For Better or Worse!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Old_Bill, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I bought my new P-3AT about a year ago. Had a few problems but a little smoothing and oiling, plus firing about 200 rounds thru it seemed to cure it.

For the past 6 to 8 months I have carried the P-3AT in a pocket holster almost everyday. Hot or cold weather it was in my pocket.

Now, a pocket gun is just a tool to me. I don't have a love affair with guns, although I do own quite a few. I get no pleasure in cleaning one...to me it's just a chore that should be done...after it's been fired. Not every week or so.

So my P-3AT hasn't been cleaned since I last fired it....about 6 months ago.

I figured it would fire at least once, and of course I hoped that it would keep on firing until the clip was empty. But, then again...

Today I thought I'd see if it would work the way any good reliable pistol should work. If it didn't work properly, I planned to toss it and start carring my Glock 19...maybe buy a baby Glock?

I thought some of you might be interested that the P-3AT worked like a charm! It answered my needs by firing all 7 rounds without any problems.

I'm so pleased that I might give it a good cleaning tonight! :)

Bill

2. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    With the range being a good distance away, I try to get there once a month. My P-3AT also lives in my front pocket daily and I often wonder about dirt, dust, pocket lint. I do take pleasure in taking my guns apart, cleaning, lubing. So, if for any reason I couldn't get to the range, I would probably start a regular cleaning routine. My Glock 19 lives in the bedroom so I wouldn't worry too much about that one. But, my Kel Tec is my carry weapon, and would want it to work without issue when it came to crunch time so I would start a regular routine. The six month report is good to hear.

3. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    The ol' bell curve. Remember that one from school? Most people are average hight, a few are short, 1 or 2 really short, a few tall, and one or two really tall. Same for grades, smarts and all sorts of stuff. When you look at the aspects that a gun can have (power, capacity, accuracy, concealability, reliablity...) most are in the middle and a few are at the ends. Because the p3 has 3 or 4 "est's" (smallest, lightest, thinest, cheapest (in a good way :) )) to me it is way out on the end of a bell curve. I do not expect hassle free, easy grip, big capacity stuff. It is very small and that carries a price. If I want "to hell and back reliablility" high cap, nice grip,... I lug my sig around. I think my sig is a far better gun, but I always have my p3 with me, even when I've got my sig or .44mag on my side. I clean it atleast once a month and every time I shoot it. I did once drive a VW (that I paid 600 bucks for) for 6--7 years. I never change the oil. Not once. I drove the help out of that pup. I didn't "abuse" it, but I wound out every gear every time. It was old with a bunch of miles on it when I got it ($600) and 7 years later I got rid of it when the tranny died, not the engin. Anyway, enough rambling. If you are using it to back up your life, clean it ;)

4. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Good example you have there - thank you for posting it! I'd have to guess that your experience is THE most common - shoot seldom, clean seldomer. Not a "recommended" practice, but probably the most common for sure. Under such conditions, it's nice to know that the P3AT can still function!

5. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Love my P3 - nice to know it can "go without" for a while if she must. Who am I kidding, though -- she gets babied!

6. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I think I'd better add just a short footnote to my message.

I do know the value of having a clean weapon.

I once attented a Officer Safety Class where we were shown a photo of an Police Officer's revolver (back in the days when all POs carried revolvers) where the rounds had actually corroded in the cylinders to the point that the revolver's cylinder woun't turn!

We were told that the officer hadn't cleaned his revolver for several years, and had been killed when his weapon wouldn't fire. I didn't really believe the officer being killed part, but the revolver did look terrible!

Now, a true story...I wanted to take a revolver into a country that didn't permit hand weapons to be brought into their country. But, being somewhat stupid and bull headed I hid my revolver in a place i though was safe from detection and rode my motorcycle into this country. However, I didn't allow for rain!

Later after leaving the country, I retrieved the revolver and found a light coat of rust on it. Not thinking very well and wanting to stop the rust I sprayed the revolver real good with WD-10, wrapped it in a cloth rag, and headed for home where I removed all the rust, cleaned and oiled the gun.

Weeks later I discovered that the rounds had been damaged by the WD-40 when I fired one round and it failed to exit the 2-inch barrel!

I was luckly that when I fired the first round the bullet went only a short distance into the barrel and jamed the cylinder so that the cylinder wouldn't turn and let me fire a second round!

Needless to say these days WD-40 doesn't get close to any of my rounds!

Bill

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Good to hear you went through the entire mag without a hitch.

I've got a baby Glock (26) on me right now but I've also got my P3AT in my right front pocket. You could easily catch me without my Glock but almost never would you catch me without my P3AT.

Take care...

8. mrcorvetteman

mrcorvetteman New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    that is comforting to know. thanks

9. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Old_Bill -
    We could get this message side tracked into a "don't use WD-40 on a gun." Not going there . . .
    Leaving a lot of oil on or around ammo is never a good idea.

Just wanted to comment it is good to know the gun is not as frail as the size would lead one to believe.
    Seems a lot of people spend an inordinate amount of time tearing down their guns and cleaning them.
    I acknowledge a good cleaning is called for - on occassion, but often just a "field cleaning" will do just fine.

(looks like a hog your toting in the picture. . . back in the day )