Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may wind up spending a few days down in Florida in the near future. What are the rules about fishing licenses in Fla. for saltwater? Is there a license nowadays? Are there different rules for fishing from shore versus going out on a boat? Are there any nasty surprises in the rules? I think that I heard that there are size limits now on certain species so I thought maybe you need a license now (or am I thinking of another Gulf state?). In the old days, fishing in Fla. involved taking a rod to the shore and getting some bait and that was about it. I haven't fished in Fla. for years and I don't want to inadvertently get in trouble.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Residents and non-residents have different license requirements. But I have never been checked surf-fishing.;) Check the FL website and do what you feel comfortable with.

Florida site

Haugrdr was faster than me to post! Yeah what he said

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, what I may do is get a license and then do all catch and release since that is normally how I fish anymore and in any event, it may not be real convenient to clean them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Florida residents don't need a license to fish from the shore or a pier.

Non-residents need a license. It's $17 for 3 days or $30 for 7 days.
You don't need a license if your fishing from a chartered fishing boat.

Tons of size limits. Too many for me to list. Best check these links:

http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/saltwater-fishing/

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/
This is no longer correct for florida residents. Florida residents need either the $17 saltwalter license, the "free" shoreline saltwater license. A freshwater license is always needed for freshwater.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
I dunno, I found this...

Anglers must buy a saltwater fishing license when fishing in the coastal waters of the state or taking marine species. The license is required for finfish, shellfish and shells. Separate permit stamps costing $2 each are required for taking snook and crawfish. A special $50 stamp is needed to take and possess a single tarpon. No stamp is needed to catch and release snook or tarpon. Florida residents pay $13.50 per year or $11.50 for 10 days. Nonresidents pay $31.50 per year, $16.50 for seven days and $6.50 for three days.
The following persons are exempt:

• Children younger than 16 and Florida residents older than 65.
• Florida residents fishing in saltwater from land or a structure fixed to land.
• Persons fishing with a licensed operator of a boat charging fees for fishing.
• Florida residents who are members of the United States Armed Forces, stationed out of state and home on leave. state of Florida department of veterans and community affairs or worker compensation notice of action.
• Handicapped residents and residents certified totally and permanently disabled.
• Non-Florida residents fishing from a pier that has paid a license fee

·
Registered
72 Posts
There's more...

You don't need a saltwater fishing license if:

A resident who is saltwater fishing from land or a structure fixed to land who has been determined eligible for the food stamp, temporary cash assistance, or Medicaid Program by the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS). Proof of identification and a benefit issuance or program identification card issued by DCFS or the Agency for Health Care Administration must be on your person when fishing.

That sorta gets me. I remember when I didn't need anything at all to fish from a pier or bridge. Now I need a license to do that, unless I'm getting government assistance?

From what I gather, the fee for the 1 year resident shoreline license for me is $0.00. (?) I wonder if they'll take a check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts