frustrated, I'm sending it home... :-(

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by lop, Aug 4, 2010.

1. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, I went down to the range Sunday and, without cleaning it from pocket carry mode, ran some ball ammo thru it. Not good. It did that 'trigger goes all the way back and dosn't fire' bit it did awhile back. The pin under the trigger was not loose, and if you really pushed the trigger into the bak of the handle it would fire. The gun is in my safe now, I'm not carring it and I'm not happy.  :'(  I've my little NAA with mags in my pocket, so I'm not nekid, but I'm not happy. I hope that if I send it back they can sprinkle holely water on it and then I'll be happy. We'll see.
    lop

2. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    I read this, went out & fired two mags (inc. some carry ammo) just to make sure it was still working. Went ahead & did 50 rounds out of my p22. Killed several over-ripe tomatoes.

Sure feels better :)

B.

3. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    File, scrape or sand a small amount of polymer from either the back of your trigger or the front of your grip where the trigger comes to a stop and try again. Some of these guns seem to need a little more backward trigger travel.

When you say that pushing the trigger back hard would result in it working you pretty much diagnosed the problem as a lack of trigger travel. A rapid pull of the trigger will also probably accomplish the same thing.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Send it back. They need to change a few parts.

5. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey PR, If this was a new gun I'd agree, but it is a few years old and has more than 500, less than 1000 rounds thru it. Sompfin has changed. I'm going with TxCajun's approch. Thanks for the input, but I was more blowing off steam than really searching for a fix, ya know? ;)
    Lop

6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I'll second TC's recomendation. My P3AT had trigger issues similar to yours. I think it was a bent transfer bar. I sent it back to KT & the bar was flat when returned, bowed before. I'd called Service & the guy told me the bowed bar was normal. ::)

Send it off for a Florida vacation. ;)

7. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    IIRC this problem happened to another member (maybe RAT) about a year ago and it turned out to be a bent transfer bar. I don't think hammering it flat would be a good idea so I second the motion to send it back to KT.

8. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, I sent if off finally. Lets see what happens.
    Lop

9. Worn- bowed - twisted or worn (holes wallowed out?) trigger bar (part # 260) sounds like the likely source, and as such should be an easy fix.

10. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Got this email today:
    Your firearm is complete. I had to swap out the entire trigger assembly. The trigger spring was bent somehow and kept disengaging the trigger bar, causing the problems you experienced. After changing the assembly (trigger, trigger axis, trigger spring, trigger pin, trigger bar), the trigger worked perfectly. I also noticed that your grip was cracked up towards the front (and a little bit dirty), so I replaced your grip as well. I also took the liberty of polishing your feed ramp, because a polished feed ramp is a happy feed ramp. I test fired a whole slew of magazines through it and experienced no issues.

I’m confident your issue has been resolved.

Your pistol is shipping out today. If you have any trouble, please let me know.

Thanks!

CSmanager

KT Team

I thought I had polished the ramp ::) but I guess I'll see what they consider polished. Looking forward to having "my little friend" back.
    Lop

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Sounds like the stellar Customer Service we've all come to love so much has come through yet again. ;) Glad to hear they took such good care of you. This is why I love KT.

12. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Got it back today and made it down to the range (Get a front yard with a range, I highly recommend it). Ran a box of shells thru it and it seems fine. Nice to have my p3 back in my pocket. I've been carrying my NAA as my bug, but it is real nice to have a little something extra. Now I'm wondering if I can work my NAA into my pocket carry stuff, I like it too.

13. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Was there an explanation of what the problem was or how they fixed it?

14. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hi Torrent,
    Check out my post #9. I included the email they sent to me. That's all the info I have, other than that it seems to work fine now.
    Lop

15. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Yeah Dave,
    They are good folks. No charge for any of the work or the shipping. What more could you ask for? My wife was impressed and said I should buy more stuff from them. She's a keeper. :)

16. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I don't carry my P3AT as a BUG. For me, a BUG is something that rides in my weak (left) pocket in case my right hand and arm are unavailable (as in grappling with an attacker) or injured. I can't seem to control the P3AT with my weak hand well enough to get very good hits on target with it and forget follow-up shots. With my NAA, on the other hand - especially with the oversized rubber grips I recently put on it - I can get five of five shots in the head/face of a B27 target at 5 to 7 yards one-handed with my weak hand. Also, I see the role of a BUG (for me) as being almost more of a 'get off me' type gun. As such, I like the NAA for the purpose better than a semiauto that could move out of battery when pressed against an attacker, etc.

My P3AT rides primary when I carry it. It disappears under an untucked t-shirt in a FOBUS without the need for another shirt under it. Regardless of whether my primary is the P3AT, my snubbie .357 or my Ruger P95, whenever I can carry the only time the NAA isn't in my offside pocket is when I have no choice but to carry the P3AT in my strongside pocket (not my favorite way to carry a primary.)