Food for thought on mixing Ammo type in a Magazine

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 224lps, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Had a conversation with a friend today. Somehow we started to talk about guns. He gave me this thought on mixing ammo type in an automatic
    Round 1...(in the pipe) nastiest hollow piont you can get. As it is in the "pipe" no worry about a miss-feed.
    Round 2... (1st in the magazine) fully jacketed ball round. Most reliable not to jam. Better penatration
    Round 3.... Reliable Hollow piont.
    All rounds after that, FMJ ball ammo.

His thinking. First shot is the most important and maybe your only shot. Go for the round most likly to stop.
    Second shot. Most reliable round to work in your gun. Best garrentee if a second shoot. Better penatration then Hollow point that did not stop BG. Third shot, Hollow Piont, back to the damadge thought. After that, buy now the BG is gone or has taken cover, or the hollow pionts are not stopping him. If he has taken cover you need best penatration you can get. same if 2 hollow pionts you allready fired did not stop him. That is if you hit the BG. If first shots missed, BG has either taken cover or ran away. Or if round 3 miss feeds, becouse your gun has somehow decided it suddinly will not feed a hollow piont, if you clear the jam, remaning ammo being "ball" is most likely to work.

So, folks, your thoughts?

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: Food for thought on mixing Ammo type in a Maga

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

1 - if you are worried about feeding than the third round/second hp makes no sense.
    2 - your analysis assumes only one BG.  If you need more than 2-3 rounds its likely because there are more than one BGs.  

The above is why I alternate HP/FMJ with ammo that I know works because I test it.  I get the best of both world.

I sense a dust storm a comming.

-Scott

3. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007

I'll admit that when I first heard about all this here ammo-miscegenation I was against it.  I wanted to maintain the ammo purity of my magazines.  FMJ or HP--seperate but equal(ly effective--for different jobs).  

Anyhow, over the weeks, I've come around...  it's a new gun for a new world and therefore maybe I need to look at it in a new light.  So now I carry a Remington GS in the chamber with an American Eagle FMJ behind it, and then I go back and forth from Speer GD HPs to AE FMJs, basically for the same reasons as your friend described.  I'm also looking at using other rounds though--like the DPX, etc.  

One round that's good for all,
    then one round to penetrate;
    one round to fully-expand
    and completely incapacitate.

I wouldn't do this with ANY other of my guns (all HP all the time). I can totally see why some people might be against this--and if further testing shows it increases any chances of misfeeds or whatever, I'll go back to my old ways.

4. Re: Food for thought on mixing Ammo type in a Maga

I'm such a little stinker..... ;D

5. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007

More food for thought:

Your friend's thinking is based on the assumption that JHP is more effective than FMJ in .380.

[/storm]

6. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Active Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation

::)

7. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005

DPX/AE interleave for me.

Packer.

8. Re: Food for thought on mixing Ammo type in a Maga

Dust Storm HE Double L!!!!

I fear the mustard wars of old coming back! ;D

9. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005

I personally prefer all DPX HP.

For those who want a little of both I recommend carrying 2 guns with HP in one and FMJ in the other. If your enemy appears to be armor plated, you can choose to open the ball with FMJ, if not then choose the more effective IMO DPX HP.

A third alternative, which would appeal to me if I were coordinated enough, would be to open up with a gun in each hand like 2PP with one gun full of HP and the other full of FMJ. That would truly be a sight to see.

10. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005

The only gun I have ever stagger loaded was my P3AT.

Corbon DPX in the pipe, then a DoubleTap FMJ, DPX, FMJ, DPX, FMJ, DPX in the mag.

11. bob

bob New Member

Mar 19, 2007

One shot stop a myth.No one knows which shot will hit.Maybe all,maybe one,maybe none.I want the most effective penetration in the worst case scenarior with a hit.HP requires certain conditions be met.Less so for fmj.

12. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006

If you worry about JHP mis feeds/jams you :

A. Have not tested the gun enough
    B. Should carry only FMJ
    C. Should get a different carry gun
    D. Should carry a revolver

IMO, you're friend should load up with his 3rd round choice ;)

13. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006

Where IS that dead horse smiley, anyway?

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Uh:

[​IMG]

-Scott

Edited to add: Please do not take my answer to this request as any political statement as to the productivity of this thread. Discussion is good, and it often points out the falacy in the thinking of others :)

15. unit1069

unit1069 New Member

Jan 9, 2007

I carry all-Remington Golden Saber unti it starts to get into cooler weather, which it has this weekend. Now I am loaded Fiocchi 95-grain FMJ, GS, GS, F, GS, GS.

When full winter comes I will go to all FMJ for better penetration. Another alternative is Remington 88-grain JHP, with a good velocicity that often fails to expand and penetrates well. I figure if one or two do expand it's icing on the cake.

I don't think there's any sense in arguing which is the "best" round; however, what to carry, the mix, when to carry whatever, etc ... makes for a worthwhile discussion even if there is no one answer. It's an individual choice and nobody but you is going to be present if the crap ever hits the fan so think about it and make the best choice you can based on your own study and input from others.

16. Re: Food for thought on mixing Ammo type in a Maga

It's like I said food for thought. I posted this to get thoughts on it. Not to say it was right or wrong. I am the first to tell someone that they should carry what THEY feel comfortable with, both in gun make and callaber, and Ammo. Becouse if you are not comfortable with it, you are not going to carry it. And the gun and ammo you have with you when you need it, is always better then the one you left at home.

My best weapon for self defence is my 12 gadge, but I have yet to find a good CCW holster for it, so I carry my P3AT.

17. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005