Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going thru crap in the garage this past weekend. When I moved in with Joyce 16 years ago she had a lot of stuff her ex-husband had left. When you added in my stuff the garage was full & then some. I'm finially getting around to going thru boxes that have not been opened for years & years & years.

I had a starter pistol (.22 blanks) that I'd found/picked up somewhere 30 years ago. I thought this was it. I took a closer look & imagine my surprise!

Note the cast frame & steel barrel liner.

A previous owner had replaced the crane pivot pin with a screw & also the cylinder rod retaining spring retainer to match.

The thing that scares me is that apparently they made over 920,000 guns!!

AND made in the USA, sort of. ;)

Another gun I don't have ammo for AND I WILL NOT BE BUYING ANY EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
That is a low powered load so you should be fine shooting it if you ever like. I have an old Iver Johnson that is still safe also. Not much power but check you can find cheap reloading ideas for this using #1 buckshot or .32 blackpowder balls over a grain or 2 of smokeless powder. :cool:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those were my thoughts exactly RC.     ;D

When searching yesterday morning I found this one for $70 with shipping included on GunsAmerica.    ::)

http://www.gunsamerica.com/993021964/Guns/Pistols/C-Misc-Pistols/Clerke_1st_32sw_short.htm

I figure mine will be going to one of those "Gun Buy Back" programs.   ;)

My Wife's ex was a local cop (words & lack of capitalization chosen on purpose) aka, a douchebag.  I figure this was something he had "to plant" as it were.

I will not be shooting this thing.  Nor will I waste space in the safe.  If it hangs around for any length of time I'll remove the firing pin & glue it to the inside of one of the grips.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
RAT76 said:
Those were my thoughts exactly RC.     ;D

When searching yesterday morning I found this one for $70 with shipping included on GunsAmerica.    ::)

I figure mine will be going to one of those "Gun Buy Back" programs.   ;)

My Wife's ex was a local cop (words & lack of capitalization chosen on purpose) aka, a douchebag.  I figure this was something he had "to plant" as it were.

I will not be shooting this thing.  Nor will I waste space in the safe.  If it hangs around for any length of time I'll remove the firing pin & glue it to the inside of one of the grips.

Wipe your prints off that thing... :)

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
At first I was like, "Rat found an old gun. Cool!" After seeing it my next thought was, "Is it safe"? Anyway, congrats on the find!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My daughter's boyfriend got one from a buddy last year. It was a .32 Clerke. He got it for 25 bucks. He tried bumming some .32 long off of me, but I showed him that it would only fire shorts. When he found out a new box ammo was more per box than the gun, he got rid of it.

Guy at a gunshow tried to sell me a .22 cal Clerke at a gunshow a couple of months ago. It was still LNIB and he wanted a hundred for it. I laughed at him and told him that they sold for about 10 bucks back in the 60s. Also that a cap pistol was more reliable. he got pizzed and left. ;D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
rcmodel said:
Here is an amusing description of one on Gunbroker.
"We are filled with no small degree of nostalgic bliss to have another specimen of the poorest quality firearm ever made in the United States, an early variant of the notorious Clerke First." ;D ;D ;D

Now, that's a good one!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
[quote author=Pancho_Villa link=1283265814/0#8 date=1283313492]...a cap pistol was more reliable. he got pizzed and left. ;D

Geesh-  I wonder why he got mad?   ;)

I would still hang on to it if it was mine.[/quote]

Yep, I would too. I did offer the guy at the gunshow 20 bucks for the .22 he had. That would have been twice what it sold for new. It even had a box. The box was probably worth more than the gun. ;D

There were VARIANTS? Maybe a collectors editition with a wa wood box? The improved models must have had machine screws instead of wood screws holding it together. ::)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've seen a lot of cheap guns in my day, never heard of this one though. The posting linked above was pretty funny, you at least have a collector's piece. Just curious though, the listing says no sale to California or South Carolina. California I can sorta understand, but why no sale to S.C.?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pancho_Villa said:
Yep, I would too. I did offer the guy at the gunshow 20 bucks for the .22 he had. That would have been twice what it sold for new. It even had a box. The box was probably worth more than the gun. ;D
Dang Pancho! Why would you pay good money for one of these? I'll GIVE you this one if we can figure how to get it to you without spending way more than it's worth in shipping & FFL fees.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Wow what a junker. Kinda scary to find out you had firearms stashed in boxes in the garage though huh? Pancho if you choose to take Rat up on his offer I will do your transfer for $20. :cool:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
bamf_shadow said:
Wow what a junker. Kinda scary to find out you had firearms stashed in boxes in the garage though huh? Pancho if you choose to take Rat up on his offer I will do your transfer for $20.  :cool:
That's o.k. Thanks, but I'll pass on it. Don't care much for paper trails. That's what i like about the shows. Easy come, easy go. FTF and no paper trail. ;)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure I'd want a paper trail on this on either. ;D

You know, the really sad thing is Joyce had sold all her ex's guns & almost all his tools before I came into the picture. In fact on our first date I had to help carry the work bench next door. After that I volunteered to sort thru the crap in her garage for her before she got rid of any more. ;)

Yesterday was our 15th anniversery. I think I'll keep her. :D

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Resurrecting this thread with an update.

In July of 2016 I got a 32 J Frame that came with some ammo including half a box of 32 S&W rounds. Later that year I shot them thru the Tarus, NOT the Clerke, & reloaded them with 1 grain of Bullseye & a .311 ball I got a mold for. Yeah any reason at all to buy a new mold. ;)

The next summer I took the Clerke & the mouse fart loads down to my friend Brad's place in Texas. Fun times were had by all. The balls were undersized for the gun, .311 vs .314, so I'd put some wax over the ball to seal the load.

Wearing gloves we started testing it out. Horrible trigger but it went bang. Messy with soot & wax due to the undersized ball. About halfway thu the rounds it started spitting lead out the side. Examination revealed the cylinder lineup was off.

We shot the rest of the rounds making sure the cylinder was lined up. By the time we were done the cylinder spins freely as the index pawl no longer does anything. The cylinder does lock up (more or less) when the hammer is back & the trigger is pulled. I am real glad I didn't try this thing out with factory or even light loads with real bullets.

Brad passed away a few years back. I gave the Clerke to his brother the other day. He lives in California & will dispose of it properly. Told him to take his wife to dinner with the proceeds from the buyback. Might get enough to cover tacos.

Bottom line not a functional gun & too light ot make a good anchor.

On another note Joyce & I celebrated our 25th anniversary last September. She's still a keeper & is still putting up with me. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts