Frustrated SU-22 owner

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by aces, Jul 12, 2011.

1. aces

aces New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I've had my SU-22 for about 4 months. Since my first trip to the range the gun has been unable to cycle CCI. The failure to feeds using cci are pretty violent and leave the rounds very bent up. These malfunctions seem to be very similiar to another user on the forum:

http://www.thektog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1269869457

http://i39.tinypic.com/a0doup.jpg

The violent malfunctions have caused pitting on the feed ramp and burs inside the chamber.

After learning the gun didn't like cci I switched to federal walmart ammo. Even with federal I have malfunctions where an empty shell casing gets stuck behind the bolt causing all kinds of issues. During my last trip to the range I had a [highlight]round go off outside of battery[/highlight] when a casing got stuck behind the bolt. The gun spewed hot material out of the chamber and burnt my cheek (i'm a lefty).
    The force of the round exploding outside of battery also cracked my magazine so the follower wont stay seated.

I've put 2000 rounds through the gun in the last 4 months and it is a very fun gun! I just wish I could get these issues resolved. As it stands now my friends are too scared to even shoot the thing. I e-mailed kel tec last friday and havent heard anything back. What should I do?!

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Call them instead of e-mailing. They will take care of you.

3. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Call Keltec on the phone.  Sounds like your su22 needs a trip home.  Have you tried other mags?  The chambers and ramps are tough to clean well.  I was having trouble with my su16 ftextract do to shooting steal case ammo,  I had to use a ss brush on a 12" wire handle to get in there to clean it.  A standard cleaning kit was not enough.  I have had the rails and bolt hold open parts out of the receiver but would not tell anyone else to do so.  It is a PITA to get back together.  Do not  give up on your su22.

4. aces

aces New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I have 4 blackdog magazines and a drum. The malfunction occurred with the mag I received with the gun. Maybe that mag was dirty? How often do you guys clean your mags?

I keep the gun very clean. I usually spend about an hour after each range trip.

Just got off the phone with kel tec. Getting ready to send it in. I live in Washington state. The guy on the phone said I could fed ex the gun to them without having to worry about a transfer... is this really the case?

5. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Calling Kel-Tec customer support is much better than emailing them.

It sounds like you have enough issues that a trip to Cocoa will be needed. Put a short letter next to the SU-22 describing exactly what's wrong. You could print your initial post in this thread.

Yes, you can ship your rifle back to the manufacturer and they can ship it to your doorstep. No FFL required. At least according to federal laws. It may be different in your state. Kel-Yec ships a lot of rifles. I'm sure they know the rules. I'd want to be home to receive it in person. You should get a tracking notice. A friend recently send a $4000 rifle for some more custom work, and he arrived home late one night to find the long box (which screams RIFLE to anyone in the know) on his front porch, where it had been for several hours. Sometimes, they're shipped requiring an adult signature.

Your SU-22 will be running like a Swiss sewing machine soon. It probably still won't like Remington Yellow Jacket ammo, though. :)

6. aces

aces New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Should I expect it to cycle cci after repair? The guy on the phone said the wax in cci makes it hard for the su22 to function correctly

7. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Mine runs CCI Blazer just fine, and haven't had any problems with any other CCI, though I've mostly shot Federal in it. CCI Mini Mag has such a reputation of running in anything, that some gunsmiths I know figure that there is a problem with the gun if it doesn't run CCI.

My SU-22 went back to Kel Tec for a improperly mounted front sight, and came back with a better-aligned front sight and a chamber that looked like they chucked a wire brush in a drill and polished it out. I have heard of people doing this to .22s to improve operation or to clean a really nasty chamber. There was a remark on the work order that they did some tweaks to improve reliability. (I hadn't had any reliability issues before sending it in, though I hadn't shot it much, then. I haven't had any reliability problems since I got it back.)

Kel Tec's customer service is great, but they do have a reputation for not responding to emails, or responding in a not very useful manner. It's definitely better to call them instead.

buzzsaw

8. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    It depends.

for a while, CCI was caking on the wax, but latelly they seem to have just the right amount of wax on them. so if you buy newer CCI's they should be fine.

9. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    My SU-22 loves the CCI Blazer. It's a lead round nose bullet. It has a decent amount of wax on the bullet, but it seems like a very hard wax. It doesn't seem to gum up the works.

10. aces

aces New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    So I've taken my SU-22 out a couple times since this post and haven't had any issues at all. It runs maroon federal all day long. I will probably send it in this winter... I got too much shooting to do for now!

Quick questions, is the feed ramp on the su-22 supposed to be completely smooth? Also, does the charging handle wiggle around quite a bit on your rifles?

11. squirrel1968

squirrel1968 New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    The charging handle on mine seems loose as well, think it maybe normal...

12. dpenny859

dpenny859 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I am so dissipointed with my su22. With a full mag I can shoot 2 rounds of federals and thats it! I don't know if it is the mag that came with the rifle or the feed mechanism. I think I will take a closer look at the Ruger 10/22. I heard so many good things about kel-tek but the purchase of the su22 has squelched any thought of buying the su16c or any other product.

13. exlex

exlex New Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Might want to check the recoil spring tube and make sure it's seated correctly.