flash hider install

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by stosman, Apr 22, 2010.

1. stosman

stosman New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    ok,i'm  looking for a little help/advise on installing a yhm phantom flash hider. i finally received it after a long time on back order. odd thing is it doesn't want to thread more than a couple turns. looking inside the threads continue into the hider but it just locks up and stops turning/threading. i think if i were to use a wrench and force it it may destroy some threading. anyone else ever experience anything like this. i'm thinking i may have to take the a1 off my plr16 to see if it fits those threads ok but thought i'd post up a question here first. thanks for your thoughts.

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    The PLR-22, PLR-16, SU-22 and SU-16 all have 1/2-28 right hand threads. You sure you have the right flash hider (.22 LR or .223)?

3. stosman

stosman New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    hmm, i was thinking there was no difference as long as the thread was 1/2 x 28. sounds like i need one specifically for the 22 lr? the one i have is for ar15.

4. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    any ar- flash hider will work. I think yours may be a dud.

5. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Sorry for the confusion caused by my last post. I meant that any .22 LR or .223 muzzle device should have 1/2-28 right hand threads and should work on the SU-22.

Pretty much, what rj said. :)

YHM makes good stuff. I doubt they used the wrong threads, and I doubt it shipped with messed up threads. The first place I'd check would be a visual inspection of the male threads on the SU-22. If the thread protector was off and something whacked into the threads, they could be bent.

The YHM is steel on steel, so it's not too galling. If I knew the threads were correct (there are gages for that), I'd lube the threads and apply a bit of extra torque. On the positive side, that flash hider probably isn't going to fall off!

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    find someone with a threaded ar barrel and try it on their gun. that will tell you if it is your su-22 or the flash hider....

7. stosman

stosman New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    pulled the a2 off my plr 16 and the yhm did the same. only threaded a couple turns and stopped. tried the a2 on my su22 and threaded on just fine. guess its the hider threading. wonder if they mixed up and sent me one for an ak instead of the ar? next will be a trip to the local gun shop to see if they will try threading it on an ak to find out?

8. stosman

stosman New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    ok, so i googled the part # and according to yhm site the one i have is the 6.8/ 7.63. contacted valhalla tactical supply and they are shipping me out the correct hider along with a prepaid envelope to return the wrong on.