Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or don't worry about it because buckshot will hit most things even without aim? I know a lot of people buy flashlights for their guns but isn't that a BAD thing? I mean, if it's just you and a spouse and you sleep together, can't you just assume that anyone else is a bad guy and shining a light tells them where YOU are?

·
Registered
276 Posts
First of all you still have to aim a shotgun. I don’t know why so many people believe the ridiculous, oft repeated myth that you don’t. Especially at distances you’re likely to have inside your house the spread is going to be minimal.

I would put some kind of sight on it. Even if you never plan to shoot it outside your house. Get a WML with a pressure switch and do a little research on how to use a weapon mounted light.

·
Registered
579 Posts
An inexpensive light or laser or light/laser combo is OK as long as it's not a piece of garbage. That's the rub. How good is that inexpensive light or Red Dot? It's not much good and can get you killed if it fails at the time of most critical need. I see it all the time with money saved on red dots in competition where failure only results in a low score. They are inexpensive for one or more reasons that prevent them selling for more. I've seen a friends red dot fail twice now because it's a battery hog. Again, there are deals to be had on quality items and some are actually quite inexpensive.

Sometimes one can get a decent piece of gear and not take out a mortgage by asking others as I did when I needed a light for my KS7 and didn't want to break the bank doing it. So far in testing it's holding up. But I still don't know if I like it since it doesn't have a tight hot spot for aiming with enough spill light for vision. But I knew that going in because the reflector wasn't deep. But I see the KS7 as being for extremely close range and not even shouldered, and any further than that I have a really good red dot mounted and I'll shoulder it.

Another reason to aim... buckshot makes holes, that's what it's for. Miss with it and renovations to a room can get expensive. Too, all projectiles are designed to penetrate or they aren't much good. The goal is to have the target get all of the goodness so that errant buckshot doesn't kill or maim the unintended. Every projectile has a lawyer attached to it. One of the safety rules is to know your backstop. That is simplified and fully met if the intended catches all of the shot. Drywall passes buckshot the same way a screen allows water from a hose through.

One thing not mentioned is practice, practice, practice. Yes, even with a shotgun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From my perspective, I purchased my KS7 as an alternative Home Defense weapon. For that purpose, the factory sight (on the handle) was probably adequate since my engagement would be potentially under 7 yards. However; for the range I set it up with a Red Dot. While I do want to be proficient at close HD range, I also want to see what it capable at longer ranges (essentially plinking). So (for me), the Red Dot is not required but is certainly not a hindrance either - and it adds to the flexibility at range time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another reason to aim... buckshot makes holes, that's what it's for. Miss with it and renovations to a room can get expensive.
For in-home protection, would something smaller like a mini-shell be safer or more practical? My main concern is that from what I see online, the mini shells (Aguila?) jam sometimes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
For in-home protection, would something smaller like a mini-shell be safer or more practical? My main concern is that from what I see online, the mini shells (Aguila?) jam sometimes.

As you should with any ammo, you need to take your shotgun to the range and run a dump truck load of shells through it. Only then will you be able to reliably predict how it will do with any given ammo.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That's exactly the way I think of the KS7 also Blue Sky.

I had one major problem with 1 3/4" shells. One reversed itself inside the gun. It was probably my fault with cycling the action, but if something can go wrong it probably will in serious usage when it counts. That sort of malfunction takes lots of time to clear and for that one reason I stopped considering them for HD use. But that was me and my KS7, they might be completely fine in yours. It needs to be tested thoroughly before proclaiming that they work.

I bought what I could of them when I could, before finding that problem with mine. Then they couldn't be purchased at all. So I started making my own 2" shells. In all my testing so far I have never had any malfunctions with mine. They function the same as 2 3/4" shells except they have reduced recoil.

Would they be safer? They are still deadly force and have the same issue with misses. I like them because at close range the 15 #4 buckshot (my loads) will totally destroy a small circle of tissue however deep they penetrate. I don't consider them for any distance, but at 10 yards they produce a pattern approx' 5-6 inches in diameter. That leads to huge trauma and that's exactly what the goal is. Would a bigger payload work better? Maybe. But with more mass coming out of the barrel also comes more recoil. Too, longer shells reduce the mag' capacity. Aguila 1 3/4" shells get 11 in the KS7 mag', my 2" shells get 10 in it, and 2 3/4" shells allow for 7. A 50% increase in mag capacity by changing nothing is pretty sweet. At close range I doubt that the target will notice any difference between a 1 3/4" buckshot load hitting it or a 2 3/4" load hitting it. If it didn't have the intended effect shoot again and destroy a new area and keep doing that until the message is received. One doesn't look for effect, once the shooting starts it continues until the threat ceases to be a threat. #4 buckshot might have problem getting through heavy winter clothing and subsequent penetration. Just something to be aware of. Slugs could be far too much. Check youtube for penetration testing. Be aware that 16" of penetration in gelatin doesn't mean 16" of penetration in flesh; it will be less.

152 Posts
That's exactly the way I think of the KS7 also Blue Sky.

I had one major problem with 1 3/4" shells. One reversed itself inside the gun. It was probably my fault with cycling the action, but if something can go wrong it probably will in serious usage when it counts. That sort of malfunction takes lots of time to clear and for that one reason I stopped considering them for HD use. But that was me and my KS7, they might be completely fine in yours. It needs to be tested thoroughly before proclaiming that they work.

I bought what I could of them when I could, before finding that problem with mine. Then they couldn't be purchased at all. So I started making my own 2" shells. In all my testing so far I have never had any malfunctions with mine. They function the same as 2 3/4" shells except they have reduced recoil.

Would they be safer? They are still deadly force and have the same issue with misses. I like them because at close range the 15 #4 buckshot (my loads) will totally destroy a small circle of tissue however deep they penetrate. I don't consider them for any distance, but at 10 yards they produce a pattern approx' 5-6 inches in diameter. That leads to huge trauma and that's exactly what the goal is. Would a bigger payload work better? Maybe. But with more mass coming out of the barrel also comes more recoil. Too, longer shells reduce the mag' capacity. Aguila 1 3/4" shells get 11 in the KS7 mag', my 2" shells get 10 in it, and 2 3/4" shells allow for 7. A 50% increase in mag capacity by changing nothing is pretty sweet. At close range I doubt that the target will notice any difference between a 1 3/4" buckshot load hitting it or a 2 3/4" load hitting it. If it didn't have the intended effect shoot again and destroy a new area and keep doing that until the message is received. One doesn't look for effect, once the shooting starts it continues until the threat ceases to be a threat. #4 buckshot might have problem getting through heavy winter clothing and subsequent penetration. Just something to be aware of. Slugs could be far too much. Check youtube for penetration testing. Be aware that 16" of penetration in gelatin doesn't mean 16" of penetration in flesh; it will be less.
I get 12 Aguila minis in my KS7 magazine tube. They cycle fine but I won’t load them for HD til I shoot a bunch of them. If I can get them on a ongoing basis. My LGS has a few boxes left in stock. Im going to buy all he has. I’m hoping he gets more. I’m assuming you have an aftermarket follower so you can only get 11 in?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I get 12 Aguila minis in my KS7 magazine tube. <snip> I’m assuming you have an aftermarket follower so you can only get 11 in?
Yes to the aftermarket follower, at least at the time of the test. I put the stock follower back in the other day and haven't tried again. I'll try it again today and return with the result.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Using slugs the mag tube definitely only holds 11 and just misses holding 12. I have no idea how many birdshot or buckshot it holds. That might be the difference.

152 Posts
Using slugs the mag tube definitely only holds 11 and just misses holding 12. I have no idea how many birdshot or buckshot it holds. That might be the difference.
hmm that’s weird, slugs or buckshot they’re the same outside physical size. What else could be in there causing you not to get that 12th round in. I noticed that there’s hardly any more space with 12 rounds. You can only push in another 1/4” or so.

·
Registered
579 Posts
hmm that’s weird, slugs or buckshot they’re the same outside physical size. What else could be in there causing you not to get that 12th round in. I noticed that there’s hardly any more space with 12 rounds. You can only push in another 1/4” or so.
Nothing else in the tube is different at this time. Maybe the spring is binding? IDK. I also don't see how it can be binding. I'm going to be working on it tomorrow. I'll try something different at that time if I remember.

The slugs actually sit out beyond the hull a bit.

152 Posts
I went to the range today and I’m happy to say my KS7 loves minishells! shot a bunch without any issues! It’s extremely accurate with the red dot out to I guess about 20 yards. The pattern is pretty tight. That’s all I need it for! I was tearin it up! I love the combo #4 & #1 buckshot. Yeah, it’ll do the job just fine. The aguila minI shells have become my go-to home defense round officially. Magazine holds 12 of them. But I still got plenty of Fiocci 2-3/4” .00 nickel plated buckshot left too. And some same brand reduced recoil .00 too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts