Frame rails - lot of wear

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by El_Barto, Dec 14, 2010.

1. El_Barto

El_Barto New Member

May 4, 2006
    I've had my P3AT for a few years now. I have only shot about 200-250 shots through it in this time. Last year, I sent it back to KT to slide replacement as it had a slight crack in the rear of it.

Since then I have noticed a good bit of wear on my frame rails. The rails are basically silver. I know that with Sigs, you need to worry once the anodizing has worn off showing silver on the rails. My question is should I be concerned about the rails on my P3AT like I would with my Sig?

There's a couple of tiny burs on the frame rails and the slide itself. But the burs don't correspond to each other. What I mean is that the burs on the slide don't match up with the ones on the frame. Is this something that I would want to 'file' off my self?

I have always taken care of my gun and these burs are not from me.

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It is normal for the anodizing to rub off the frame. Wear normally stops once the parts are seated properly. You can sand or file down the burs without adverse affect as long as you don't go to far.

You didn't say what you were using to lube the frame and slide rails. Most of us recommend grease on the frame and slide rails. The grease stays put whereas oil runs off and in the heat of Summer can leave a gun with little to no lubrication. If the gun is fired try or almost dry that can lead to galling of the aluminum. That happened to me last year with my PF-9. I originally thought is was my recoil springs causing it to jam one day at the range. When I tore it down at home, I had forgotten to lube the gun before reassembling it. The result was added wear to my frame. Thankfully I stopped shooting it instead of really forcing the issue. It probably saved my gun. Now I triple check my guns before I put them away.

Any quality, high temp grease will do. I use Tetra grease all the time now though I've also used Birchwood Casey's choke tube grease with great results too. Some of our fellow KTOGers use wheel bearing grease. The maker, type, or purpose of the grease doesn't matter as long as it is high temp grease.

3. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    (fixed that for ya)

Not all of it though .

The rails should not be mostly silver after a few hundred rounds if properly lubed..

Here is a good guide to proper lubercation on your KT;
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

4. El_Barto

El_Barto New Member

May 4, 2006
    Thanks for the input.

Right now I am using some Mil Pro 7 oil. I bought some Hoppe's gun grease, but wasn't too impressed with it. Seems like it is not thick enough so I put the MP7 on instead.

To me it just seems too excessive to have my rails mostly silver. There's some black on them, but I am just worried about premature wear.

I'll try to get some pics up of my gun to show you guys.

5. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I seem to recall that Hoppes Gun Grease is a preservative not a lubricating grease. Have they come up with a lube type of grease? Lubriplate, Enos Slide Clide, tetra , TW25B are examples of lubricating grease. that will protect your handgun and make it work and function better.

6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I think what you are describing is normal. Pics of the rails would be helpful though. I replaced the slide on mine as the old one was one of the few HC slides to have a peening issue. That resulted in more wear on the rails. Streaks of silver is pretty normal as long as not all of the black is gone.