Found a new load to use for practice

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by johnfrommd, Nov 30, 2008.

1. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Hi folks,

I shoot 9mm and have always wanted to use a 115gn bullet in the P3 as finding 95gns in bulk is rather impossible.  Now I don't have to worry about it as I use the same bullet that I use in the 9mm.

Here is the load that I came up with that works fine with no pressure signs.

115gn FMJ or Berry TMJ
    3.5 to 3.7 AA #5
    COAL  .090 to .095 depending on the ogive of the bullet and if your mag will accept the longer length.

At 21 feet, this load is  pleasant to shoot and gives me a 1.5 inch group when slow fired from the bench.  As I said, they are pleasant to shoot, have no pressure signs and the brass stays in the immediate area.

AA5 is an ideal powder as it is dense and doesn't take up too much room.  The COAL has to be long on the bullets that I use in order to taper crimp at the bullets major diameter.

Regards,

John

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Might want to review your COAL there.

.090" to .095" thousandths seems mighty short to me! :eek:

Sure it isn't .900" to .950"?

rcmodel

3. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Damn,

I knew skipping all those math classes would get me in the end. :'(

RCmodel is correct. .900 to .950 was what I had intended to say.

Regards,

John

4. shurshot1

shurshot1 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Question, I'm just a newbie to KTOG and I'm also a reloader.....do a lot of it but mostly on my C&Rs rifles. I do reload my Glock .40s as well (now that I have a KKM match barrel). I notice the P3AT does not completely support the cases (like the factory Glock barrels) yet I hear lots of guys reload the .380s like johnfrommd. I'm especially interested in practice loads but can't find any info on whether this is a problem with the KTs. Any advice? Cheers, Shurshot1

5. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    The manual says no reloads, so thats my advice,  but I also reload the 380 for my Carry load.  I use 3.5gr (weigh every powder charge) of HP-38 and 90gr Hornady XTP HP bullets.  It is a very good load and I have never had a failure with it.  I have found that you don't want to crimp the case as to bevel the edge at all, best thing to use is a Lee factory crimp die.

CK

6. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I have not had any problems with reloads or hot factory loads. My cases do not look like the cases that come out of my Glock. This is the first time I have heard that the P3 chamber does not fully support the case. I will have to take a closer look but I have not seen any bulged cases as I do with my G26 and G27.

Regards,

John

7. shurshot1

shurshot1 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Yeah, CK...and I loaded 40 S&Ws for my Glock for nearly a year before getting the KKM barrel. Oh, and I always weigh every load (don't believe in dippers) :D! I've loaded up some 95gr MagTech JHP and MagTech FMC bullets over 2.7 gr of Titegroup but haven't gotten to the range yet to try them. Also, I use Lee dies but haven't gotten a LFC for the .380 yet. Guess I better do that. Meanwhile, I'll pick up some HP-38 and try it out. Also have some Unique that I hear makes a good load.

Guess what I'm really looking for is an aftermarket barrel cause I don't like bulged cases! Does anyone out there know if anyone is making them (barrels that is)? Otherwise, have you heard of any kabooms from reloading the P3ATs?
    Shurshot1

8. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    John,

I believe the barrels of the p3at's are built to a looser chamber tolerance then many other guns, but reloads will still feed in your barrel chamber correctly, as long as you keep the bullet end of the case (the mouth) at .373" and the case length at 0.680". You don,t want lower, or lesser these measurements, or you risk the cartridge chambering just a little to far inside the barrel chamber, and it may appear that you have a light strike on the primmer, and no bang.

The cartridge round on these guns as well as most semi-auto pistols, is supported by the front end of the barrel chamber fitting against the mouth end of the cartridge case.

modified to read;  I know my Colt 1911 and Kimber 1911 don't support the entire cartridge either, they are open along the barrel chambering slide area as well as the Kel Tec.

I have really not noticed much bulging on the empty .380 cases once they have been sized and polished.

CK

9. Double and triple check you Cor-Bon DPX cases if you plan on reloading them.

Major case bulge out of my 3AT-----when I can find them. ;)