Found some old Corbon 380 ammo....

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rkammer, Aug 16, 2010.

1. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    While going through my old ammo stash this morning, I found an unused box of Corbon 380 +P using a 90gr JHP bullet at 1050 FPS.  (That's about 220 Ft lbs energy) It was made in 1995 and the SKU is M7761.  I'm not afraid to shoot this 15 year old ammo as it's been stored in AC all these years but, am wondering if anyone has tested this stuff in their P3AT?

I've read a lot about Corbon's DPX and how good it is but wonder if this stuff might be good as well.   :)

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Ballistics may be the same on the current Corbon loads as 15 years ago, but bullet technolgy isn't. I would venture to guess that the bullet on the 15 year old load would not perform as well as the newer bullets. I know that my 9MM Winchestor JHP bullets using the black talon technology perform much better today than 15 years ago.

Best Regards: :)

3. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    You're right, bullet tech has come a long way in 15 years but, I was hoping that with the ballistics of a 90 gr bullet traveling at 1050 FPS, the wound data might be fairly good. The respected Buffalo Bore JHP at 1100 FPS is a great expander and this Corbon round is going nearly as fast. Looks to be faster than any other 90 gr out there. I could do some testing with it but only have the one box of 20 to work with.

4. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

I'd be surprised if you really go 1050 FPS out of the Corbon JHP's, Goldenloki clocked the current Corbon +P rounds at 950 FPS. I'd take a look at his website, the current rounds met the FBI 12" minimum penetration criteria after 4 layers of denim.

Best Regards: ;)

5. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Do the P3ATs normally feed and eject them OK?

6. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    I got mixed results with the CorBon 90gr JHP in wetpack tests. The bullet might be harder lead than most. Some expand, some don't. Clik the WWW for access to tests.

7. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Probably ok for plinking. If looking for carry rounds I'd use something new.

8. gcnd

gcnd New Member

May 18, 2010
    I have to agree. Get some new ammo for carry to be safe.

9. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Please don't think me unappreciative but my original post asked if anyone had used/tested this CorBon ammo before in their P3ATs. I wasn't asking if the ammo was safe to shoot. I merely was seeking info on the ballistic performance of this stuff and if it may have been changed by CorBon since 1995.

My experience tells me that ammo that has been kept in an airtight container in an air conditioned home for 15 years is definitely safe to shoot. I've shot much older ammo than that with not a trace of a problem.

Again, I do appreciate the thoughts. :)

10. BillinPittsburgh

BillinPittsburgh New Member

May 25, 2008
    I have had no issues with Cor-Bon in my P3AT. A friend who has one has also had good experiences with this ammo.

Lately I am using Winchester ammo in this caliber, primarily for the more sensitive primer.