Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gov. Rick Scott has refused a request from the Mayor of Tampa to prohibit the carrying of guns in downtown Tampa during the Republican National Convention this summer.

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn had written to Scott asking for an executive order that would override state and federal laws allowing people with concealed weapons permits to carry firearms. He and other officials are worried about people toting guns in such a politically charged atmosphere.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-during-republican-convention/#ixzz1tmGb9wq6

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/02/2779223/scott-refuses-to-ban-guns-during.html

In his letter to Scott, Buckhorn noted that Florida's firearms laws do not authorize anyone with a concealed-weapons permit to carry a gun into certain places, including athletic events, polling places and meetings of the Legislature.

"An event like the RNC may not have been contemplated at the time these statutes were enacted, but the city strongly believes that the RNC meets the spirit of the exemptions," Buckhorn said.

But Scott responded that "while the government may enforce longstanding prohibitions on the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, an absolute ban on possession in entire neighborhoods and regions would surely violate the 2nd Amendment."

He further said "it is unclear how disarming law-abiding citizens would better protect them from the dangers and threats posed by those who would flout the law. It is at just such times that the constitutional right to self-defense is most precious and must be protected from government overreach."

Scott said he is confident that the "many federal, state and local law enforcement agencies focused on the RNC will fully protect Floridians and visitors, without the need to resort to sweeping infringements on our most sacred constitutional traditions.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Good for him!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good for him ! ! !

If the sissy libs are too frightened by the thought that some law-abiding citizens may be carrying and will be able to defend themselves from the pond scum predators, then they should stay away... We don't need them sucking up our precious Oxygen.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Buckhorn had said the state law has made the city "look silly," particularly because officials can ban water guns but not real ones.
As if he doesn't already "look silly" for banning water guns...

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Buckhorn is no different than any of the millions of other antis in our nation. They are incapable of separating their emotions from their thinking processes. Logic clearly illustrates that the law abiding are not the ones who pose a threat. Those who are law breakers are the ones that pose any threat. Sadly, most antis are incapable of seeing the difference. Then there are those like Chuck Scheumer who know the difference but whose agenda is malicious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gov. Scott made the correct call. But, I'm going to keep my always armed butt as far away from downtown Tampa as I can that week.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good to hear Gov, now we need to work on Nelson
Nelson needs to get FIRED! -- Not only is he hurting the good citizens of Florida, he is hurting the whole nation...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tread lightly.

If I were to go to the RNC, I'd make sure that I was with a very large and very sober group with similar goals, opinions, beliefs, and thoughts. The boy scouts have a motto worth knowing.

Date of the RNC convention?

Ballot or bul....? any questions?

This election year is going to be more interesting than the past two elections.

·
Grand Poobah
1,366 Posts
Buckhorn is no different than any of the millions of other antis in our nation. They are incapable of separating their emotions from their thinking processes. Logic clearly illustrates that the law abiding are not the ones who pose a threat. Those who are law breakers are the ones that pose any threat. Sadly, most antis are incapable of seeing the difference. Then there are those like Chuck Scheumer who know the difference but whose agenda is malicious.
I'm a liberal Democrat and actually agree with Sen. Schumer on quite a few issues. Not gun rights, of course, which have become a litmus test for me. I don't know him personally, but he strikes me as sleazier than most politicians. I get bad vibes when I see him on TV and just don't trust him. That is more important than agreeing with him politically. If I had the misfortune of living in New York, I would support and vote for any primary challenger he had, and if he were still the nominee, I would vote Republican.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nothing to do with the GOP Convention. But given the status of Hurricane Issac just wanted to interject remember "Never Again". Pray for those souls in the wake of the storm and hopefully not to repeat the aftermath we as a free society suffered.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X9JkSudCX4[/ame]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, we made it through the Republican Convention and did not have a single incident reported by the media where a person licensed to carry disrupted the convention by use of a firearm. Apparently we Floridians are not as wild and dangerous as the media seems to want to portray us. Good call, Gov. Scott!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts