Fluff N' Buff

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hwkeye, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Hwkeye

Hwkeye New Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Hey All,

Just got done fluffnbuffn my new P3AT.... I was a bit sceptacle of the whole thing, but I figured I would give it a try.. wow! It really did work great... I can even feel the new smoothness of it all in my hand. I am impressed with it! What do you all think of the F&B???

2. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I did the F&B. I don't think the gun really needed it but I did it anyway.
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

3. Hwkeye

Hwkeye New Member

Apr 19, 2007

Yeah... I don't know how much i needed it as of now, but I figured, smoothing things out couldnt hurt! I think you will benefit from it Bree. I could really feel the slide smoothn' out!

4. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I put 150 rounds through it right after the F&B. Of course I did it in a very abusive way.
    :eek: ;D ;D
    Got her very hot and very dirty rapid firing some cheap ammo. Had two minor problems but nothing to write home to mom about. F&B probably helped.
    ;) ;) ;)

5. Hwkeye

Hwkeye New Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Awesome... I had a P3at a while back and did not do the F&B on it. I had some minor probs with it, but nothing too bad... I ended up getting rid of it (and regreted it) so I just purchased a new one! I figured I would F&B it... havent hit the range yet, but looking forward to it! Kinda want to wait for my finger extension to come in. :)

6. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    2 P3-ATs, 2 PF-9s, 2 P-11s.

None of them have had anything more than a basic field strip and cleaning. All 6 are flawless.

"We don't neeed no steeenking F&B" ;)

OR not. :) YMMV

I'm fine without.

7. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I always go thru a new gun and tear it down as far as practical.( ya gotta be carful ,I'v got a BLR and if you go too far on the tear down it'll cost ya about 70.00 in parts to repair-glad I talked the the GS before doing that one) If i find rough areas I smooth em out. The one I remember doing the most good on was a 870 Rem Wingmaster (not an express). That thing had a lot of rough areas and became smooth as silk (that was 1972 , my first brand new gun). I didn't wait on the first P3AT to F&B and it was having FTE and I ended up going at it a second time. The new P3 I have is in HC and I'm going to try it raw w/ 200 rounds before I decide on the F&B. It looks a lot better than the 1st one. I'll report back after I'v checked it out.

8. RJMcElwain

RJMcElwain New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Fluff and Buff on a new gun is cheap insurance if it's important that the gun always goes bang when you need it. A periodic fluff and buff on all other guns is just good sense.

Bob

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Yah - not because most of them need it, but because it teaches you a whole lot about your weapon. A F&B on my P3AT inspired me to get to intimately know a safe full of pistols, rifles and shot guns. And I am WAY more comfortable that I can fix minor issues myself and make a trip back to the factory of not needed - important if you are in the proverbial SHTF situation.

-Scott

10. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I have not F&B'd my P3AT, but probably should.

11. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Very good point

12. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I guess it should be mentioned that you can screw up Fluff and Buff. You can lose little parts, cause a spring to detach that needs to stay attached, or you can fluff or buff too much and damage the gun by taking it out of tolerance.

It is not a job for the ham-handed. So be reasonably gentle with the gun when you F&B. Don't go gouging into it. And know what parts should be there and where they should be before you start. If you read the directions from the web first and follow them carefully you will be just fine.

If you just dive in with a Dremel tool, some 80 grit sandpaper, and a strong belief in yourself... good luck!
    ::) ::) ::)

13. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    IMO, in a fluff and buff, the only thing you need with a dremel is the polishing wheel.

NO GRINDING. and lots of 600-800 grit sandpaper, by hand.

:cool:

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Didn't do a F&B on mine but did dry fire several hundred snap caps through the gun before live firing. Had failure to extract maybe every 3-4 rounds of live fire. New extractor from Kel-Tec fixed that problem. Metal catch, recently installed, fixed the next problem that developed - mag droppeing during firing. New slide will be needed to fix the peening problem (Ser. No. J2Rxx). I don't believe a F&B would have prevented or mitigated any of these three issues I've had & have (peening) with my P3AT. Please don't misunderstand I love the gun but it has been a problem child. :-[

15. Another F&B poll....  with a few more options.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1186430311/21#21

Bottom line for me..........I like to learn a gun.  What better way than take it a part and look at it?  I was always afraid to do that until I came to KTOG and actually did it on my 3AT.

[​IMG]

Join the club... do a fluff and buff!
    [​IMG]

My newest project is going to be a Colt Commander.  I will post before and after pics on the other guns thread when I am done.

16. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    +1 I agree with v-rj.

17. MY HIGHLIGHT.... Bree... did you mean to say 800 grit?

IMHO 80 grit would be Ham Handed as you say.

I agree with others above that say...... WET 600 grit paper, then WET 800 grit paper, then Dremel with polish compound.

I also trim up the plastic "over flash" with a razor blade and some sanding.

I will even clean up the mag well, and the magazine. It helps with free drops.

18. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
  19. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I like to polish the barrel and ramp with a fine wire wheel
    You can buy a 2 or 3 inch one to fit on a drill and buff away...
    the results are astounding - the barrel shines like a mirror
    in very little time
    and the bright silver reallly looks nice on the slide top.

[smiley=lolk.gif]