Fluff and Buff

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BigM, Aug 6, 2008.

1. BigM

BigM New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Need a really good gunsmith to do fluff and buff on P3AT.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re:  Fluff and Buff

Welcome BigM.

1 - its not really necessary in most cases. If your weapon is having problems why don't you share them with us and we can help with what it might need. And if it does need something we can very likely help you do it yourself.

2 - if you really don't want to do it yourself and want someone to help with it, it would be really helpful to know where you are?

-Scott

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

You don't need a "really good  gunsmith" to do a minor F&B. Anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability can do it very easily.

Most new P-3ATs don't need it anymore. As adamsesq said, if you are having problems describe them and maybe we can help you resolve them yourself. P-3ATs are really simple guns.

If you're not having problems, you don't need a F&B.

Bobo

4. BigM

BigM New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Fill the magazine and rack the slide. Will not feed the first round. Have to press the back of the slide to get into battery. Will not eject after any and all shots. Tried 3 different ammo companies FMJ'S. Fiocchi, Win white box, and Rem. Nothing made any difference. Hasn't gone into battery once or ejected round either. Frustrated. I'm in Dallas.

5. Re:  Fluff and Buff

If you are having troubles... let us know.......

If you just need the encouragement.....   go for it!

Where are you located?

6. BigM

BigM New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Dallas

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.htm
    Is the ejector still there (part 115)? They have a way of losing themselves if you're not careful.
    Also look at parts 181 and 182 to make sure they haven't broken or fell out.

8. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007

Welcome BigM:

Quick question - Have you disassembled it yet?

9. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

Most new P-3AT sometimes need a nudge when loading the first round. Make sure you slingshot the slide - really let it slam home. Once they are broken in (about 200 rounds) this usually goes away.

Did you clean it and lube it well?

Especially lube the slide rails, hammer interface, barrel lug, and recoil rod and springs. These all must move freely in order for the gun to cycle efficiently. If this is OK then...

The feed ramp and chamber must be clean and smooth (this where the F&B comes in). Just take a BIC type pen, wrap some 600 or 800 grit sandpaper around the non-writing end of the pen and polish the feed ramp and chamber until they are smooth and shiny. That's about all the F&B you might need for feeding and ejection problems.

Does the empty cartridge extract from the chamber OK, but not eject?

What might contribute to ejection problems is a missing ejector. They fall out and disappear easily during field stripping. This is the ejector (part #115)...
    [​IMG]

Bobo

10. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

The fact that it has not ejected or fed a single round properly is a little disturbing.

I'm wondering if maybe the guide rod spring is broken, crimped or otherwise misshapen. I think the dis assembly question from NTS is a valid place to start.

The fact that it repeatedly won't push a round into battery on it's own would have me worried about unsupported casings and kabooms.

11. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

The very FIRST thing to try is a good cleaning & lube, with GREASE on the rails & hammer interface.

12. BigM

BigM New Member

Aug 4, 2008

10-4 will try tonight and let you know tomorrow. thanks guys

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Having to bump the rear of the slide is fairly common during breakin (100-200 rounds).

Make sure the allen screw (2 mm) on the extractor leaf spring is snug.  If that screw is loose, it will not extract/eject properly.

14. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004

Probably not if my experience and a few others is any indication. I left out the ejector once accidently (didn't notice I forgot to replace it after cleaning) and went to the range and it shot just fine. I caught my mistake only when I disassembled it to clean. A few others have reported the same thing.

15. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006

You might be able to get away with leaving the ejector out but if the extractor is missing because the spring broke and it fell out it will cause some problems.