found a NIB P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by oldgranpa, Oct 23, 2009.

1. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Ran across a NIB P3AT at a local Pawn&Gun shop that he just got in. Serial K8Kxx, mfg date June 2009 (per KT e-mail). OTD price $300 incl. tax, less than anything on gunbroker of same quality. But cost more than some other areas of the country being reported. Pistol seems to be made better than some of the older ones I've had. And I've had 5.
    Have only shot 10 rounds thru it, out-of-box, no cleaning, new Winchester 92gr FMJ from S&B factory, .974"OAL ammo (longer OAL than UMC or Fed AEagle) and big surprise!!...no Smiley!!
    Under 10x magnification all I could see was a tiny nick on one side of bullet. Best estimate was .001" setback at most (which is possible with ammo still in mag after recoil from firing pistol). Seems like mag follower rides higher inside gun, well above the feed ramp (which was polished). Only shot it offhand, 4 yds, all shots in 6" circle. Just a quick range trip.
    Plans are to compare this P3AT with the Kahr P380 in the same wetpack, do a few Chrony tests, and look again for Smileys. But all I've done to the gun is clean it. I'm not going to mess with it doing any fluff&buff or other mods.
    Could it possibly be that KelTec has done some minor tweeking to make this pistol better? I only bought it thinking it might be fun to do some major tweeking of my own to see if I could lessen the Smiley problem by cutting off a bit of the feed ramp. However, can't believe I got a P3AT that doesn't do smileys!! I've heard of others that did, that I didn't believe was true either.
    So, if this thing behaves the same on the next test, I'll keep it like it is. Don't fix it if it ain't broke is true!!
    And if it's true, Ruger can take their LCP and shove it!! ::) :eek:
    og...who is only a Jr.Member here due to circumstances beyond my control ;) (member since 2004!)

2. Dugger

Dugger Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Pops don't think u will have to do any tweekin on the gun, All i do is shoot and clean mine it was manufactured about the same time as yours. And don't worry about being a Jr member I think I am still at that point too ;D

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Just from reading posts here at KTOG over a period of 2+ years it would appear that newly manufactured P3ATs have gotten more reliable. Just seems to be less issues posted than years ago.

Take care...

4. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Did the wetpack and Smiley test today with great results! Pictures and report is at....
    http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=3843.0
    for anyone interested.

There were no smileys with any JHP ammo with this new P3AT. Accuracy from bench rest was excellent.

og......who has found a "keeper" P3AT!

5. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Here you can see the picture of the P3AT vs P380 wetpack test.....(without having to register or login, I think)

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236251&page=2

just scroll down the page until you get to where I posted links to the pictures. I think they will show. Let me know if not. I just don't like using photobucket.

(Lot's of good comments about 380 ammo in that link)

og

6. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Nice test og, thanks for sharing :cool:

7. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Here ya go on the pics;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ditto on the thanks OG ,we do appreciate all your work

8. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    good job, burley! Thanks much. I could have used photobucket but just too much trouble for me.
    Hope everybody enjoys the pictures. I was really pleased with the test results.
    og

(wish KTOG could fix it so we could post pictures direct. That's mainly why I haven't posted many reports here over the years.)

9. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    In general, attachments are possible with YaBB forum software, but our administrator has them disabled. I have no idea why, but it could be for some security reason. Maybe someone could ask.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    In general, attachments are possible with YaBB forum software, but our administrator has them disabled. I have no idea why, but it could be for some security reason. Maybe someone could ask.[/quote]

from Site Feedback and Announcments, Posting Photos
    so it sounds more like a storage consideration, than software :-/