Forend Swap on SU-22?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by FlaGunGuy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. FlaGunGuy

FlaGunGuy New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Is it possible to swap the compact forend that comes standard on the SU-22 for the one with the built-in bipod as found on the SU-16A model? If so, how much does the part cost and is it difficult to make the change?

Thanks!

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I think the barrel nuts are different sizes, so the bipod forend wouldn't fit.

I could verify that, as I have the SU-16 and SU-22, but I'm too lazy! Maybe ktwm can clear up that issue, or maybe one of the guys who have been making aftermarket forends.

3. tesset79

tesset79 New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I'm no expert on the differences between models but this is my understanding of what I've talked to customers of our forends about. The barrel nuts are the same diameter. However, I think that to put a bipod forend from an SU-16 onto an SU-22 you would have the followong obstacles to overcome.
    -The lengths from the barrel nut to the front site posts are different. SU-22 is shorter.
    -The front site is a different material, contour, and I don't believe has the mounting hole in it.
    - The plastic retaining part that the bipod forend snaps closed on would need to bought(I don't think that an SU-22 uses one) and cut to get it onto the barrel nut.
    - Also you do not have the snap ring groove in the barrel nut to hold the snap ring that retains the spring for the plastic retaining nut.
    I don't physically have an SU-22 to compare to the SU-16 so again this is from my understanding. I'm sure that there are ways to get around all this but it wouldn't be easy. Maybe someone has already tried this and could tell what did/didn't work. Good Luck.

4. FlaGunGuy

FlaGunGuy New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Thanks for the insight; I figured it wouldn't be an easy swap.  :(

BTW, I do like your aftermarket forend -- very nice!  :cool: