Frame peening and smiley faces related?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by garyd1961, Feb 23, 2011.

1. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    My P3AT has a problem with smiley faces so I decided to shorten the feed ramp. I did this on my P40 and it stopped the smiley faces but they continued to happen on P3AT after the ramp mod. I was just looking at the ramp of the P3AT and the shape of the smiley faces and they don't match the feed ramp. So I looked a little closer and noticed the frame has peening just below the feed ramp at the top of the mag. This is the corner of the frame at the top of the magwell and it matches right up with the smiley faces. The feed ramp is curved and the smiley faces are straight. There is a spot on the corner where something has been hitting,I assume it is the bullet. From this spot there are half circles radiating out like waves in water. Could this be causing the smiley faces ?Will the peening get worse? Finally is there a way to fix this?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have seen a rare case or two where smilies were caused by the first round in the mag hitting that edge of the frame.

Options are:

1.  Use shorter (OAL) rounds.
    2.  Send the gun in for service.
    3.  Carefully file/sand/smooth that edge of the frame. This will remove the anodizing.

3. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    I believe the problem is the round is nose diving as it comes out of then mag. The first round doesn't do it but the second on does it. With a full mag you can't push the nose of the round downward but as the mag gets empty it gets easier to push the nose down.
    I want to try stronger mag springs. I saw on here where someone is selling +20% mag springs does anyone know who this is?

4. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Frankly, we just about never see any problems with the P3AT mag springs, at least not that require extra power springs. They are high quality springs. Of course it is possible that you somehow have a defective spring, in which case you could have KT service send out a new one. Wolf does make the extra power springs if you care to try that.
    http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/KELTEC/P3AT/cID1/mID31/dID150

5. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    I'm going have to send this one back to the factory. I have only shot about 25 rounds and the frame is peened up in two places. One place where something (bullet?) is hitting right below the feed ramp.One place where the end of the guide rod sits. I called KT today but the tech was at lunch. I told the lady on the phone I would call back but never got the chance. I wonder what they will say about me modifying the feed ramp? I did the same mod to my P40 and it runs great now. I really don't care I just want my gun fixed even if I have to pay for it.

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You should take and post a few macro pics.

7. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Here is one thing you can try....

Remove the recoil spring from your slide, then re-assemble the pistol. Now you can slowly cycle the slide and watch in the port what is happening. Try it with and without the magazine, and with and without ammo loaded in the magazine.

And like Tx says, some pictures would be nice.

og

8. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    Not educated enough to post pictures. I talked to KT again today and I will be sending it back to them to fix. If I had known it was the frame causing the smiley faces I wouldn't have messed with it. With everything I have read about smileys I was sure it was the feed ramp. I fixed my P40 by shortening the feed ramp but it didn't help this gun. I went further with the ramp mod on the P3AT than I probably should have but after no improvements after the first try I took some more off. The end of the ramp is blunted and the smileys have a sharp indentation. There is no way the feed ramp caused these smileys. The only other possible explanation is the bullet is hitting the corner of the frame causing the smileys and the frame peening. Also the guide rod is peening the frame and this is after only 25 rounds.