Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Kel tec is ever gonna give us an RDB with a free float hand guard, bc Imo it'd be a pretty easy thing to do, at least with people who already have RDBs. They would just switch out the barrel and hand guards, and it would basically be done. One advantage beside accuracy of course, would be the ability to extend the picatinny rail all the way to the end of the barrel, allowing you to mount iron sights or other accessories, because currently the pic rail on top of the rdb is pretty short.

Another thing I'd like to see would be an improved upper receiver with a mechanism for a chamber check. Anyways this was just my semi rant about improvements I'd like to see to the RDB platform.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems kind of pointless if there's going to be two points of contact from the Gas Block and Grip Mount. The barrel can't really ever be truly 'free floated' like an AR-15.

You could probably find some way to design a handguard that only has one point of contact (at the grip mount), but it would probably require some kind of block to clamp around the barrel since there isn't much to grab onto. Either way, the barrel harmonics are still affected by the gas block.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems kind of pointless if there's going to be two points of contact from the Gas Block and Grip Mount. The barrel can't really ever be truly 'free floated' like an AR-15.

You could probably find some way to design a handguard that only has one point of contact (at the grip mount), but it would probably require some kind of block to clamp around the barrel since there isn't much to grab onto. Either way, the barrel harmonics are still affected by the gas block.
Now that I think about it more, I guess it's more or less a problem inherent to the rifle itself. But imo, a chamber check mechanism in the upper receiver would be nice too ig. Or I guess I could always get out the dremel. Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more aftermarket support for the rdb considering that it's such a modular rifle.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more aftermarket support for the rdb considering that it's such a modular rifle.
Too new, and less market-share than the AR platforms so less potential profit yet. Mostly niche makers catering to the specifics of the RDB so far.

It's only a 5 year old platform after all, and only in the last 2-3 years really got past it's teething issues after initial release. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too new, and less market-share than the AR platforms so less potential profit yet. Mostly niche makers catering to the specifics of the RDB so far.

It's only a 5 year old platform after all, and only in the last 2-3 years really got past it's teething issues after initial release. :)
That's true. I'd really love for the RDB to see more recognition, cause there's just so much potential in modularity and the way that the rifle is setup. Though I would like to see an mlok handguard where the pic rail uptop is integrated into that instead of the barrel, would take some weight off of the barrel. and make the accuracy better. But hey, just my ideas. IDK, it's just so annoying that a platform with so much potential is ignored by so many.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Or I guess I could always get out the dremel.
Does removing the magazine, flipping it over an eyeballng the chamber not work for you?

If not, your request is echoed by lots of owners of bullpups. I don't understand the complaint myself since, for the ones I own, what I wrote above works on all of them. Heck, I read the complaint regarding a bullpup that also has a chamber viewing port built in, and it's "right there".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does removing the magazine, flipping it over an eyeballng the chamber not work for you?

If not, your request is echoed by lots of owners of bullpups. I don't understand the complaint myself since, for the ones I own, what I wrote above works on all of them. Heck, I read the complaint regarding a bullpup that also has a chamber viewing port built in, and it's "right there".
It's fine. But it's not the most ergonomic solution, and u basically have to flip the gun a full 180 to actually eyeball the chamber and see if there's anything. I guess I just have to train more regarding that I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I forgot there's actually three points of contact, not two, since the Barrel Extension also has a receiver pin contacting it.

I think the biggest issue getting in the way of a free-floated handguard is the lack of real estate to butt up against. If you're only going to get one spot to hang the rest of the handguard off of, you need a fair bit of it for adequate support and rigidity. And it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of that to be had at the grip mount, which is your only logical place to put the base of the handguard - unless you have some kind of barrel clamp or you maybe knock out the handguard dowels on the grip mount and use a new takedown pin maybe.

It's certainly within the realm of possibility, but is there enough demand out there to justify the design work, manufacturing etc when there's already 3 aluminum MLOK handguard options on the market? Probably not is my guess.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Ad its already been said here, I agree a forearm would have to come off the grip/ lower with the OE forearm removed.
Many have found that taking any hold pressure off the barrel, even a rest, gives the best results.
All this supports my reasoning for a drop-in stock. The RDB flexes like a noodle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot there's actually three points of contact, not two, since the Barrel Extension also has a receiver pin contacting it.

I think the biggest issue getting in the way of a free-floated handguard is the lack of real estate to butt up against. If you're only going to get one spot to hang the rest of the handguard off of, you need a fair bit of it for adequate support and rigidity. And it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of that to be had at the grip mount, which is your only logical place to put the base of the handguard - unless you have some kind of barrel clamp or you maybe knock out the handguard dowels on the grip mount and use a new takedown pin maybe.

It's certainly within the realm of possibility, but is there enough demand out there to justify the design work, manufacturing etc when there's already 3 aluminum MLOK handguard options on the market? Probably not is my guess.
Ad its already been said here, I agree a forearm would have to come off the grip/ lower with the OE forearm removed.
Many have found that taking any hold pressure off the barrel, even a rest, gives the best results.
All this supports my reasoning for a drop-in stock. The RDB flexes like a noodle.
Yea, the best kel tec could prolly do is removing that one support which connects the barrel to the handguard, and stiffening up the barrel. Would still love to see the platform get more recognition and get more aftermarket, cause then we might see more barrel and barrel options, and like picatinny handguards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts