Food -grilled-smoked-campfire fixings etc.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by burley, Aug 1, 2010.

1. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    There have been some food related threads in the counter but cooking outdoors well belongs in the Great Outdoors  ;)

I try to grill or smoke a mess of food every week so we have something to munch on during the work week. I'll get this started with last nights fixings, please follow up with your favorites  :)

Some tasty yardbird fingers seasoned with Chef Paul's no salt magic cajun spice.Some jalapeño peppers with cream cheese and sausage and some chicken breast with Chef Paul's Poultry seasoning;

[​IMG]

threw on some burgers and some cheese brats from Kurzweil's Country Meats

[​IMG]

and a rack of ribs also from Kurzweil's seasoned with Arthur Bryant's rib rub

[​IMG]

Any of you close to or passing thru western Mo or Kansas City  I suggest a stop by  Kurzweil's for some good food. They raise it, process and sell right off their farm

note the link is not working right now :-/ but google them and ya can find their locations ;)

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, I pulled a ribeye out of the ice box this morn. I'll be burning it over wood this eve. Nothing fancy, no seasoning, just a Vodka/Cranberry in hand, hot wood fire for a short amount of time, and some salt when it is on the plate. Got some Tomatoes and Baisle from the garden, and a chunk of fresh Mozzerela in the fridge. That with some balsimic makes a fine salad. Something for starch and we are good to go.  :)

Oh, btw, when we were at Tumbleweeds, we had some nice ribs. We got more than we could eat that night, and not by mistake. Well, on the way home Sunday, tooling thur Tenn, I thought "wow, those ribs would be great right now". Then I thought "Wow, wish I haden't left them in the hotel room fridge!" >:( :( :'(

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I trust you got a new bottle as I seem to remember helping to put a dent in the one you had at the motel in KY. :D

4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    I confess, I'm drinking the cheap stuff tonight. Buziness has picked up, but I'm still in "cheap mode". But hey, you swill enough of it, it works. ::)

5. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Grilled up a batch of food for the week again. Two pks of brats,cheese and beer. Couple of chicken breast. Rack of ribs with some Caribbean Cowboy BBQ sauce (good stuff). Some sirloin and a rib-eye steak. A few Mahi Mahi fillets seasoned and BBQ ed. Wife helped with some jalapeño poppers and corn on the cob an a couple baked potatoes. And I made up some baked BBQ beans with black strap molasses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jdeere562

Jdeere562 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    I'm especially eye-balling those ribs Burley, those look delicious! :)

7. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    What a spread! I love jalepeno poppers. We started using pineapple cream cheese to do ours; it adds a little sweet to the heat.

Another side item that my wife loves is slicing tomatoes thick, putting them in a pie pan, put a little italian dressing on them and top with mozzerella cheese. Put on the grill until the cheese melts.

8. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Dinners on, pics coming soon... ;)

got the grill prepped with some kingsford hickory;
    [​IMG]

prepping food, smoked sausage, peppers, vidalia onions,potatoes;
    [​IMG]

'bout there;
    [​IMG]

there;
    [​IMG]

:)

9. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    joe, i'm starting to not like you. you making me hungry all over again.

wish i had that much meat around here all the time...

10. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Grill-in weather today :)
    Cubed up some boneless pork ribs,smoked some apples,peaches and pineapples in Caribbean BBQ with some orange juice , sugar and spices ...
    Chicken fingers with pineapple and apple slices with some olive oil, butter and some of the BBQ sauce drizzled over the top...
    A few chix breast with some A. Bryant's rub and some jalapeño poppers ... Yum Yum ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Maybe February but we had spring like weather today  :)
    Had to get outside an fire up the grill. Shrimp,steak and roast pork kabobs with onion, peppers and pineapple dabbed with Sweet Bay Ray's  raspberry chipotle and Tony C's creole seasoning   , hot dogs burgers and cheese brats too um um good;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Fish-chicken-deer steak and a chop
    Too cold to enjoy the outdoors today but had to fire up the grill;

[​IMG]

13. Wrong_Way

Wrong_Way New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Damn you guys! There's four freakin' feet of snow on my deck, and I just spent the last 1/2 hour digging out the grill because of this thread!

14. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I thought about grilling last week but there was still too much snow on the deck! We added another 8 inches of snow today! Maybe I will try again next week!

Craig

15. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    5.5" snow here an freezing drizzel tonight oh joy :p

16. Dfib

Dfib New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Wow! I just ate and that was enough to make my mouth water!

Since it's still cold out my favorite smoked treat is Nova Lox.

2 sides of fresh salmon (skin and grey meat off) go into a dry brine of 2 lbs dark brown sugar and 3 lbs kosher salt for 4 hours.
    Move to wet brine with same amount of solute and enough H2O to cover the salmon for 4 more hours. (sample)
    Move to large clean container in the sink and run a trickle of H2O into the container for 1-2 hours until the fish remains lightly salty. (sample)
    Move to wire rack and air dry for about an hour or until a fine film forms on the salmon.
    Place in smoker and smoke at no more than 70F. I found that a slick way to accomplish this was to poke a new pen style soldering iron through a tin can, fill it with alder chips and use that as the smoke generator.
    In 4-6 hours you will be ready to remove delicious homemade Nova Lox. Slice very thin (fillet knife works well) and serve on crackers, bagels, in omelettes, on salads, or just eat it plain.

17. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Got a bit of grillin in today. Steak an shrimp on a stick. Smokin Guns BBQ on the beef and homemade sauce on the shrimp. Rounded off with some brats, dogs and burgers and a bit of grill fried chicken and fish... :)

[​IMG]

If ya want to try what I think is one of the mid-west's best BBQs call or e-mail
    Chet at Smokin Guns BBQ and tell him Burley sent ya. ;) Anyone going to the KTOG National Meet and Shoot that wants some PM me and I'll arrange to pick some up for ya and save on shipping.  ;)
    Not affiliated with them just a shooting acquaintance

18. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Cooked in a charity BBQ contest this weekend.  Here is a link to the event.  http://www.hogsforthecause.org/

Here is a pic of the pig we cooked- 75 lbs is a s big as we can fit on the smoker.

We also cooked shoulder, ribs and chicharones.

Didn't place in any category but it was fun and for a good cause. The event was well run and had a great draw.  Great music. Very much like a big backyard BBQ. I have cooked in Memphis in May before and I liked this a whole lot better.

here is a pic of the piggie we cooked- sorry to not have other pics but we were busy as a one leg man in an azz kicking competition.  

We cut back the belly fat to rub down the belly meat with rub and then trussed everything back up corset style to keep everything moist.  Came out great. No left overs!

PS- there are gators in that water you see behind the pig- this is in the middle of city park in NOLA! Cool.

[​IMG]

19. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    That sounds fun ('cept the gator part  :eek: course gator jerky ain't bad  ;D )

20. jeepsnfish

jeepsnfish New Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I should have taken pics of my chuckies yesterday. they were awesome! Next time for sure though!