Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked it yesterday and was anxious to take it for a test run. The first 4 or 5 rounds out of all 3 mags failed to feed properly. I could pull the slide back and release, and it would chamber. Or I could punch the slide forward with the heel of my hand and it would chamber. There were also a few Failure to Eject. I shot all 3 mags twice for 6 mags total, all with the same result. I was thinking that it needs to be broke in a little.

I was going to go through another set of the 3 mags and it JAMMED tight, slide forward (but not completely closed leaving about a 32nd of an inch (1/2cm?)) And a round in the chamber.

It looks like the round may be fully seated, but the ejector is behind the rim and not gripping the rim so that the round could be extracted.

The slide will not operate. It is STUCK and just barely able to move at all.

I fiddled with it a bit and was fairly irritated by then and decided to put it back in the case and go home rather than do something stupid with a live round in the chamber.

I see two options, 1- try to take it apart myself, 2- send it back. Usually I'd take it apart, but this time I think I'll send it back.

I'm really hoping to like this gun and am willing to withhold judgment for now.

Just throwing this out there for your entertainment.

Phil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
SCADAman29325:

My P17 has a partial cocked (hammer) position that will lock the slide (won't move back very far) if the safety is on.
If the extractor isn't hooking the cartridge's rim... perhaps?

Trigw

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Just picked it yesterday and was anxious to take it for a test run. The first 4 or 5 rounds out of all 3 mags failed to feed properly. I could pull the slide back and release, and it would chamber. Or I could punch the slide forward with the heel of my hand and it would chamber. There were also a few Failure to Eject. I shot all 3 mags twice for 6 mags total, all with the same result. I was thinking that it needs to be broke in a little.

I was going to go through another set of the 3 mags and it JAMMED tight, slide forward (but not completely closed leaving about a 32nd of an inch (1/2cm?)) And a round in the chamber.

It looks like the round may be fully seated, but the ejector is behind the rim and not gripping the rim so that the round could be extracted.

I fiddled with it a bit and was fairly irritated by then and decided to put it back in the case and go home rather than do something stupid with a live round in the chamber.

I see two options, 1- try to take it apart myself, 2- send it back. Usually I'd take it apart, but this time I think I'll send it back.

Phil.
Just to let you know, this is not our idea of entertainment. lol. I for one am concerned about your bad experience. I hope that you figure this out or get satisfaction from Kel-Tec. I have six Kel-Tec firearms and love them for their uniqueness, but in the guns that have feed ramps (the CP33 doesn't and that has caused me problems in itself) the feed ramp is lacking and must be polished almost before you shoot the firearm, or better yet, replaced with a metal replacement. If you can somehow get the gun unjammed, polish the ramp well and keep it lubricated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll take another look at it tomorrow with a better attitude and a safe environment. Might put a wooden dowel in the barrel just emphasize where it is pointed while fiddling with a loaded gun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I'll take another look at it tomorrow with a better attitude and a safe environment. Might put a wooden dowel in the barrel just emphasize where it is pointed while fiddling with a loaded gun!
I wouldnt advise that, if it were to go off your going to destroy your barrel. Pointed in a safe direction is more than enough, you'll get it fixed. good luck man

·
Registered
161 Posts

Phil.
So....any news? Did you get it unstuck?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got around to fiddling with P17. Still couldn't get it clear no matter what I did. Called the store and they said do not bring a loaded gun into the store. Asked them, they said to take it to a gunsmith, get it unloaded, then send it to Keltec. I found one nearby and made arrangements. In the mean time, I called Keltec, they said send it back to them, and sent me a prepaid FedEx label. Put it in the mail the next day. That was about 10 days ago. Here's what they said. I'm happy, we'll see how it shoots soon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Kel Tec didn't say why it got stuck (locked up) but replaced a lot of components. Sounds like the barrel somehow grabbed the spent 22LR case causing it to be locked in place. The extractor was held to the case rim preventing the slide from moving back open. Somehow the frame internals got damaged. Very catastrophic. I've not seen or heard of that with any firearm before (centerfire or rimfire). Very odd occurrence in my opinion.

Trigw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kel Tec didn't say why it got stuck (locked up) but replaced a lot of components. Sounds like the barrel somehow grabbed the spent 22LR case causing it to be locked in place. The extractor was held to the case rim preventing the slide from moving back open. Somehow the frame internals got damaged. Very catastrophic. I've not seen or heard of that with any firearm before (centerfire or rimfire). Very odd occurrence in my opinion.

Trigw
FWIW, As best I could tell the extractor was not hooked to the shell. With the little movement the slide had (maybe 1/16"), it was definetly clear of the rim. I do not think it was spent shell.

Regardless, I liked the work they put into it. Hopefully there will not be any future issues.

Thanks, Phil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.