Frame & Slide Froze

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by az4ray, Jan 4, 2008.

1. az4ray

az4ray New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Hi Folks, I am new to the board

When cleaning my P3, after removing the pin, the slide would move forward only about 1/4 inch on the frame. I pulled the slide all the way to the rear and it cocked itself. I again moved the slide forward and it stopped again in the same place. I then pulled the trigger to see what would happon. At this point the slide and frame (receiver) froze in place and will not move, period. The only thing I would know to do, is take a small plastic hammer and see if I can get the slide to move forward.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Ray

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG. Pulling the trigger was a definate bad thing to do, but not the end of the world.

the problem going foward is the head of the recoil guide rod has dug a groove in the aluminum frame (normal).

IF you could pull the slide back, you could push down on the end of the guide rod to lift the head out of the groove.
    Or pull the slide back and release till it hammers it self off.

ONCE you pulled the trigger and the slide being just a little foward, the hammer went past the firing pin and when you try to pull slide back, the hammer gets caught trying to lift the firing pin.

You are correct in that you are now commeted to tapping it off.

when you put it back together, remeber to pull the hammer back till it returns to normal or the slide won't go

3. az4ray

az4ray New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    JFB , Thanks for the quick reply. I was about to send it back to Kel Tec and that would have cost $$$$$$$$.

I did just as you said and everything worked just find. Of course now I will have to take it to the range for a check to see that everthing is working. I have other gun's but I like this little thing.

Thanks again, Ray

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Did you notice a little groove in the frame where that rod rest?

After a hard disassembly, the groove should have been smoothed down so it will not happen again

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    if not , some 800 grit sandpaper and 000 steel woll will smooth that rough burr out just fine.

and do not worry, these things are a lot more durable than you would think...