Fobus Ankle Holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by the_joe, Aug 16, 2008.

1. the_joe

the_joe New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Would you all mind chiming in on the fobus ankle holster for the p3at? I've been looking at this one and I like the cant to it, but it doesn't have the mid-calf anchor that other ankle holsters have. Is the fobus holster good? Does it stay in place reasonably well? Does it retain the weapon the way it should? I ran a search on this topic, but wasn't able to find anything so I apologize if this is just a rehash.

And before we get into the debates about ankle carry vs. pocket I know that ankle carry isn't usually a preferred method. However, ankle carry is the only option for me at certain times when I need deep concealment. I also have a pocket holster, but it does print a bit in certain clothes.

Thanks for any help you all can provide! I don't want to drop $30 without knowing.

joe

2. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm thinking about carrying the p3at as a BUG on my ankle and my Kahr cw9 as primary when it gets cooler outside.

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Having tried both (although not this particular holster so I can't comment on that), I can say that the above statement about it being the "only option" might be a bit limiting.

I have found lots of situations where even ankle carry is not an option and www.smartcarry.com is. The smartcarry is hidden in any kind of clothing and is a much faster draw from standing up than an ankle holster would be. Drawing from driving or sitting at a desk could be better with ankle carry than smartcarry.

Ankle carry can be revealed by something as small as lifting your leg up to tie your shoes, stepping up a ladder to get something, even sitting and crossing your legs, etc. Smartcarry doesn't reveal in these situations. In fact I can't think of a single situation where smartcarry would not be more concealable - there might be some but I can't think of it.

Just an option - and if you can't tell I really like smartcarry when pocket carry is not an option.

-Scott

4. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

I have one. It does an excellent job retaining the weapon. It goes in and out easily but holds it very securely. This is the only ankle holster I have, so I can't compare it to other ankle holtsers. It isn't my favorite option for concealed carry, but it's a quality holster.