Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before shooting my RFB for the first time I disassembled it to clean it, lubricate it and learn some about its assembly and operation. When I went to reassemble it, things went pretty well until it came time to push the rear frame pins home. I had a terrible time getting them in. Looking in the hole I could see that the internal parts were not all aligned, particularly the top cover relative to the receiver. Looking at the right side, I could see that the serial number was not in the window, the bottom half of the characters were visible at the top of the window and I could not get things to align properly. After struggling for 20 or 30 minutes assembling, disassembling, holding the gun in different ways, and pressing on the top cover in different directions with varying amounts of force, I got a drift pin and forced it in from the left side to pry things into alignment. That let me get the forward frame pin in. After that I was able to use the drift pin in the rear frame pin hole to finish prying things into alignment so I could get the rear frame pin to scrape its way through.
I've had the thing apart 3 or 4 times since and, except for one time when it all slid together like magic, I've had to use the drift pin to get the frame pins in.
Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I always place the butt of the gun on the floor and hold the barrel with one hand and press it into the floor. This aligns the pins to their slots and they push in easily from this position.

Sent from my iPhone using Kel-Tec Forum

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I tried that position, among many. The mialignment is not along the axis of the barrel (9 o'clock - 3 o'clock), but at an angle to it, more like 10 o'clock - 4 o'clock.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put in the front two pins, no problem, the back two take a little more, as you have to slightly compress the action springs to align them. So I squeeze the top and bottom together as I pull the rifle into my hip, and then pop in the 3rd and 4th pin. If I go straight to the 4th (rear) pin first, it's very hard to align.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Don't think I tried that particular combination of squeezing and compressing. I'll try it and see if that helps.

If not, I will add some pictures showing the misalignment for comment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I kinda still have trouble realigning the holes but like the others said, you just have to find that way to squeeze and compress.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
To get it to align during re-assembly, with the forward 2 pins in place and the rifle assembled, I put the muzzle on the floor, push down on the buttpad to perform the final last bit of compression then squeeze the upper and rear lower together. This usually brings the rear two pins into alignment. It gets easier the more you do it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
To get it to align during re-assembly, with the forward 2 pins in place and the rifle assembled, I put the muzzle on the floor, push down on the buttpad to perform the final last bit of compression then squeeze the upper and rear lower together. This usually brings the rear two pins into alignment. It gets easier the more you do it...
Yep. That's it.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much. I will try this shoulder and two hands approach (at least that's how I envision having to do it) when I get back home.
As a data point, pushing the rear frame pin out takes quite a bit of force due to the not-quite-aligned parts so they don't seem to get any better aligned while sitting / shooting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah I've had this problem with the rear pin, I just work it into the hole by light hammering it with a rubber mallet. Try to put some oil on it, eventually it will wear a little & this shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Kel-Tec Forum

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off base with what I am doing/ experiencing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts