FTE Galore

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rls1158, Oct 19, 2007.

1. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Ok guy (& gals) I need some good advice. Here's the scenario:

I bought my new .380 a few days ago, brought it home, cleaned, oiled, and greased it. Assuming it was there to begin with, I lost the ejector. Have already ordered another one from KT.

In a different discussion several of you told me to go ahead and shoot it without the ejector and I probably would only have problems with ejecting the last casing. I rarely had that particular experience.

I had a couple of complete FTEs but the majority of the time the casing would hang up as it was being ejected (about half way out).

The slide also seemed to bind just a bit (but not completely) and I figured that was part of the break in time.

I've been shooting for over 40 years but this is my first KT, my first .380, and my first pocket gun.

I took the gun back to the gun shop where I bought it and they had no clue. I've learned a lot more in this forum than they've been able to tell me. According to them, they've never had a problem with their KT .380s. The sold me a box of Magtech 95gr FMC at half price and suggested I go back to the range (which I haven't done yet).

I used two magazines, both from KT and had the same problem using both. I fired 36 rounds of Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ and 36 rounds of Monarch 94 gr FMJ. Had the same problem with both brands.

I need suggestions before I have another frustrating day at the range.

Thanks,
    Reggie :)

2. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    guessing second gen...check and make sure the extractor screw is tight...second check the fit of the chamber with a couple of different ammo...oh what the hell, polish the ramp and chamber....gpr

3. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks gpr. Yes it's a second generation. I failed to mention that the magazines kept jumping out of place as well.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You may have a rough one, or it might just need cleaning up and polishing.  I wouldn't make any judgments about her until you "knock the chunks off" and replace the ejector.

Clean up all the flashing and deal with the mags not seating properly.  Pretty easy.  

Tighten the extractor (using a GOOD quality hex wrench which is not the one that came with it and is not a ball end).  

Fluff and buff and polish the feed ramp and as much as you can get (top and bottom) just up from the feed ramp and hood.  

Lube the heck out of it - to the point of dripping lube then wipe off the excess and fire away.

Try some different ammo.

After doing all of the above I have had 1 P3AT that I had to do a barrel hood mod on to get the shells out consistently.  Don't know what was different with that baby but it works beautifully now.  I could have just sent it back to KT and I am sure it would have come back 100% but I wanted to play.

My money says you will get to 100% just fine.

-Scott

5. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks Scott. I'm hoping to get all the kinks worked out without having to send back to KT. I'd rather deal with it myself as much as possible and not wait weeks to get it back.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Are you having the classic FTE where the rim of the spent case coming out of the barrel hooks on the case mouth of the next rond in the magazine, the extractor then pulls of the spent case rim, and the slide tries to pick up the next round in the mag?

If so,
    the extractor screw needs to be snug.  the tip should slide in and out a little bit, but it should not wiggle.  
    with just the slide, you should be able to slide a round under the extractor to the battery position and the extractor should hold the round as you turn the slide every which way, if round falls out, there is either an extractor problem or with the slide opposite the extractor.  now slide the round so that the rim is flush with the bottom rail of the slide.  the round should stay held here too.

If the extractor has a good grip as indicated above, it is then the barrel tipping too far down and the upper chamber of the barrel forcing the spent case into the next round.  The recommned fix for this is to remove some metal from the chamber in the barrel hood area to give the spent case more room during extraction.

I went a different route and put a buffer in the frame to not allow the barrel to tilt down as much durring recoil

7. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll use them all and eventually figure it all out.

:) :)

8. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Scott,

What do I need to do to make the magazines seat properly? A new release button? I've only fired 72 rounds throught the gun. Thanks again for all the advice. :)

9. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    [​IMG]

Your slide shouldn't look anything like this opposite your extractor. The complete area should be nice and flat. If it does then this is where your problem lies. My first slide looked similar to this, and I had periodic FTE problems with some ammo it wouldn't extract WWB at all. I filled the area in with epoxy and was able to shoot and extract 5 rounds of the WWB until the epoxy fell out. Unfortunately the only fix for it is a new slide from KT.

10. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks Zeke. I rarely have problems with new guns and this one has been the worst of many I have purchased. However, I'll get the bugs worked out.

Thanks again. :)

11. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    I bought a new P3AT last month and have the same problems.  After fighting with 200 rounds of WWB and Remington, I have a new extractor and magazine release on the way.

Is the outside of the shell all full of powder ash about halfway down?  The crud looks like it could be holding it in the chamber.  Just the tip of the extractor is grabbing the rim, and it pulls through the rim.

I'll try JFB's suggestions also.  My extractor screw seems tight.  I know from this forum that it can be fixed.  Thanks all.

G2S

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    are you refering to the extractor test or using a frame buffer to limit barrel tilt?

13. Silver_Dollar

Silver_Dollar New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    I had the same problem and replaced the extractor. The old one looked the same as the new, but the problem ended. I also had the problem with the mags dropping. I replaced the mag catch twice, was very careful to press the release when inserting the mag, but it would still happen once or twice in each full mag. I got a metal catch from Packer and am happy to say that I've fired about a hundred and fifty rounds without a hitch. (That is if you don't count my misses).

14. Glock3540

Glock3540 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
     I had the same problem at the range last week.  Multiple FTF/Failure to eject.
     I called Kel Tec yesterday and they are sending me a new extractor,spring and buttonhead.
     I have the first generation model.  I've done the "fluff and buff".  I'll let you know,
      after installing the parts, how the range test goes.
         I love the light weight and portability of this weapon. I hope I can get it "reliable"
      (right now I cannot get through a full magazine without a misfeed).
                                                                    Thanks,Brian :-/

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The first generation uses a completely diferent extractor than the 2G that has been out for a couple years.  I believe it uses a roll pin and not a button head

16. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Sounds like you'v got your going good. Good to see you over here SD.

17. Glock3540

Glock3540 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    I hope they send me the correct parts. I did tell them I had a first generation model and the problems that I was encountering. I'll let you know......
    Thanks,Brian

18. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    are you refering to the extractor test or using a frame buffer to limit barrel tilt?
    [/quote]
    I'll start with the extractor test.  I'd need to figure out where to get a frame buffer or how to make one.  I've seen one for a SIG built into a recoil rod, but haven't seen one mentioned for a P3AT before.  Any links?

G2S

19. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks all. I'll do a fluff and buff tomorrow and will likely call KT next week and see what they say. Guru, I'm not having the ash on the cases like you are talking about. Right now I'm having aggravation. However, I think the bugs can be worked out and I look forward to having a first class pocket pistol.

Thanks again :)

20. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I found 8 X 11" sheets of a neoprine like foam sheets in the craft section of WM.  I can't find mine now, but I think it was 5mm thick.

My objective with the foam was two part
    1) to not allow any play in the magazine
    2) limit the tilt of the barrel at full recoil
    Besides the spent case catching on the next round in the magazine, there was some reports of crack magazine at the upper nose and mine did have a slight dent there

I cut one strip to go up at the lower back of the magazine well.  the next strip was a little longer and was placed going down into the magazine well at the top front and over the frame, almost to the trigger axis.  this does require being more precise when installing the magazine.  This made the magazine very secure (not able to move back and forth),  but it didn't limit the barrel tilt.  I placed a smaller strip on the longer one, but not going into the well.  this now keeps the barrel hood in contact with the inner slide durring recoil.

It will feel like too much at first, but the foam takes a set.  Ive shot mine about 500 rounds this way and there has been no damage to the foam.  I keep thinking if I need to replace it, I will get dimensions and make a how to cut out stetck

I did this very early and did not notice if I had smileys, I don't know if this would help for those, because I don't have them

I don't believe ANYONE else has done this, so it is not accepted or recomended BUT i like it and did it to my P32 also

[​IMG]