FTE light Strikes Bad Customer Service

Discussion in 'PF-9' started by ted22, Jan 6, 2020.

1. ted22

ted22 Active Member

Dec 29, 2005
    My PF9 was returned multiple times in the past, but finally did run right after a frame replacement. Recently it started to have several failures to eject, and multiple light primer strikes (at least one per mag).

I hadn't been on here for a long time, but logged back on and following multiple threads on here I diagnosed that the spring either needed to be bent in a bit, and that the firing pin might be dirty or have a burr on it. I put a soldering iron on the screw for a few minutes, but even then the screw stripped out. It was like the screw was way over torqued, or the head of the screw was not hardened (maybe both).

In any case, I called customer service and was told that the only solution was to buy a screw on the website... Tim did not even want to discuss the history, etc.

I hate to complain over a buck, but one thing is for sure.... KelTec Customer service is not what it use to be!!!

2. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    Have you been able to remove the screw or is it still stuck?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. ted22

ted22 Active Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I got it out... had to cut a slot with my dremel, then use a punch. It was for sure tightened above their 35 in-lbs. this is the design flaw which causes unreliability in the PF9. The reason they went to the Torx bit. I’m honestly sad they won’t stand by their product.

4. lklawson

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    You didn't answer my question about dry firing and snap caps. Did you dry fire it without snap caps?

5. ted22

ted22 Active Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Sorry!!! No, never dry fired... I’ve never been a believer that’s bad, but I’ve got a shooting range off my back porch:)

6. lklawson

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    Nice.

Dry firing without a snap cap isn't bad for most modern handguns. But it IS bad for the Kel Tec concealed carry line of handguns, including the PF9. Very bad. The Extractor Screw plays a pivotal part in keeping the Firing Pin in place. It rides in a sort of slot cut into the rear of the firing pin, which has sort of "shelves" or "walls" to retain the pin in place. Dry firing the PF9 without snap caps slams the rear "wall" of the firing pin retaining cut into the extractor screw. This can (and has) damaged many different parts including, but not limited to, the firing pin itself. For our purposes in this discussion it has been known to damage the screw itself. It can break the screw off or it can peen the threads which makes it impossible to remove the screw; a symptom which looks remarkably as if the screw had been over-tightened or had blue thread locker applied. Worse, if the screw threads are peened and then, somehow, with great difficulty, the screw is unscrewed, the process of unscrewing can hide the damage by realigning the threads, even re-threading, as the screw is backed through the hardened steel bolt-hole threads of the slide. And then the person might not look for, or be able to see, the peening damage to the screw.

So, while I am NOT accusing you of dry firing your PF9 without snapcaps and therefore causing the problem, I am saying that the symptoms look similar, which is why I asked the question. <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. ted22

ted22 Active Member

Dec 29, 2005
    looking at the base of the screw, can’t see a witness mark on it, no witness marks on the firing pin either.

I had the gun for a long time, but haven’t shot it that much. Finally started shooting it more, and in a hundred rounds or so I got light strikes. I will continue when I source a screw. Going to stop by fastenal tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  8. ted22

ted22 Active Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Lklawson- just reread your post, and mine... made some edits to my post above because I apparently forgot a few words... hope it reads better now:)

After reading your post again, i had a thought; if dry firing is damaging the screw, Then clearly the screw is too soft. I don’t think the firing pin has enough mass to cause deformation on the screw, at least not a quality screw. I am going to Chuck the new screw up on my lathe, and round out the bottom to create a proper surface for the firing pin shelf to contact.

In any case, the harder screws I ordered from McMaster-Carr (96452A148) have a Rockwell C37, should be a huge improvement... just speculating at this point, but now it makes sense to me...

9. lklawson

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    More than just the screw can be damaged by dry firing without a snap cap.

It's more efficient to just use a snap cap when dry firing instead of trying to do machine work on a screw.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. spence13e

spence13e Well-Known Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    Just another random question, but what ammo are you shooting? I'm not super in tune with PF9 issues, but I have had some failure to extract issues with another full size pistol that pretty well got narrowed down to ammo.

11. Bear Claw

Bear Claw Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Any followup? I gots ta know...

Make dingdonging sure the firing pin channel is completely clean, too...and keep it dry, no oil or grease in there at all...after you get the slide back together, make sure you press down on the back of the firing pin to make sure it moves in and out freely and doesn't pop out...if that extractor screw is even a bit too long, it can hold the firing pin in place, preventing it from moving, or make it barely move at all during the hammer strike...same thing if you don't install the firing pin correctly (with that grooved notch TOWARD the screw)

Let us know, thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  12. Bear Claw

Bear Claw Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Yes, exactly! The screw can re-thread itself during removal and you'll never see the damaged threads...but that's the reason the screw is a SOFTER METAL, so your more-expensive steel slide threads won't get damaged, if they do, then you're really into it for more than just a replacement screw.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    lklawson likes this.