Frame warped

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bergners, Jun 5, 2009.

1. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Anyone seen this...the frame around the assembly pin has warped outward enough that the pin does not go all the way in. Only 12 rounds fired at this point.

Definately warranty. guess I'll have to ship to Kel-Tec

Steve

2. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Are you referring to the Aluminum block frame or the Polymer frame covering? The Polymer can be pushed out if the pin is pulled incorrectly but I think it's just temporary if you figure out what went wrong.

3. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    It is the polymer part. I have taken it apart and back together probably twenty times before I shot it.

The top down view of the left side of the frame looks like the illustration below. The polymer side actually bends outward exactly where the pin goes in. The little wire that holds the pin in place looks like it could pop out any time.

------__-------- The pushed out part is actually curved, not square.

Steve

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    This is not an unusual thing to happen with repeated disassembly. When you remove the pin you should push down on the area of the polymer grip around the pin hole.
    I think it can be fixed using a bit of heat but I don't have any first hand experience with that, try a search maybe you will find some good information.

You don't need to ship it back to KT, if you can't fix the grip you have they might send you a new one for free. Even if you have to pay for the replacement I think they are like $30 which would be cheaper than shipping costs of the weapon. Changing the grip isn't too hard, there are good instructions under the PF9 with pictures that would be very helpfull.

CJ

Edit: here id a link with some good info about the grip getting warped, it's about 1/2 way down the page. They say if you remove the frame from the grip you can use a hairdryer to heat the area up and push in back in place.
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm

5. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Thanks for the info...I will give that a try. I appreciate the help.

I must say that I think it is pretty bogus that the frame would warp like that to begin with.

Steve

6. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    It's not the frame that bent, it's the grip. Happens now and then. Heat it a little and push it back.

7. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Another thing to keep in mind it that this gun is way out there on the bell curve. For sompfin this small, this light, this cheap, you have to pay some price. Ruger makes a 9mm that a tank could run over, but lots o' luck carring that with shorts and flip flops. It is a tricky little gun that needs quite a bit of tlc, but, of all my guns, it is the one I have on me most often, by far.

8. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have a hair dryer. I am going to see a gunsmith tomorrow to have some ghost ring sights put on my Remington 870, he could probably heat it up for me.

Steve

9. neknraw

neknraw New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Same thing happened to me some time ago. The grip bulged around the assemblhy pin hole. What happened to me was I did not hold firm around the assembly pin. The hair pin spring came out of its notch. Take a small sharp pick like an o-ring tool and carefully reseat the spring. If this does not work for you, then you will need to remove the frame ( the serial numbered part from the grip to reseat the hair pin spring. Hint...remove only the two plastic frame to grip pins, NOT the hammer block pin. Don't forget to release the hammer spring before attempting the seperation of grip from frame The hammer block pin is metal and is the lower pin in the grip checkering. Good luck and also check other threads on the site for other info.

10. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Well...I've got a real mess now...I got the bulge fixed but somehow I got the hammer block spring to pop out, removed the hammer block pin and dropped the hammer block out. I hope the gunsmith can put Humpty back together again. :'(

Steve

11. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    It's really not to hard to put the hammer block back in, you just need to use a punch as a slave pin and get the hammer block and spring onto. Then push the pin into the grip and onto the HB and spring. The PF9 thread about disassembly is very helpfull even with the P3AT as most of the parts are similar or the same. Give it a try it's a great way to learn about your new friend.

CJ

12. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Don't give up on it, Steve. I've got and had many handguns over the years. The ones that are with me all the time are my KTs. I have a P3AT and PF-9. I kind of think about these guns as 'kit' guns. You make a KT your gun by incorporating various mods and a lot of TLC. Just be patient, my friend.

13. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
  14. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Great help and support, thanks everyone.

I got the spring and hammer block back in but noticed that the long end of the spring was pointing up instead of down. While trying to correct this, the spring decided to enter the paralell universe that one sock in the dryer goes to...Guess it's time to order another spring and several spares. ;)

Thanks,
    Steve

15. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    I like to use a box top from a computer forms type box, It gives me enough room to work, and a 3 inch lip to keep parts in the area.

16. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    A miracle happened!!!! I found the spring, got the spring and the hammer block installed.

I inserted the hammer spring pin slightly from the right side and put the hammer block on it then put the spring in using a hemostat.

The problem now is when I push the hammer block forward from the back with the receiver raised slightly, it either goes to far forward or not enough.

Any suggestions on the position of the hammer when I do this? forward, straight up, all the way back?

Steve

17. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Hot damn...All done. I had the hammer block in backwards. All back together, good as new.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

18. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    I bet this whole mess could have been avoided if you had reached down the crack with a dental pick and put the retainer spring back in it's pocket in the frame.

When the spring gets displaced by popping the pin without holding the grip in tight, it gets wedged between the frame & grip causing a bowed or bulged grip.

rc

19. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Good going, Steve. I hope you enjoy your pocket rocket as much as I enjoy mine.

20. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    The whole mess certainly could have been avoided if I had know that the pin was the actual problem.
    I look at it this way...I sure learned a lot about my P3AT.

Thanks again.
    Steve