FTE issues after DuraCoat

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Guitarman710, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Guitarman710

Guitarman710 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Hi all!! First post here, but I have lurked for quite a while. I love my P3AT and several other Kel-tecs and have had nothing but good experiences with them. However, I did a DuraCoat job on my P3AT and have had nothing but issues since. It is interesting because I made sure to mask all areas that would potentially cause issue. I had fully disassembled the slide and taped off everything so that I would only hit the outside of the slide, extractor spring and extractor. After reassembly, ensuring that everything was tight, I am getting quite a few FTEs (the type where the spent casing hangs in the chamber and you have to release the mag so that you can eject the casing). I never had one failure until after the DuraCoat job, so I am obviously thinking that it has something to do with it, but I wanted to see if anyone on here had any thoughts on it. A fluff and buff has been done on this gun and it is cleaned and oiled thoroughly after every visit to the range. I love keeping this in my pocket, but am much less than confident in it at the moment. Someone please tell me they have some ideas I can try!

2. cma_g21

cma_g21 Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Florida
    Have you tried removing your extractor, and cleaning it up (as well as the area around it)?

I'm wondering if some of the DuraCoat might be causing the extractor to bind.

Just a thought...

3. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008

+1

How far did you strip the slide, and how heavy do you apply? maybe GoldenLoki will chime in. You may want to PM him.

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    After any major work on a KT I suggest a whole new breakin period. Have  ya ran 200 rounds FMJ thru it or did the F&B again? If not you need to start all over IMO. Get those done before rejecting the gun. I just bought a HC slide/barrel to put on the wifes blued P 32, but won't install till she can run a couple hundred rounds thru for a rebreak in. I had a Ruger duracoated and it seemed to smooth out after about a 100 rounds... Good luck

5. Guitarman710

Guitarman710 New Member

Jun 20, 2010

+1

How far did you strip the slide, and how heavy do you apply? maybe GoldenLoki will chime in.   You may want to PM him.  [/quote]

Thanks everyone for the input! I never really thought about the "re-break in" period. I am hoping that it is only Duracoat binding the extractor somehow. I actually fully disassembled the slide (extractor, screw, and spring out as well as all firing pin items). I made sure to tape off the parts where metal was originally touching other metal so as not to compromise that with Duracoat. I also put 10 misted coats on it with an airbrush. Pretty hefty amount I guess, but I wanted it to be super tough! lol Well, I may end up buffing down the finish on the outside of the extractor (where there is Duracoat) so that it can contact the spring the way that it used to. I am also going to give it another 100 rounds or so. I have put at least 100 through it since the Duracoat job so I have some time left. I will certainly report back and maybe give GoldenLoki a shout to see what he has to say. Thanks again all!!

6. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Strange problem.

Pictures may help, if you could post them. Assembled and un-assembled.

If I am reading you description correctly, you didn't Duracoat the sides of the extractor or the channel it sits in at all. I have on numerous occasion Duracoated the extractor and the channel without issue. (after sandblasting and polishing) This leads me to believe it may not be the Duracoat.

Dumb question, but I gotta ask... Did you sandblast or Duracoat inside the chamber?

Possibly bent extractor spring?

Using same brand and type ammo as before the Duracoat?

GL :-/

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    to test the extractor...

the extractor should be able to slide in and out. with it pushed towards breach face, the rim of a round should just start.

with slide removed, slip a round under hook and position near battery. now turn the slide every way possible and the round slould stay in place

8. Guitarman710

Guitarman710 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Hey, great questions! I did not do any sandblasting at all to the slide or any parts. I separated the barrel from the slide so no Duracoat got into the chamber there, however some did get into the inside walls of the slide where the outside of the chamber makes contact with the slide. I will have to post some pics to make it easier for sure. I will try to do so tonight sometime. I actually placed a slight bit more of a bend in the extractor spring after having the first FTEs. That may be part of the issue. I just thought that having more tension might help the hold on the casing. Definitely using the same type of ammo as before ( I have a ton of it from stocking up). Maybe the pics will help some. Thanks again for your thoughts!!

9. Guitarman710

Guitarman710 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Hey, thanks for the tips! By being able to slide in and out, do you mean with regard to the center of the breech face? If so, mine may be a slight bit tight. When sliding a round underneath it will not fall out no matter what angle it is held at either.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I mean the "A" dimension.. somewhere I've posted the dimensions, but I'm thinking it only moves 1/2 rim thickness
    [​IMG]

11. Guitarman710

Guitarman710 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    I mean the "A" dimension.. somewhere I've posted the dimensions, but I'm thinking it only moves 1/2 rim thickness
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Ahhhh, ok. I get it now. I will have to check that out. I was thinking to take some pics tonight, but am getting tired fast and may hit the sack for the evening. I thank everyone for their input and will definitely be posting pics just as soon as I take them.

12. Guitarman710

Guitarman710 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Hey all. Sorry I have not gotten back sooner, but it took forever for me to get out to the range. Anyway, I guess the culprit was a slight amount of duracoat finding its way into the slide grooves. I just used a fine file and it shoots like it used to. No failures and confidence restored!! Thanks evryone for your help and thoughts.

13. Monolithman

Monolithman New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Excellent. Good to hear. My FFL did a fine duracoat job on mine, and I haven't had any issues -- but this thread gives me good pointers on where to look if I do.