 2010.

1. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    Hi all, picked up today a 1st gen and so far 2 or 3 out of every mag is a FTE (failure to extract)( 50 rds) looks like its been fired very little, was told by the LGS it was a carry gun. give it a good cleaning and lube before shooting.
    S# H23XX 1st gen P-3AT
    question is...
    normal till broken in? or is it because I am shooting HP's or have the 1st gen had trouble with FTE?
    or any recomedations on what to do or check.

thanks Clint

2. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Definitely give it a good clean and lube. Maybe a fluff&buff. Try different ammo non HP. Lastely tighten the extractor.

If that doesn't fix it call KT maybe the extractor needs to be replaced.

Dave

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    First gen guns tended to be more ammo selective than the current crop. Do try a several different brands of decent quality, brass cased, FMJ ammo. Only after you get it to run reliably would I start testing JHP rounds, although since your problem is extracting and not feeding, that is no so critical.

The earlier guns were sometimes rougher as well. Consider doing some polishing:
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

Make sure the gun is cleaned and lubed like this:
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

Check the extractor claw for chips or dullness and make sure it is clean and moves as it should.
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

Finally, if you still have problems, call KT svc and see if they still have any parts for that gun. The recoil springs are the same and you may as well change them. KT may or may not have on hand and be able to send a new extractor, extractor spring and extractor roll pin. Whoever said, "tighten the extractor" was thinking of the 2nd gen guns. The 1st gen had a more conventional extractor held in place by a roll pin. There is nothing to tighten.

4. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    thank you, going to get some FMJ and give it another try tommorow. the extractor did seam a little tight, cleaned and lube and now moving better, keeping fingers crossed

5. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Had same problem with a used 1st gen that I bought several years ago. Sent it to KelTec and they replaced the extractor with a newer, better version.

But don't know if they will still do that with a 1st gen anymore. You better call them first and ask.

They may not fix 1st gen anymore and just replace it with a 2nd gen.

Call first.

The problem is not going away if it's an original 1st gen.

Cheers,
    og

6. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    tried differnet ammo and still same thing FTE. the LGS is going to get me a new P-3AT for $20.00 more. I can't beat that... thanks and will let every know how it does

7. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    the LGS gave me a brand new P-3AT today..25 rds and everything perfect.. thanks for everyones input