From my experience, Kel-Tec SUCKS!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bryank, Jun 5, 2010.

1. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Bought a P3AT new, fired once every ~5 trigger pulls because the hammer wouldn't drop the whole way. Emailed KT, they gave me a default reply. Took it to a gunsmith, he couldnt figure it out. KT said 5 weeks wait time on the return, then said 6, then said 8. Came back saying the replaced internals and test fired it. Guess what, problem is still there. Worst company ever IMO

2. Not sure what to say to you. I'm not a gun smith, but very good at fixing stuff. If I can see how it should work, and see how it is not working, then most likely i can fix it. Really need more info from you. But from what you have said i think little of a gun smith that cn't figure out why a gun is not working, unless it was working for him. It is my understanding KT does not try to recreate your issue, but just replaces any part that my need it and then test fires the weapon several times.

Need more info from you. what ammo do you use? Etc. Describe what is not working in detail. It could be a lot of things having nothing to do with the gun itself, but how it is being used, Etc.

Most work great out of the box, some needed lots of work. I love mine. It is a daily carry. But it was one of those troubled child to begin with. But as i did my research before buying I knew that could be a issue at first.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I would have to agree your expreance with the P3AT suxs
    background
    maybe you can get your money back

4. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    Which brand of ammo are you using? Are you using reloads or factory stuff? Are you sure the hammer is not dropping or do you have a box of ammo with hard primers? Rather than bitching and moaning about what you have, tell us the symptoms you are experiencing and we may just be able to help remedy the problem.

When you go to the doctor for a bad knee, do you tell the doctor your knee is a POS or do you tell him what, when, and where you are hurting?

5. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    The trigger bar is supposed to move the hammer block out of the path of the hammer just before the trigger has achieved full rearward travel. Obviously yours does not. The fact that you stated in your earlier post with the 20 sec. video in, I think, April, that it worked with a rapid pull of the trigger but not with a slow pull indicates that the trigger bar is almost but not quite moving the hammer block far enough with a slow trigger pull.

BTW, the hammer spring roll pin is what actually hits the hammer block and stops the forward motion of the hammer.

I would suspect that the K/T tech rapid fired your P-3AT and found that it worked as it is supposed to.

I would remove a small amount of the polymer from either the back of the trigger or the front of the grip strap where the two parts meet when the trigger is pulled through and see if that fixed the problem if it were mine.

Basically, I think your trigger is just bottoming out on the grip a hair too soon.

There could be quite a number of underlying causes for your problem but I think a little more rearward trigger travel will cure it.

6. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    When you take the position (and attitude) that something is simply a "POS" when there is a problem, and don't bother to work with the company to fix it, clearly telling then what did not work and how, then it is difficult for me to see how you could expect good results. The purpose of this post is clearly to lambaste Kel Tec, and not to get the gun working. Kel Tec, like all companies, is not perfect and makes lots of mistakes, but no company can make someone happy with a product who seems determined not to be. JMHO

Jim R

7. low-side

low-side New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I agree with PshootR about the trigger bar. It could be misshapen or have burrs (it is stamped) that cause it to not pull the hammer block far enough forward. It could even be something on the block itself.

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Or, it could be operator error.

Unless you fully release the trigger, and allow it to re-set, it will snap off the hammer block and misfire every time.

rc

9. phatgemi

phatgemi New Member

Jun 2, 2010

Good advice! I have a almost new p3at. Worked fine for first 50 rounds and then started getting failure to eject. I called kt and they agreed with me that it probably was extractor issue. They sent me new one which was easily installed. Then to add to the mix, I made real sure I was not limp wristing. Since then, I have put about another 100 thru with no problems. I found kt to be very responsive and helpful. They stated that if the new extractor didn't help, then to send the piece back to them for repair.

:)

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the youtube "bryank" posted shows the problem exactly as he discribed...

11. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    I'll give you $50 for the POS. I'm in a good mood so I'll pay for shipping to my FFL too.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    I'll give you a brand new crispy 100 dollar bill plus shipping.

13. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I really don't think any of us are going to be able to fix his "problem."  

Here are all his posts.

And the best of all is his second post on this entire forum...

14. chase

chase New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    hmmm, so sent you over here? Most of us friendly folks will do everything to help you, if you are using reloads, limpwristing (NOT a gay comment) or other issues, we are here to help. We would not do this if the KelTec platform was a POS, sounds like the attitude comes before the request for assistance. Sorry dude, you lost this this battle because of our kind spirit....jb

It sucks to be you

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the only thoughs related to your problem seem to to be trigger travel after the hammer is released.

Hope you can get it resolved or some other resolution

since this seems to now be wandering about "attitude", it is closed for replies